Northeast Forum Serving DE, MD, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA, WV.

In memory of my Mom

Old 10-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In memory of my Mom

On December 17, 1996 my mom lost a 20 year battle with Multiple Sclerosis. She was 48 years old.
EVERY HOUR OF EVERY DAY, SOMEONE IS DIAGNOSED WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS. That's why I registered for Walk MS 2009, and why I'm asking you to support my fundraising efforts with a tax-deductible donation.

MS stops people from moving. The National MS Society exists to make sure it doesn't. That's why I am participating in Walk MS. During the event, thousands of walkers and volunteers will join forces to raise funds and awareness and to move us all closer to a world free of MS.

It's faster and easier than ever to support this cause that's so important to me. Simply click on the link at the bottom of this message and make a secure online donation. If you prefer, you can mail a contribution to me.

Any amount, great or small, helps to make a difference in the lives of people with MS. Thank you in advance for your support.
Thank you!
Paul Immo

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...&s_tafId=81906

P.S. If you would like more information about multiple sclerosis, the Society or Walk MS, please visit www.MSandYOU.org.
Click here to visit my personal page.
If the text above does not appear as a clickable link, you can visit the web address:
Click here to view the team page for WWT North East
If the text above does not appear as a clickable link, you can visit the web address:

Last edited by immo; 11-03-2008 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: In memory of my Mom

i have a very dear friend in her 30's that suffers from ms ... i donate every year for to walk... and will always continue to support ms...

god bless.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:57 PM

The walk is not until April (so you have time), but I signed up today... I talked to a friend of mine in Detroit today. He found out he had MS 2 years ago (he is 32) and he is not doing well at the present time. Made me feel terrible... I am going to drive up to Detroit and see him in the next few weeks.

I am already up to $125.00. Last year I raised over $4000.00

Old 10-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Life is random...so am I.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, and unfortunate news Paul.

MS is a very misunderstood disease. To some, it's debilitating, to others it's something that's livable. You never know when, how long, or how severe an attack will last. Unfortunately, I feel far too many people think that MS is "not that bad" solely on the premise that Montel Williams lives with it and continues to function day-to-day.

There was a marathon here in Detroit recently, some folks from work and I ran the whole event and raised donations for the national MS society under the MSAMS (Making Strides Against Multiple Sclerosis) banner. As a group, we raised over $14,000. This was the first time I ran this event and I plan to make it a yearly event. Not only is it a healthy thing to do, but it is for a great cause.

When you come up to Detroit please look me up, send a PM or E-mail. I'd be honored to take you out to dinner and chat if you have the time.

Again, so sorry to hear the loss of your mom, and the status of your friend. You always have the support of your friends here, and I'll be sure to keep you in my prayers.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:34 AM

Wow, what can I say after that. I am never quite sure how to respond because I'm not very good at expressing my feelings, but you did bring a few happy tears to my eyes. Thank you for your statement and for running!!!

I want to be sure that I do what I can to prevent them from having people go through what my mom did. She was a very proud, hard working woman. She worked as an RN at mentally handicapped children homes until she just could not work anymore. She didn't like getting help from anyone, she want to be the person helping others.....

I grew up in Sterling Heights and lived in Macomb and Oakland counties till 2002.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Up to $350.00! Last year I raised over $4000.00.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:46 PM

Up to $400.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:49 AM

My mom has MS. Diagnosed in her 30's not 83. It was very hard to get treatment back then. Went to the experiential stuff and it worked for her. She still drives and walks with a walker. Let me know how to send you a donation.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by R.S.
My mom has MS. Diagnosed in her 30's not 83. It was very hard to get treatment back then. Went to the experiential stuff and it worked for her. She still drives and walks with a walker. Let me know how to send you a donation.
Just go to this website.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:40 AM

I am up to $2955!!!!!!

We are making a difference!!!!!!!!

Research News: Fast ForwardSM Supports British Professor’s War on MS

While doing a BBC interview during the first Gulf War, Prof. David Wraith realized he’d probably be using combat analogies to describe his work forever.
Wraith is Chief Scientific Officer of Apitope, a British biopharmaceutical company, in addition to being Professor of Experimental Pathology at the University of Bristol. Two days before Christmas, Apitope became the first company to receive funding from Fast ForwardSM, the National MS Society subsidiary designed to speed the development of MS treatments by funding private ventures.
The $1 million investment — not grant but investment, because if Apitope succeeds the Society earns a return — will help fund a clinical trial of the company’s experimental MS vaccine. The hope is that the vaccine may stop MS attacks by redirecting the body’s immune response.
“In the long term we would hope to be able to identify people at risk for MS and treat them before the disease even starts,” Wraith said.
“Autoimmune diseases such as MS are caused by immune cells whose normal job is to fight infections. You can think of these diseases in terms of ‘friendly fire’ where the troops fighting the enemy now mistakenly attack their own side,” he said.
The question is how to improve the good guys’ aim. Wraith’s theory is that desensitization — the technique that has helped allergy sufferers for almost a century — can be adapted to MS. Apitope developed a series of peptide fragments (substances that are similar to proteins but smaller) that stimulate T cells, a type of white blood cell that fights infections.
“In effect, what we’re developing is a means of extending the allergy analogy: desensitizing people by giving the peptides in low doses in a very safe manner,” Wraith said. “When this is done, the cells that recognize them turn into suppressor cells — cells that dampen down the immune response.”
The first, small clinical trial of these peptides was designed to gauge safety, not efficacy. (There were no significant adverse reactions.) Nevertheless, one participant’s optic neuritis improved so dramatically that Wraith feels guardedly optimistic that Apitope’s treatment will work.
“It was a very encouraging coincidence,” he said.
This isn’t the first time that Wraith and the National MS Society have helped one another. Earlier in his career, a Society fellowship allowed Wraith to extend a one-year fellowship to three years to work with Professors Hugh McDevitt and Lawrence Steinman at Stanford.
“Two or three fairly major pieces of work came out of that period. It was incredibly productive. One of them was an observation that by altering one of these peptides in a fairly subtle way, you could create a peptide which now prevented disease rather than causing disease,” Wraith said. He published this finding in the journal Cell in 1989.
Like everyone involved with MS research, Wraith wishes progress came faster: “We set up Apitope in 2002 because we got to a point where we felt we had something that should be taken into the clinic. It’s taken this long to get the first clinical trial done, but that’s how long these things take, I’m afraid.”
That, of course, is why Fast Forward exists: to provide capital to push the process along. Nor is Fast Forward alone: it’s part of a syndicate of investors, showing that lots of smart people have high hopes for Apitope.
“Our investment process was also validated when Merck Serono decided to sign a licensing and development deal for the MS therapy,” said Timothy Coetzee, PhD, Fast Forward’s executive director. “Their commitment to Apitope will help ensure the drug is developed.”
Fast Forward is in talks with several more candidates for funding, and we’ll report on future developments.