Dragon slayers arriving home... Roll-call and highlights!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dragon slayers arriving home... Roll-call and highlights!!

Great weekend. Had a good time doing the moonshiner folloing John (BoilerUp) and others. Really saw the potential of these cars. Unfortantly got the brakes way too hot and lost the pedal, almost met a wall, stopped with smoking brakes. A few of the people saw it happen, wasnt pretty. Drove back and enjoyed the weekend just cruising.

Got harassed by a Subaru on the way home, just a base Impreza, but he wouldnt go away. Ricer fly by a few times and I was annoyed. Rolling at 75 to me pulling away and he wasnt anywhere. Got the head nod of I give up. Upset an oldman driving like a turd and wouldnt let him pass on 70. All in all got to have a great time. Now is it September 2011????

Old 10-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mouserider
James, you should have posted the pictures of those turkeys crossing the dragon.

Mouse,

(sorry, I don't know how to spell your first name Hi.)

Tammi just took over driving and I had the camera in hand when I saw them. I forgot about the pic until you mentioned the turkeys.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle_Al
I am always amazed by the locals driving any old thing fast through the twisties. Who would have guessed that a pickup with a canoe strapped on the roof could go that fast? Then there was the huge truck towing a big trailer pushing us down 28.
I was in back, kept hearing about that truck, but wondered "What the hell are they talking about?" I finally saw the guy when we stopped for gas. I heard that his trailer was smacking the guard rail.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Had a great time over the weekend, we left a day early when the weather got cooler. We did the Dragon run going in and coming out, coming out gryfan had not taken any Gravol to ease his motion sickness and was in bad shape when we left it the last time. He has a spell of vertigo and a longtime affliction of motion sickness. Fortunately he kept his breakfast down ..... just.
Met some great people and put faces to names and that was nice. I was really glad I met Franc R. and his good wife and concluded that we both have similar views although we come at them from opposite angles, go figure.
There was two things that were really memorable, the glorious V8 beast and apple pie moonshine and maybe not in that order.
A quick Google search and I came up with this recipe. just double up on the alcohol for a good time that you may not be able to remember.
http://www.moonshinestillplans.com/apple_pie_moonshine_recipe.htm

Old 10-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Had a great time over the weekend, we left a day early when the weather got cooler. We did the Dragon run going in and coming out, coming out gryfan had not taken any Gravol to ease his motion sickness and was in bad shape when we left it the last time. He has a spell of vertigo and a longtime affliction of motion sickness. Fortunately he kept his breakfast down ..... just.
Met some great people and put faces to names and that was nice. I was really glad I met Franc R. and his good wife and concluded that we both have similar views although we come at them from opposite angles, go figure.
There was two things that were really memorable, the glorious V8 beast and apple pie moonshine and maybe not in that order.
A quick Google search and I came up with this recipe. just double up on the alcohol for a good time that you may not be able to remember.
http://www.moonshinestillplans.com/a...ine_recipe.htm
Had a good time meeting you and the respect is mutual. And again, you contiinue to surprise me with your wit. No one our age should be that funny.

Thanks for the laughs and keep them coming.

franc

Old 10-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Forum Regular

franc,
you can imagine how much wit i enjoyed on my 12 hour trip straight through to canada. also , ask him to tell you about his dream about the dog. he shared it with bluecoupe....and coupe could not stop laughing for 15 minutes. he also complained about laughing so hard ...his sides hurt. it was a pleasure spending that 24 hours in the car with you 180. that some how did not sound right.
franc, thank cathy for sharing those hats that we had left over, with our american friends in st. louis.i heard they did a great job on caa 2010.
cheers,
gryfan

Old 10-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made it to Lansing, KS last night (830 miles) and made it home about 3PM Mountain time today. 3115 miles logged on the car for the whole trip. It was a great event once again. I enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones! We also had some turkeys on the Dragon when we left on Monday morning.

See you all in Colorado and I hope to be able to return in the fall!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I did order the package deal thru US129, but also Zee Photo grouped all the Crossfires together as well to find us easier.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Th...3&g=0HH601IN01

Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 PM

Bobbie and I got back to Gainesville FL yesterday afternoon about 5pm. Can't tell you how much fun we had and how much we learned.

last May we thought we were buying a cute convertible to replace Bobbie's motorcycle. Had no idea we were getting a Dragon Slayer. Much to learn about these beautiful machines.

Thanks to all who did so much work so we could have fun. It seemed like the whole weekend just happened all by itself. Thanks to all who made us feel welcome and included.

Can't wait till next year.

Next year I think we will have come back with two.

Levin

Old 10-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 456 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Made it home about 7:30cst and unpacked all the stuff from the car.
I'll sum up the weekend tomorrow in a separate post and upload all my pics.

I'm dead tired after a weekend of very little sleep, tons of fun and a 12 hour trip home.
Thanks everyone for coming and making this GTG the biggest and best ever !!
Gary
Well I'm finally rested and loaded all my pics into my gallery:
Fall 2010 - Tail of the Dragon Meet

A great thread and I love reading all the stories !!!

Well this by far was the biggest and best one ever.
75 Crossfires all parked at the Fontana Dam !!!
Many new faces and all the regulars were in attendance.
I slept very little and drove a lot and had a blast.

My thanks to CICCI for the sponsoring of the BBQ
About $700 was provided to cover all the costs.
We all enjoyed the time together throughout the entire weekend and the staff at the lodge go out of there way to make us all welcome and give us the entire lobby for our evening party on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

Thank you all for coming and I hope everyone will come back nest Fall.
I will start a new Fall 2011 thread in the Spring and don't worry you won't miss it once it starts.

Until then I'll see ya here on other threads and take a break from keeping lists of names for the best and biggest Crossfire meet in the country.

Thanks, Gary

75 Crossfires !!!!!

Old 10-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 456 Likes on 321 Posts

NOW.....

A very special thanks to Bigkid (Jim Robertson) for presenting me with a beautiful hand painted portrait of my Crossfire.
This was painted from a photo taken at the Fontana Dam last Spring.
His daughter (Jamie Robertson) painted it and Jim presented it to me at the Drivers meeting on Friday night when everyone was in attendance.
I was completely surprised by this and it is a one of a kind original.
I was simply at a loss for words when I saw this.
It's something very special to me and I will find a place to hang it proudly here at home.

Painted by Jamie Robertson "Artist"
Jamie is a graduate of Converse College with a degree in Fine Arts.
She does portfolios, murals and Creative Art.
She works from photographs and pricing is by detail.
Check out her website and contact her if you have interest in having her paint your favorite Crossfire photo.
It's beautiful and painted on a high quality canvas.

Here is the painting that was presented to me:

Last edited by Valk; 09-01-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Rv Xfire08

Thank you for every ones hard work(you know who you are) for the BEST DRAGON EVER! great food,new friends and most of all seeing our old friends. We made it home in 1-1/2 hrs.What a long drive we had lol.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rv Xfire08
Thank you for every ones hard work(you know who you are) for the BEST DRAGON EVER! great food,new friends and most of all seeing our old friends. We made it home in 1-1/2 hrs.What a long drive we had lol.
Good to see you again!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
We got home a little before 7 pm after an easy drive home, we were not in any hurry. Took some final pictures in the Dragon but didn't get any of the turkeys we saw crossing the Dragon. We were passed in Tenn\ Kentucky by a black roadster with Kentucky plates and followed them for a while, cruise was set at 75.
That was us headed home from the Dragon !!!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
NOW.....

A very special thanks to Bigkid (Jim Robertson) for presenting me with a beautiful hand painted portrait of my Crossfire.....
If anyone got a shot of Gary's face when he was presented with the painting, please post it up. I was standing beside him and saw the stunned look and I'm just hoping someone got the shot.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by James1549

Tammi just took over driving and I had the camera in hand when I saw them. I forgot about the pic until you mentioned the turkeys.
Ah, you had the camera! I saw the red camera sticking out of the passenger side which was why I knew you had a good shot of those turkeys.

Talking about a great time, I shared it with a biker at my first fuel stop in Virginia when he was admiring the Crossfire. I whipped out the map of the dragon and showed him where it was. He said he's been told by people about it but has never figured out where it was.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
...I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks video games can be beneficial. Hahaha.

Sorry I couldn't make the drive down with you, but if you want to grab a drink sometime and talk cars I'm available. Just shoot me a PM and we'll figure something out. I don't think Essex County is to far from Morris County.
Oh, video games are used even by the pros and I got that first hand from a friend of an F1 driver.

Morris County is not far at all and there's some pretty good driving between here and there.

We should certainly do some NJ runs!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by itsky
I made it to Lansing, KS last night (830 miles) and made it home about 3PM Mountain time today. 3115 miles logged on the car for the whole trip. It was a great event once again. I enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones! We also had some turkeys on the Dragon when we left on Monday morning.

See you all in Colorado and I hope to be able to return in the fall!
Glad to hear you got home OK and tucked back into your own digs.

NOW, Get busy on CAA COLORADO 'cause we are all anxious for the next big GTG. !

roadster with a stick

Old 10-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to thank the entire community for the support that has been offered, and I can honestly say Franc R and Evan (itsky) are two great friends that helped immensely when I needed it.

The car is gone, but that is just metal. What will rise from the ashes will be a totally different car, and this time, no black

Once everything gets sorted out, I will post some pictures of her and tell the story.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 10-06-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by gryfan
franc,
you can imagine how much wit i enjoyed on my 12 hour trip straight through to canada. also , ask him to tell you about his dream about the dog. he shared it with bluecoupe....and coupe could not stop laughing for 15 minutes. he also complained about laughing so hard ...his sides hurt. it was a pleasure spending that 24 hours in the car with you 180. that some how did not sound right.
franc, thank cathy for sharing those hats that we had left over, with our american friends in st. louis.i heard they did a great job on caa 2010.
cheers,
gryfan
It sounds like I need to buy a few beers and drinks in Caledon Ontario. If I get the chance, I do hope the old fart can remember the story.

Cathy is handing out you stuff left and right, and receiving thanks to you from all who have received so far.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 10-06-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Dragon slayers arriving home... Roll-call and highlights!!