New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Rally Car?

Old 12-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rally Car?

I bought my wife an SRT6 several years ago as a present. We now find ourselves retired and moving to the mountains 22 miles from a paved road. She really loves the car so we hate to sell it. I googled as well as I could and can not find any lifted/rally modded Crossfires. Crazy idea? Thoughts? Where would be the best place on the forum to ask?

Last edited by backcountry; 12-27-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Rally Car?

I think it's a great idea! Maybe you could send an email to ground control or bilstein?

Last edited by alexdc; 12-19-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by alexdc
I think it's a great idea! Maybe you could you send an email to ground control or bilstein?
Thanks. I figured people would freak out if I even considered doing something like that to an SRT6!

Not a Bilstein fan and haven't even gotten as far as really looking at the suspension yet. Accutune Off road does my shock tuning for my off road rigs so I'll get with them if I get to that point. I'm thinking wheels and tires are going to be the biggest issue.

I have a friend working on a Photoshop for me, I'll post it when I get it.

Last edited by backcountry; 12-27-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:23 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by backcountry
Thanks. I figured people would freak out if I even considered doing something like that to an SRT6!

Not a Bilstein fan and haven't even gotten as far as really looking at the suspension yet. Accutune Off road does my shock tuning for my off road rigs so I'll get with them if I get to that point. I'm thinking wheels and tires are going to be the biggest issue.

I have a friend working on a Photoshop for me, I'll post it when I get it.
What's your experience with bilstein? They are the oem manufacturer of the dampers on the Crossfire I want to buy a set of b12s so I'm curious. I know they make off road suspension too (it's on their website). You could do a safari build like what people do to 911s.

Last edited by alexdc; 12-19-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:38 PM

What's your experience with bilstein? They are the oem manufacturer of the dampers on the Crossfire I want to buy a set of b12s so I'm curious. I know they make off road suspension too (it's on their website). You could do a safari build like what people do to 911s.
My experience with Bilstein is strictly off road. I had 4 out of 6 shocks on my Dodge leaking after driving the Dalton Highway and various dirt roads on an Alaska trip and have been less than impressed with their shocks on Jeeps. I run Sway-A-Way and Fox on my off road rigs.

Honestly I haven't done anything other than maintenance on a "car" since I sold my autocross built 240z in the late 80s. My wife has had an Audi 80, Saab 900, Integra Type R and the SRT6 since we've been together and I've been under strict orders not to modify them! I did tinker with her Wrangler a bit though. With that in mind, I like the Safari builds and would probably think more along those lines if it were mine but this build would be limited to just what is needed to run graded (sometimes poorly) dirt roads. So thinking: suspension, wheels/tires, and skidplates if needed. No lights, racks, bumpers etc.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:50 PM
Forum Regular

My experience with Bilstein is strictly off road. I had 4 out of 6 shocks on my Dodge leaking after driving the Dalton Highway and various dirt roads on an Alaska trip and have been less than impressed with their shocks on Jeeps. I run Sway-A-Way and Fox on my off road rigs.

Honestly I haven't done anything other than maintenance on a "car" since I sold my autocross built 240z in the late 80s. My wife has had an Audi 80, Saab 900, Integra Type R and the SRT6 since we've been together and I've been under strict orders not to modify them! I did tinker with her Wrangler a bit though. With that in mind, I like the Safari builds and would probably think more along those lines if it were mine but this build would be limited to just what is needed to run graded (sometimes poorly) dirt roads. So thinking: suspension, wheels/tires, and skidplates if needed. No lights, racks, bumpers etc.
Add mud flaps. I still haven't seen that on a crossfire. Please keep us posted. You made me realize that maybe I should buy the koni dampers.

Last edited by alexdc; 12-20-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:59 AM

Abd mud flaps. I still haven't seen that on a crossfire. Please keep us posted. You made me realize that maybe I should buy the koni dampers.
​​​​Check around here before you make any decisions on shocks. Bilstein may be the best option for these cars, I wouldn't know. Back in the day I ran KYB struts on the 240z.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

I live on a dirt road which is county maintained, but plenty rough in the summer with sand wash board surface and water washed small gullies. Take it slow and I have never had a problem. The under body panel on the rear of the Crossfire is like 19 or 20 gage. Really thin and not all that tough, so gully jumping and rock climbing just won't happen. Maybe rent a space and keep it inside somewhere at the paved end of that dirt road.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by zip439
I live on a dirt road which is county maintained, but plenty rough in the summer with sand wash board surface and water washed small gullies. Take it slow and I have never had a problem. The under body panel on the rear of the Crossfire is like 19 or 20 gage. Really thin and not all that tough, so gully jumping and rock climbing just won't happen. Maybe rent a space and keep it inside somewhere at the paved end of that dirt road.
I am 22 miles from pavement and 60 miles total to the nearest anything. We've been summering there for many years and we only leave the ranch once every 2 to 3 weeks so I'm afraid it would never get driven if it was stored that far away.

Last edited by backcountry; 12-27-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my wife an SRT6 several years ago as a present. We now find ourselves retired and moving to the mountains 22 miles from a paved road. She really loves the car so we hate to sell it. I googled as well as I could and can not find any lifted/rally modded Crossfires. Crazy idea? Thoughts? Where would be the best place on the forum to ask?
A Wavetrac LSD, and traction tires.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:41 PM
Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

at one time i was going to use a 4x4 charger to make my crossfire a 4 wheel drive ( for drag racing) but it raised the car almost 4".,,, u would be surprised how close everything almost fits.,,same tranny just with a transfer case on it,, this stuff is cheap if you buy a wreaked car at a auction ,,, not much modification if u know how to weld. good luck and have fun,,i have a place in the Ga. mountains,, and could not get to the house without 4wheel drive so i paved about 200 yards now it is fine. jim

Old 12-22-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
A Wavetrac LSD, and traction tires.
I'm not too worried about LSD as we have two Jeeps and a truck on 37s for the nasty stuff. Any suggestions on tires. I figure the 19" rears will have to go.

Last edited by backcountry; 12-27-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
at one time i was going to use a 4x4 charger to make my crossfire a 4 wheel drive ( for drag racing) but it raised the car almost 4".,,, u would be surprised how close everything almost fits.,,same tranny just with a transfer case on it,, this stuff is cheap if you buy a wreaked car at a auction ,,, not much modification if u know how to weld. good luck and have fun,,i have a place in the Ga. mountains,, and could not get to the house without 4wheel drive so i paved about 200 yards now it is fine. jim
4" would definitely be too much. I contacted Ground Control and they said they could do a 2" suspension. Welding and basic fabrication are within my skillsets but I don't want to permanently modify the car. I would like everything to be bolt on if possible.

Last edited by backcountry; 12-27-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not too worried about LSD as we have two Jeeps and a truck on 37s for the nasty stuff. Any suggestions on tires. I figure the 19" rears will have to go.
I was thinking that a LSD, with your loose dirt and gravel washboarded roads in the summer would be a nice benefit for the crossfire; and less likely to get stuck in the winter. As far as tires go, I'm pretty sure with the vehicles you have, that you probably know more about M/S traction tires than I. Wish you well w/ the decisions. I also agree with the above post about our sheetmetal rear end; take it easy. A few here have had their rear swaybar attachment point rip out.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:54 PM
Forum Regular

4" would definitely be too much. I contacted Ground Control and they said they could do a 2" suspension. Welding and basic fabrication are within my skillsets but I don't want to permanently modify the car. I would like everything to be bolt on if possible.
Awesome!!!

Old 12-23-2018, 02:06 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

From what I have seen from constant use of a car on this type of road is that the car will be covered in dust everywhere which will set like concrete when it dries from any moisture. This car will get ruined.
Get a Jeep.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
I was thinking that a LSD, with your loose dirt and gravel washboarded roads in the summer would be a nice benefit for the crossfire; and less likely to get stuck in the winter. As far as tires go, I'm pretty sure with the vehicles you have, that you probably know more about M/S traction tires than I. Wish you well w/ the decisions. I also agree with the above post about our sheetmetal rear end; take it easy. A few here have had their rear swaybar attachment point rip out.
I wouldn't use it in the mud and snow anyway. The mud is so full of clay where I am that I would use my Rubicon or my truck which also has front and rear lockers.

I guess wheels more so than tires will be the challenge.

I'll look at that area and see if it looks like it can be beefed up.

Last edited by backcountry; 12-27-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

From what I have seen from constant use of a car on this type of road is that the car will be covered in dust everywhere which will set like concrete when it dries from any moisture. This car will get ruined.
Get a Jeep.
Dust yes. Moisture no, as long as I don't get caught in the rain. We're talking the high desert south west US, with very little humidity. It wouldn't see constant use either, just an occasional trip to town. She doesn't drive it that much now, it only has 40k on it.

Have two Jeeps and a truck.

Thanks

Last edited by backcountry; 12-27-2018 at 11:25 AM.