Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Crossfire vs. BWM Z3 or Z4

Old 01-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire vs. BWM Z3 or Z4

OK. Has anybody compared these cars. What are the pros and cons for one verses the pros and cons of the other? I mean just the standard '04 or '05 base coupe crossfire, not the srt or anything else other than the base couple.

Last edited by gunnerz; 01-02-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Crossfire vs. BWM Z3 or Z4

SRT-6 wins, no contest, no comparison to those slugs.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded my '04 Z4 2.5 on an SRT6. I have two friends that have Z4 3.0s and two that have Z3s. One is a 2.3 six and the other is an M Roadster.

The SRT6 blows them all away in just about every category. I always liked the looks of the Z3 and Z4 and would say the SRT looks as good as either of the other two. I get about the same number of comments on the SRT that I did on the Z4.

The Z4 2.5s go did not match its looks. While it always felt quick, about the only thing it would beat was standard econocars. It always felt quicker than it was. One problem area was the front lip. It hung down very low. I hit the curb more than once. It finally sheared off the plastic pins in the right fender well where the bumper cover and finderliner met. I had to use machine screws to hold it together (or I could have spent $500 for a new cover). Everyone I know that has a Z4 has either scraped up or broken the lower front of the bumper/lip.

Handling was excellent if a little light in the steering. The SRT steering is more firm and controlled. Braking was not as good as the SRT either (this includes the 3.0s). Requiring much longer to stop and feeling a little softer than the SRT.

The seating position of the Z4 was a little better with a wider cockpit and a lower door sill. One thing I did not like about the Z4 was the sound of the door closing. It really sounds tinny. Closing the door on the SRT sounds really solid. Although the cars weigh approximately the same, the SRT feels much more substantial. I have to admit though, the BMW straight six really is a work of art and probably the smoothest running engine I have ever driven.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:20 PM

Sorry, I went back and made changes to the original post.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:38 PM

Much of my previous post about the comparison to the SRT still holds.

From a performance standpoint I would place the Limited or Base Crossfire in between the Z4 2.5 and 3.0. Faster than the 2.5 and slightly less than the 3.0.

That all changes for '06 though. There are only two versions of the 3 liter. One at 215 HP and the other at 250 HP. For '06 I would say performance is about on par with the Crossfire in the 3.0 and less on the 3.0i.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Forum Regular

I don't know if this was mentioned.
More trunk space in the Crossfire (not sure about the roadster though).
I think statistically the Crossfire has more leg and head room.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by gunnerz
OK. Has anybody compared these cars. What are the pros and cons for one verses the pros and cons of the other? I mean just the standard '04 or '05 base coupe crossfire, not the srt or anything else other than the base couple.
Gunnerz, please clarify your thoughts so we can better understand a few important points. I want to start by asking you why you would compare these three vehicles? Are you looking to purchase a used vehicle, and you are in debate over these three? Secondly, I want to tell you that in '04, the Crossfire was only one model, not three like for '05 and '06. For 2004, you were getting the equivalent to the '05 limited coupe model (no convertible available for '04), which includes a leather interior, exterior and interior color choices, optional all-season tires, optional automatic transmission, optional navigation, standard silver-colored trim on the window surround and side strakes, and probably some other things. The "base" Crossfire was introduced in '05. Now, on to the comparison...I strongly feel that all three cars are very similar in terms of character. They all are small, nimble, and relatively light-weight vehicles with strong midrange power that makes the cars feel quicker then they really are. I have driven a Z4 3.0i, sport package, 6-speed manual, I have a '04 Crossfire with 6-speed manual, and I have been a passenger in a Z3 Coupe 3.0. Out of these vehicles, the Crossfire has the softest suspension set-up, making it more susceptible to body roll around corners, but all three have plenty of grip to have fun on the streets. The Z4 had very, very light steering, making it feel disconnected at high speed, probably due to the variable steering rack offered in that car. I prefer the Crossfire's weightier steering effort. The Crossfire got into it's torque band quicker than the Z4, but the top end of the Z4 was ever so slightly stronger. Like I hinted at earlier, these cars are all very, very similar, and only minute differences are noticed to those who really take notice. The seating position in the Z4 is much lower, the view out the window gives the sense that you are driving a boat b/c of the very long hood, whereas the Crossfire's outward vision gives the sense of less "car" in front of you (which this is true). I think the deciding factor between both cars, after price, is looks. Which one looks better to you? I'll tell you the Z4 was great to drive when it was soooo nice outside because of the aurora created by driving a convertible. The Z4 is more has more of a classic look, distinctively BMW. My only gripe with this is that it seems that "everyone" has a Z4. Who has a Crossfire? A Crossfire is much more rare. A Crossfire also has a more exotic, "what the hell is that" look to it. I love the last 1/4th of the car, from all angles. The roofline is very concept-car like, and combined with the big wheels, makes for a head turner beyond the Z4 since everyone has one. Oh, and both should be good on fuel economy, the Z4 having an onboard data center to tell you things like mpg, average speed, and other little things like that. The Z4 has a much larger aftermarket and better pedals to heel-toe with. With $6,000 you can make an '03 Z4 3.0i beat an M3. In terms of price, you can probably get an '05, BASE Crossfire for $19,000 new, a new limited for $25,000, and an SRT6 for $31,000 (pm me if you want me to find you one at those prices, because I have some significant contacts I can use). A Z4 3.0i, used, is around the price of a new SRT6, probably slightly less. But, you can also get great deals on any '06 BMW Z4, since BMW is offering heavy dealer incentives. I've seen one guy get an '06 Z4 3.0si (255 hp engine), a $46,000 car, for $39,000, new. Just some thoughts to think about. Please ask more if you want anything else answered. Either way they are all great cars, and I myself might get a Z4 M Coupe a few years down the road myself. I've driven it and it's nice!