New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Greetings from Quebec

Old 09-24-2021, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Greetings from Quebec

Sorry if this is the second time you see this post but something seems to have gone wrong when I first posted the message so here it is again

After I totaled my wife's car (long story) and after we both got back home from the hospital, it was time to convince her she wanted another car. She was not too motivated to get one and the only car that seemed to interest her was a car she'd seen in Florida and could never remember the name of and that car was....a Crossfire of course. Within 2 days of saying it was the only car she'd be interested at looking at I found one and we went to see it, bought it and brought it home so now, she has her dream car and I have another car I can tinker with. It's a 2006 roadster Limited with 40k miles on it. Only 2 previous owners, always garage kept with a cover on it, never winter driven and never even driven in the rain. The gentleman I purchased it from didn't even know what all the buttons did in the car. I absolutely love driving it and my wife uses it as a daily driver.
Found a few small problems that I was able to fix fairly easily with help from this board (thank you for that) and have notice that our Crossfire has some of the same issues discussed here like a "musty smell' which seems to have been caused by the cover that was on it and the carpeting needing a good shampoo and now the siren and beep that doesn't work at all. The locks, lights, RCM etc. all work but I cannot arm the security system (siren). I've seen a lot of comments on this board regarding the issue and from what I've read, I'm thinking of replacing the siren batteries first before I try anything else, does that seem like the right thing to do or anything else anybody would recommend? Also, I've seen a few posts on parts I should maybe get immediately as they tend to fail more than others (Crank and cam position sensors),any other suggestions?
That's it for now, sorry for the long message and I hope I can get to a point where I can contribute to the board and not just suck information out of it.
Thanks for the help so far, you really have a great owners board and look forward to actually participating in the future.

Old 09-25-2021, 01:12 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Greetings from Quebec

there is about a 5% success rate with replacing the batteries. If you do it BEFORE any bad symptoms show, you have a good chance, but it seems no one is that proactive.
An RCM, serpentine belt, tire plug kit are also good spares.
Do you have the convertible top tool ? If not, get one and don't store it in the trunk.

Old 09-25-2021, 01:42 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Just purchase a replacement siren or unplug the old one and go without it. The Mercedes siren even beeps when turned on and off. Usually the old batteries leak inside and corrode the circuit board.

Old 09-25-2021, 05:05 PM

Thanks ala-xfire I'll add the items to the list. Yes, I do have the convertible top tool, it was in the trunk still in the original bag. Regards.

Old 09-25-2021, 05:08 PM

Thanks ZERACER I may end up doing just that but I'm actually looking forward to trying to fix the siren, I'm just weird that way, I just love fixing basically anything and find it relaxes me plus I always end up learning something in the process.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:09 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I ordered batteries to repair mine and they came with only three legs instead of four. Please read the descriptions and look at the pictures closely. Good luck with the repair!

Old 09-25-2021, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Doc78
I ordered batteries to repair mine and they came with only three legs instead of four. Please read the descriptions and look at the pictures closely. Good luck with the repair!
Hi Doc78 and thanks for the reply. I'm very new to this board but have already found a wealth of information. Unfortunately I get carried away navigating through all the forums and posts and lose track of where I was when I found the information relavent to me. I seem to remember seeing a message here that mentioned the fact that the batteries now only had 3-pins and gave information on how to make a small modification to bypass the issue. I'll have to search for it again as I've been unable to find any 4-pin batteries.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would recommend opening up the old siren and inspecting it before ordering batteries. If you like tinkering, it isn’t a big deal but you can find out if the board is corroded and damaged so you don’t end up wasting money on batteries that you can’t use. All the suggestions for spare parts are good to prevent you from being stranded and most of the other things that come up will not be an emergency so you can order parts as you need them.

The following users liked this post:
LagDan (09-26-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHero
I would recommend opening up the old siren and inspecting it before ordering batteries. If you like tinkering, it isn’t a big deal but you can find out if the board is corroded and damaged so you don’t end up wasting money on batteries that you can’t use. All the suggestions for spare parts are good to prevent you from being stranded and most of the other things that come up will not be an emergency so you can order parts as you need them.
Hi CaptainHero and thanks. Excellent suggestion on the batteries plus I just found a shop online that have the batteries in stock and is less than 5 minutes away from my house so I can get them anytime. The spare parts that were suggested I can also get locally so pretty happy I can get the parts quickly and easily. Now if you have recommendations on a few must have tools I should have in the car, feel free to send your input, like I said, I'm new to the board, never had a Crossfire so looking for all the help I can get. I've got a ton of tools and multiple tool kits and being in Canada, I have metric tools as well. Thanks again.

Old 09-25-2021, 10:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A small TORX tool kit would be handy including external TRX sockets, a 3/8 inch ratchet and 1/4 inch ratchet with extensions for changing the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor‘s if needed in an emergency. A number to Phillips screwdriver and an assortment of torx bits for interior screws would be useful.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:44 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Redtoy2
Hi CaptainHero and thanks. Excellent suggestion on the batteries plus I just found a shop online that have the batteries in stock and is less than 5 minutes away from my house so I can get them anytime.
Hi . . . I did open the siren in 2013 to see if it could be repair and here is what i have found . . .

Often sugested in this Forum . . . i just ordered a brand new MB siren at a Granby MB Dealer and installed it .

Daniel

Old 09-29-2021, 08:18 PM

Hey LagDan,
I may just end up doing the exact same thing but still not sure the siren is the problem or the only problem, I just don't know enough about the car yet to feel positive, we've only had it a month. Once you installed the new one did everything work properly? What MB part number did you use? BTW, I grew up in Farnham and spent a lot of time in Bedford and Cowansville and I actually in Frelighsburg and Dunham last weekend just driving around.
Thanks

Old 10-02-2021, 11:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Redtoy2
Hey LagDan,
I may just end up doing the exact same thing but still not sure the siren is the problem or the only problem, I just don't know enough about the car yet to feel positive, we've only had it a month. Once you installed the new one did everything work properly? What MB part number did you use? BTW, I grew up in Farnham and spent a lot of time in Bedford and Cowansville and I actually in Frelighsburg and Dunham last weekend just driving around.
Thanks
According to your report on the other post You have made on the siren behavior you have experienced, i would just install a new one. Every thing should get back to normal.
Now, for the MB number . . . it depend if you want the one that beep when locking or unloking the doors or the one that do not .

Daniel