Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Calipers for an amg E55

Old 11-30-2006, 02:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calipers for an amg E55

This might be a question for only hddp but I hope someone knows. Will AMG calipers from a 2005 e55 fit the crossfire? Are they the same 8 piston that the srt6 runs?

Old 11-30-2006, 02:35 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Calipers for an amg E55

No. Not even close.
The SRT runs a slider caliper, not a multi-piston fixed setup like many AMG and other Mercedes cars.
The brakes are essentially the same as a 2000 E320 sedan and SLK32. The part numbers on our rotors start with the number 210 which designates the E-class from '96 to '02.

As for what the E55 has, I'm all too familiar with them. Take a look at my science project update in the "other cars" section. I'm mounting a set of the S55 brakes on my hot rod this week. Gotta love the employee discount on Mercedes parts.
The only difference in the S55 and E55 is the offset of the rotor. The CLS55 uses the E55 setup and the SL55/CL55 is similar but with a different offset on the rotor. The SL55 with the 030 performance package gets the SL65/CL65 composite (two piece) brake rotors with a similar monster caliper.
The AMG brakes won't retrofit on some of the non-AMG cars due to a difference in the steering knuckle. We've had a couple guys who bought the big brakes off wrecked cars try to stick 'em on their non-AMG S-classes. One of 'em decided to try redrilling his steering knuckle to bolt up the caliper and the other told us he was going to sell the stuff on eBay. We never heard back from either of them.

Last edited by feets; 11-30-2006 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
This might be a question for only hddp but I hope someone knows. Will AMG calipers from a 2005 e55 fit the crossfire? Are they the same 8 piston that the srt6 runs?
feets is right...the entire attaching points are different... Why not just use the SRT6 upgrade package ? it's four piston front, two rear... Dude, I run those SRT brakes so freakin' hard on the track and they haven't failed me yet... Porterfield race pads, ATE Super Blue race fluid... I only have a problem when I have to stop for a cop... Then they don't seem to work very well.

Last edited by HDDP; 11-30-2006 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
feets is right...the entire attaching points are different... Why not just use the SRT6 upgrade package ? it's four piston front, two rear... Dude, I run those SRT brakes so freakin' hard on the track and they haven't failed me yet... Porterfield race pads, ATE Super Blue race fluid... I only have a problem when I have to stop for a cop... Then they don't seem to work very well.
My brakes never worked on my CBR when that happened must be the same problem. Thanks guys yeah I was just looking for a cheaper route and the brembo package from amg was only $1,200 on ebay used. No one else makes a kit not baer not brembo not wilwood nothing. brembo has some sort of set up but a bit on the expensive side.

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 11-30-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but does not the SLK230 Kompressor have a fairly large brake rotors and two piston calipers larger than base model XF's?

If I remember correctly someone on here did a conversion with the 230 parts for about $500 to completion. this might be a cheaper upgrade.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
My brakes never worked on my CBR when that happened must be the same problem. Thanks guys yeah I was just looking for a cheaper route and the brembo package from amg was only $1,200 on ebay used. No one else makes a kit not baer not brembo not wilwood nothing. brembo has some sort of set up but a bit on the expensive side.
I know that Brembo has a kit, they used my car back in 2004 for all the measurements. It's basically the same kit for the SLK32... Their retail price is in the low $3k range... Way out of the price range for average Joe... If you own a limited, you can upgrade to the SRT6 brakes for about $1,700 and it's a DIY weekend project... That's what I did...

Old 11-30-2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by dynamicS
Correct me if I'm wrong but does not the SLK230 Kompressor have a fairly large brake rotors and two piston calipers larger than base model XF's?

If I remember correctly someone on here did a conversion with the 230 parts for about $500 to completion. this might be a cheaper upgrade.
Why bother with larger rotors and the same 2 piston calipers that the car already has on it ? That's not going to help you !!! Trust me, the best thing you can do with your brakes (for a reasonable price) is upgrade to the SRT6 calipers & rotors with Porterfield pads and ATE Super Blue fluid...

Old 11-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Forum Regular

I will have to try searching MBforums for the dimensions on the 230 kompressor, I could swear someone has pictures here of their conversion to them. If you can save $1,200 over the SRT6 brakes I would go with the Kompressors setup. It might be an even easier conversion to the SLK230 twin pistons? But you have to check into it. I'll see what I find.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Forum Regular

Why bother with larger rotors and the same 2 piston calipers that the car already has on it ? That's not going to help you !!! Trust me, the best thing you can do with your brakes (for a reasonable price) is upgrade to the SRT6 calipers & rotors with Porterfield pads and ATE Super Blue fluid...
The limited XF doesn't have twin piston calipers, mine has the single piston front calipers, while the Kompressor has upgraded brakes compared to Limited XF. But I'm not gonna argue about it yet since I'm still looking for the brake specs.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Forum Regular

I sell parts at a Mercedes dealer and know exactly what comes on the SLK. Believe in Derek when he tells you that the SRT brake package is the one to go with.
Yes, you can get a slightly larger rotor with the SLK230 parts but it's not worth the hassle. If you're going to do it, do it right and grab the SRT stuff.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:38 AM

Not to mention the fact that the new E55 setup with the 8 piston calipers weighs ~ 80 lbs. Talk about wayyy to much unsprung and rotating weight.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by feets
I sell parts at a Mercedes dealer and know exactly what comes on the SLK. Believe in Derek when he tells you that the SRT brake package is the one to go with.
Yes, you can get a slightly larger rotor with the SLK230 parts but it's not worth the hassle. If you're going to do it, do it right and grab the SRT stuff.
I agree by all means the SRT is the way to go, but for those of us on a budget the slk230 might be the best use of money, when upgrading brakes.

Can you tell me what is the diameter of the SRTrotor and SLK230 rotor is as compared to stock crossfire rotor?

Old 12-01-2006, 01:49 PM

I agree by all means the SRT is the way to go, but for those of us on a budget the slk230 might be the best use of money, when upgrading brakes.

Can you tell me what is the diameter of the SRT rotor and SLK230 rotor is as compared to stock crossfire rotor?
I posted the specs somewhere on the forum last year when I upgraded... You can't just put a larger rotor on with the OEM Limited calipers... the OEM caliper is designed for the 11" rotor.

If my memory serves me the SRT rotor size is 14", the Limited 11" front... SRT caliper is dual piston, Limited is single piston front.

Here's the link... the specs are listed in PDF's in one of my posts.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...+brake+upgrade

Old 12-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Forum Regular

I posted the specs somewhere on the forum last year when I upgraded... You can't just put a larger rotor on with the OEM Limited calipers... the OEM caliper is designed for the 11" rotor.

If my memory serves me the SRT rotor size is 14", the Limited 11" front... SRT caliper is dual piston, Limited is single piston front.

Here's the link... the specs are listed in PDF's in one of my posts.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...+brake+upgrade
Hey thanks for that link!

Old 12-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Forum Regular

I finally got a few minutes to kill at work and took a tape measure into the warehouse. The SLK 230 has the same size brakes as the Limited. Nothing to be gained there. The SLK 320 has the bigger discs. Obviously, the SLK 32 has the good stuff.

Those monster E55 brakes are a wee bit heavy. The calipers really don't weigh much more than a smaller cast iron or steel caliper. The aluminum really helps. However, the rotors are 27 lbs each. That's ugly. The flip side is that you've got MUCH more braking force to slow down the rotating weight.
Should you be working on a purpose built car with custom tailored suspension, the unsprung weight will cause you to rethink your spring and damper rates.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by feets
I finally got a few minutes to kill at work and took a tape measure into the warehouse. The SLK 230 has the same size brakes as the Limited. Nothing to be gained there. The SLK 320 has the bigger discs. Obviously, the SLK 32 has the good stuff.

Those monster E55 brakes are a wee bit heavy. The calipers really don't weigh much more than a smaller cast iron or steel caliper. The aluminum really helps. However, the rotors are 27 lbs each. That's ugly. The flip side is that you've got MUCH more braking force to slow down the rotating weight.
Should you be working on a purpose built car with custom tailored suspension, the unsprung weight will cause you to rethink your spring and damper rates.
Ahh good to know, I see I had it mixed up between the 320 and 230, damn you dyslexia!

Feets, If you can get a chance, what does your dealership charge for the SLK320 rotor, caliper, and anchor assembly? How much larger is the diameter of 320 rotor compared to the Limited rotor?

Old 12-01-2006, 10:23 PM

Ahh good to know, I see I had it mixed up between the 320 and 230, damn you dyslexia!

Feets, If you can get a chance, what does your dealership charge for the SLK320 rotor, caliper, and anchor assembly? How much larger is the diameter of 320 rotor compared to the Limited rotor?
The SLK320 is the exact same braking system as the Limited... Sizes, etc... Geezus... How many times do I have to go through this...

LIMITED = SLK320
SRT6 = SLK32

Old 12-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Forum Regular

The SLK320 is the exact same braking system as the Limited... Sizes, etc... Geezus... How many times do I have to go through this...

LIMITED = SLK320
SRT6 = SLK32
Unfortunately HDDP, either your wrong or Feets is wrong.
From what I understand in Feets last post:
He says: Limited = SLK230
SLK320 larger than Limited
SRT6 = SLK32

Old 12-02-2006, 12:13 AM

Unfortunately HDDP, either your wrong or Feets is wrong.
From what I understand in Feets last post:
He says: Limited = SLK230
SLK320 larger than Limited
SRT6 = SLK32
You're an idiot...

Old 12-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Forum Regular

You're an idiot...
You're a retard, why are you being an a$$hole. I'm trying to figure this out because I hardly think you know much of anything. I'd rather get my information from a real parts guy, so don't participate anymore.

Last edited by dynamicS; 12-02-2006 at 12:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Calipers for an amg E55