Northeast Forum Serving DE, MD, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA, WV.

Watkins Glen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Watkins Glen?

Its a little town with great car history. Watkins Glen International - Watkins Glen International There also some great scenic roads up along the lakes. Maybe it would be a good spot for a future meeting.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Watkins Glen?

Sounds good..

Old 03-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Love the Glen............used to go there for the F1 races in the 70's.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by cassidyrj1
Its a little town with great car history. Watkins Glen International - Watkins Glen International There also some great scenic roads up along the lakes. Maybe it would be a good spot for a future meeting.
Future sight for CAA?

I'm in.

roadster with a stick

Old 03-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Love the Glen............used to go there for the F1 races in the 70's.
I was at the 1964 US Grand Prix which Graham Hill won, the two or three drivers who were in front of him all dropped out and allowed this steady driver to win. The cars were in the simple racing colors of the country they came from, green, red, blue, white (Japan) etc. No decals for advertising in those days.
This race saw the arrival of the Honda in North America, nothing special at that time, I am not to sure if it raced or did a few laps for the crowd or both.
In the parking lot of a garage on a trailer and able to be touched was the new Ford GT, built by Lola for Ford, sitting there with its UK license plate and round road tax disk on the inside of the windshield. Right hand drive and boasting Lucas "Prince of Darkness" gages and lights. In a couple of years after much development Ford would triumph at Le Mans and make history. A similar Lola had previously had some success at Le Mans lying second before dropping out near the end of the race.
These days such a car would be shown to the public with a look do not touch approach. No big fanfare except a sign saying that it was a "Ford GT" with some technical details.
It's a wonder I can remember anything so if some errors appear here let me know gently.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:32 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I was at the 1964 US Grand Prix which Graham Hill won, the two or three drivers who were in front of him all dropped out and allowed this steady driver to win. The cars were in the simple racing colors of the country they came from, green, red, blue, white (Japan) etc. No decals for advertising in those days.
This race saw the arrival of the Honda in North America, nothing special at that time, I am not to sure if it raced or did a few laps for the crowd or both.
In the parking lot of a garage on a trailer and able to be touched was the new Ford GT, built by Lola for Ford, sitting there with its UK license plate and round road tax disk on the inside of the windshield. Right hand drive and boasting Lucas "Prince of Darkness" gages and lights. In a couple of years after much development Ford would triumph at Le Mans and make history. A similar Lola had previously had some success at Le Mans lying second before dropping out near the end of the race.
These days such a car would be shown to the public with a look do not touch approach. No big fanfare except a sign saying that it was a "Ford GT" with some technical details.
It's a wonder I can remember anything so if some errors appear here let me know gently.
Thats an awesome recollection of a an event held 45 years ago. Obviously an auto enthusiast for life!