Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Can you help? Please!!!

Old 11-27-2006, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you help? Please!!!

I have a 2004 crossfire and need the shift lever module replaced. Can any one explain to me what the hell it is and how does it work (price, where I can find one, new or used... any info will help)? I know it sound stupid but I would like to know a little bit about it when I take it in to be repaired, so they don't look at me like I'm just another dumb blond. Thanks.

Leighanne

Old 11-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Can you help? Please!!!

You need to get the proper item name before I can give you any help. There is no such thing as a shifter control module.

There is an Engine Control Module and a Transmission Control Module, both of which are integral parts of the computer systems that run your car. Neither is a DIY repair since they must be programmed to each specific car through the DRB port.

If you're looking to have it done (non-warranty) I would have an independent mercedes mechanic do the repairs. Once you identify which item is faulty (correct part name) post it here, there may be a way to try to re-program the faulty part without having to purchase a new one.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my work order from Chrysler it says," Found that the ABS Cab Module, Shift link module E and Spoiler Switch shorted. ( Noticed syrup type material on wiring)." Part # 5140827AA, 5114036AA, 5096805AA.
One of the things I'd like to know is, Where is the module located? Chrysler said it was located under where the shifter is, kind of where the cupholder is located. If so, isn't that kind of a stupid area to put the cupholder in case of a spill? Thanks for your help.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If that's all it is... It is plug and play... There is a ABS module located under the center console between the cup holder and the shift lever... Call Chrysler Parts Direct and ask for Lenny (888) 473-9069 give him your part #'s and install in yourself if you're absolutely sure they have diagnosed the problem correctly... Download the maintenance manual here on the forum and hand it to your hubby with a 6 pack of his favorite beer...

Old 11-30-2006, 02:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a somewhat common repair on a variety of Mercedes vehicles. A soft drink or coffee finds it's way into the shifter and kills the module. When that happens, the shifter usually gets replaced.
Derek is correct in the fact that it will require a Mercedes (in this case properly equipped Chrysler) repair facility to program the shifter to the car. Until the car is formally introduced to the new part, you're not going to go anywhere.
When I took my SRT into our shop, the only two systems we could not get in to was the ESP and shifter. I had one of our Mercedes shop foremen working on it and that was as far as he could get.
If that wasn't a mistake by my tech, then you may have to go to a Chrysler shop and skip the Mercedes guys.