New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Can You Please Help Me

Old 12-11-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can You Please Help Me

I have a 2004 crossfire. A couple of months ago I was driving the down the street when the car jumped then stalled. All the lights illuminated (including the check engine light). I had the crank sensor replaced. The car ran okay until this week when again as I am driving the car jumped and stalled. At this point I had both the crank and cam sensor replaced. The car will now not start. I tries to but won't. All dash lights illuminate and radio goes on. WHAT DO I DO?

Old 12-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Can You Please Help Me

First, what brand of CPS(Crankshaft sensor) did you use? We try an stress Bosch, it works better with these cars, after market brands seem not to make a good connection to the plug in. When you say jump, do you mean an increase in the throttle or a shut down of engine response?

Old 12-11-2017, 03:04 PM

Shut down of engine response. I will have to look and see what brand of sensor. I very much want to thank you for responding to my inquiry.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:58 PM

Search our forum for, "mystery no start", "RCM" also. We have a member who graciously repairs them, for beer money...lol. No, for $30 he'll repair it, then send it home. He's listed as "tighted1". You can direct email him,, that's what he prefers...

Old 12-12-2017, 06:58 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

DJ's ( tighed1 ) email address is tighed1@hotmail.com

Old 12-12-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
DJ's ( tighed1 ) email address is tighed1@hotmail.com
Auto correct decided he should have a "t",put in his user name.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:41 AM

I would like to ask all crossfire owners if they think it is worth holding on to the car? My 2004 has 115,000 miles currently. To date I have replaced the disk brakes, sensors, and of course tires.I love the car but wonder if it is worth keeping. Once I have the RCM replaced, will it keep giving me problems? I would appreciate any thoughts out there.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

I plan to keep mine for the rest of my life but that is my choice. I bought mine with a little over 5000 miles on it in 2005. You need to ask yourself what you would replace it with that would make you happy. No matter what you own it will require maintenance and occasional repairs. Most any work you can do yourself with information available on this forum. I have owned many cars in my life I wish I would have held onto. Some are worth a small fortune today, especially my 1962 Corvette.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

"Christmas Tree effect" on another Chrysler line was caused by a bad ground near the battery. Have you recently worked near the battery ?

Old 12-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dgenantonio
I would like to ask all crossfire owners if they think it is worth holding on to the car? My 2004 has 115,000 miles currently. To date I have replaced the disk brakes, sensors, and of course tires.I love the car but wonder if it is worth keeping. Once I have the RCM replaced, will it keep giving me problems? I would appreciate any thoughts out there.
Ah, the price and pride of ownership. The car is 13 years + old with 115,000 miles, things wear out. You could have another car with the same problems, one of them being it isn't a Crossfire.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:28 PM

And mine has 134,000. Change the oil and replaced the rear tires is all. Worst problem was a dealer that could not reset the Airbag light after the recall. Now have an ICarSoft MBII that can.

Have had a number of cars with over 120k miles. SBCs use oil. Mercs and Buicks do not. No idea how many on the Judge but can still break the ton in third.

'12 Jeep just broke 50k but have a lifetime warranty. Just bought an '01 SLK320 (Crossfire with retractable hardtop) with 68k.

Personally do not pay much attention to miles or years, condition is everything.

ps also had an all-expense-paid vacation in SEA.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:16 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Search our forum for, "mystery no start", "RCM" also. We have a member who graciously repairs them, for beer money...lol. No, for $30 he'll repair it, then send it home. He's listed as "tighted1". You can direct email him,, that's what he prefers...
He used to drink beer but now he has the taste for good single malts.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Question Re: Can You Please Help Me

To date the RCM, cam sensor, and crankshaft sensor has been replaced. I took everyone's suggestion and replaced sensors with Bosch. Still intermittent start and now backfires badly. Is it possible for a clogged fuel filter to cause this new issue? Does anyone have any other suggestions for required repairs?

I want to thank everyone on this forum for their inputs and suggestions. You all have been a big help. I love this car and just want to get it back on the road.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

It sounds like a timing issue. Be sure the correct sensors were put in. Maybe try the old ones, one at a time and see if your back firing issue goes away.

James

Old 12-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

You should also get the Diagnostic Trouble Codes read with an OBDII reader. It is a free service at most auto parts stores or you could purchase an inexpensive one. A lot of people on the forum have "UltraGauge" which we travel with. smaller than a pack of cigarettes, so easily fits in the glove compartment.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zip439
You should also get the Diagnostic Trouble Codes read with an OBDII reader. It is a free service at most auto parts stores or you could purchase an inexpensive one. A lot of people on the forum have "UltraGauge" which we travel with. smaller than a pack of cigarettes, so easily fits in the glove compartment.

I use the ultragauge and keep it plugged in permanently, affixed to the windshield in the lower left. Unobtrusive and always ready. It also can display many parameters of the cars operating condition.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:52 PM

And I have Torque Pro for general use and an iCarSoft MB-II specifically for Mercedes and Crossfire. Suspect about as much has been spent throwing parts at it.

Backfire can have several mechanical causes also. Leaking injector is likely but should show up as a P030x code.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:07 PM

Once the crank shaft sensor was replaced with Bosch and the RCM was replaced, the codes all cleared. However, this is when the backfire issue started. I turn the key and wait to hear the fuel pump kick in then turn on. It may start w/the backfire or it may just not want to start.