New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

G'day from Australia - New Crossfire Owner

Old 03-12-2023, 05:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default G'day from Australia - New Crossfire Owner

G'day all,

I have just purchased a 2005 Coupe. Black with grey interior, auto transmission and 50,000kms (31,000 miles). Was owned by a Crossfire enthusiast, well looked after and passed a mechanical and body check with no issues.

It will be collected by the transport company in 2 days time starting its 2,200km journey home. I can't tell you how excited I am to take delivery!

I have been a fan of the Crossfire ever since they debuted and always wanted one. Some recent issues in the family have given me a wake-up call, the realisation that life can be short. So I just gave myself permission to stop being responsible and just go get one!

I'll post some pics when it arrives!

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
Ljcollingham (03-14-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 09:00 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts
Default Re: G'day from Australia - New Crossfire Owner

Welcome,
This is one of the best places on the internet for all Crossfire owners
If you use Facebook there are also many regional groups for Crossfire owners there as well
Enjoy our Crossfire once it arrives

Gary

Crossfire Groups on Facebook

Old 03-12-2023, 10:21 PM

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the welcome! I can see how good this forum is....the tech resources are great! As someone who is not afraid to do my own servicing I think I'm gonna get a lot from this forum.

My car has had the sticky key issue already fixed, and I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, so if the RCM plays up, I can re-flow the solder joints easily. Fingers crossed I don't run into any Skreem issues!

Great user name there Gary - I ride a Honda Valkyrie! :-)

Old 03-13-2023, 04:15 PM
Received 458 Likes on 221 Posts

We have some members in Australia. Hopefully you can connect.

@CL770

Old 03-13-2023, 04:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

Welcome to the Forum and the 'World Of Crossfires'! Regarding "..permission to stop being responsible and just go get one!" My Motto is worry about the luxuries, the necessities will take care of themselves !!

Old 03-30-2023, 12:33 AM

Hi all,
Very happy to report I finally received my Crossfire yesterday. The wait with the transport company was interminable! It sat in their Queensland depot for a week before being loaded and transported down to South Australia.

I am so relieved that it made it here with no damage and she looks as close to brand new, showroom condition as you could ever hope for. Looking forward to a nice long drive on the weekend and spending some time detailing her.

Believe it or not, cup holder is not broken, however the plastic trim across the top of the bulkhead behind the seats is cracked. I suppose it can be glued up. Other than that, I can't find any faults.

Old 03-30-2023, 01:26 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

It’s a good looker!!

Old 03-30-2023, 08:36 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, looks like it just rolled off the production line Fantastic to see such an epic looking / condition example.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by UnderTheSouthernCross
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the welcome!
Great user name there Gary -
I ride a Honda Valkyrie! :-)
I had a 2000 Honda Valkyrie for 10 years and my name here originally was Valkryderguy but I eventually shortened it to Valk

Old 03-30-2023, 02:54 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Those bulkheads are almost impossible to find. Get a good plastic cement and repair it before it gets worse. Beautiful example by the way, enjoy the ride.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:56 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Lots of great info here.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Old 03-30-2023, 07:54 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks Fantastic! Now.. Buy the big 3 replacements that can leave you stranded if one fails.. A replacement RCM and crank shaft and cam shaft position sensors. Keep them around as replacements. Next thing is to slide under the rear of the car and pop out (by pushing up and working out ) the 2 most inner trunk drain well plugs on each side and just forget about where they end up in the trunk wells. No need to pull the whole trunk apart and pull them from above. That will eliminate any possibility of the wells gradually filling with water over time and ruining that ever-so-expensive vacuum unit that controls the locking system in the passenger well and other things. Get those plugs pushed up and out. Now! I wouldn't be surprised if you popped the passenger side and water runs out that has been sitting and building in there for years. It will rise and rise with no visible sign of intrusion and when it reaches the point it floods that unit on the passenger side you have one heck of a mess on your hands.

On the passenger side this is the one you want to push up and out from below if you pulled the trunk apart and viewed the wells from a top view. The driver side is a mirror image of the passenger so pop that one as well. There is undercoating sprayed on these wells underneath but you'll find these plugs if you look. That vacuum module you see in that pic in that passenger side trunk well is the one that you NEVER want get flooded. Pop the plugs and forget about it.

Last edited by Deepsea21; 03-30-2023 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:05 AM

Thanks all for the positive comments!

@Deepsea21 just wondering how water would be getting into the boot to begin with? Surely that's not a normal situation and should be corrected to begin with?

I have also found the tweeters in both doors appear to be dead. Will take them out and test for continuity. If no good, looks liek its time for replacements!

Cheers!

Old 03-31-2023, 11:29 AM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by UnderTheSouthernCross
Thanks all for the positive comments!

@Deepsea21 just wondering how water would be getting into the boot to begin with? Surely that's not a normal situation and should be corrected to begin with?

I have also found the tweeters in both doors appear to be dead. Will take them out and test for continuity. If no good, looks like its time for replacements!

Cheers!
It is actually VERY common. The water can leak in through the rear spoiler area where it runs down the inside of the rear hatch and makes its way into the trunk wells. You'll never notice it as does not get into any part of the trunk you can see or would be able to feel it being wet. I inherited my 2004 XF from my father a few years ago and started doing a lot more research on them. I read about this problem and slid under the car with a screwdriver and pushed up and worked those inner most right and left plugs out. I'd bet maybe 2 cups of water drained out of that passenger side well. I can't remember if there was any in the driver side well. If there was it wasn't much at all there. I caught it in time. I'm not concerned about it anymore as it is a slow process from what I can tell if the car is generally parked under cover as this one was. If left outside and subjected to rain all the time it will happen much faster. Some have taken the rear spoiler out and apart and re-sealed that area but I'm not about to get into all that. If a little water makes it in there it will just drain out now. Those 2 plugs being in there can do far more harm than good which is my most who know about this problem just push them up and out. Some have then driven in the rain with the trunk taken apart to see if any water could make it up in through those 2 holes and reported back that it did not.

Old 03-31-2023, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Deepsea21
It is actually VERY common. The water can leak in through the rear spoiler area where it runs down the inside of the rear hatch and makes its way into the trunk wells. You'll never notice it as does not get into any part of the trunk you can see or would be able to feel it being wet. I inherited my 2004 XF from my father a few years ago and started doing a lot more research on them. I read about this problem and slid under the car with a screwdriver and pushed up and worked those inner most right and left plugs out. I'd bet maybe 2 cups of water drained out of that passenger side well. I can't remember if there was any in the driver side well. If there was it wasn't much at all there. I caught it in time. I'm not concerned about it anymore as it is a slow process from what I can tell if the car is generally parked under cover as this one was. If left outside and subjected to rain all the time it will happen much faster. Some have taken the rear spoiler out and apart and re-sealed that area but I'm not about to get into all that. If a little water makes it in there it will just drain out now. Those 2 plugs being in there can do far more harm than good which is my most who know about this problem just push them up and out. Some have then driven in the rain with the trunk taken apart to see if any water could make it up in through those 2 holes and reported back that it did not.
Thanks for that information @Deepsea21 . I just slid a piece of paper down past the foam blocks into the wells on both sides of the boot. I found the deepest point with the paper going down about 10 - 11 inches below the top of the foam blocks. Left the paper to sit for a minute and pulled it out. No moisture evident at all - bone dry! i will keep an eye on this issue with the spoiler for sure!

Old 04-02-2023, 05:18 PM

I went out for my first decent drive this weekend. About 200 kms round trip down to Victor Harbor. The car performed flawlessly. Lovely smooth and responsive engine, nice gear changes, and great handling on the curves.

Wind noise is low, but tyre noise is very loud. What is the general consensus on road noise in these cars? Is there a favoured tyre type for low noise?

As I have been warned, the car attracts attention. The first ever time I went to the service station to fill up a guy came over asking all about it. Its nice driving something different!

Old 04-02-2023, 08:14 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

There are many threads on this subject. Lots of differing opinions. I like Michelin Pilot Sports.
I will say that when I bought my car the ride and noise from the tires was terrible. Original Michelin tires, 3700 miles on the tires but 13 years old.
Check the manufacturing date on your tires. Old rubber gets hard and noisy.
Ride, handling and noise level completely changed with new tires.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:37 PM

Thanks @Wadsworth. My tyres are from 2019 so not that old, and don't feel hard. They are cheapies though - Hifly brand!

Old 04-09-2023, 08:07 PM

A little update...I went and had the wheel alignment and balance checked - it was way out. Much improved handling and noise levels now.

Also have ordered replacement Dayton tweeters and subwoofer rubber surrounds - will be great to hear the sound system in full range.

Have noticed a rattle at idle at the very front of the motor - thinking its water pump but need to check where exactly its coming from.

The following users liked this post:
Ljcollingham (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 09:19 PM

Yes definitely the water pump - its actually going bad quite quickly. Won't be driving it until its changed! Just posted in the tech section asking for advice on which brands have all the hols threaded!

Quick Reply: G'day from Australia - New Crossfire Owner