Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Crossfire Cloning Itself?

Old 01-27-2007, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire Cloning Itself?

From Autocar via Autoblog:

Apparently Dodge hasn't completely given up on the idea of a smaller cheaper sports car than the Viper. After showing a number of concepts over the last decade including the Copperhead, Slingshot and the Razor (shown above), Dodge may be showing off another new two seater at the upcoming Geneva Auto Show. According to the UK-based website Autocar, Chrysler will unveil a Dodge-branded MX-5 clone with styling based on that of the 2002 Razor Concept. Unless Dodge were to build it based on the underpinnings of an existing vehicle like the Crossfire (itself based on the first generation Mercedes SLK) it probably wouldn't be economically viable. The Crossfire platform is probably too expensive for a car like this, and so it seems improbable that such a vehicle would ever come to market, although it sure would be fun to have another option.

And this from Leftlane News:

Razor redux: Dodge readies Solstice-fighting roadster

Dodge is developing a rear-wheel-drive roadster to compete with the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, according to a published report citing credible sources. It will have some similarities to the 2002 Dodge Razor concept (pictured).

The new two-seater will arrive at the Geneva auto show in March, according to the latest issue of U.K. weekly car magazine Autocar. It will fit with Dodge's performance brand image, placing it squarely against Pontiac's Solstice, the report said.

"The small sports car market is an ideal fit for Dodge," Chrysler Group design chief Trevor Creed told the magazine.

Chrysler is undoubtedly hoping the Dodge project will experience more success than the Chrysler-brand Crossfire. The two-seat roadster and coupe have been criticized for being overpriced and not competitive enough.

So why develop another car based on the Crossfire platform if DCX won't even support the fine one that it already has? Sometimes the car biz seems to be suicidal.

Last edited by maxxm; 01-27-2007 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire Cloning Itself?

If you look at that picture closely, you'll notice the dashboard hump, seat, and read bulkhead look real familiar! This could be a good thing though because if DC supports this car better than the Crossfire it might mean that we finally can get some reasonably priced aftermarket goodies!

Old 01-27-2007, 10:27 AM

I think it's ugly, the headlights ruin the whole car.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:02 PM

That thing is gross. I hope the people who designed that aren't wondering why the domestics are losing so much money.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it probably won't be produced at least not looking like that lol.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hasn't that car been around for quite some time now? I don't think I'm confusing it with the Copper Head either. It seems like my buddy bought me a "Hot Wheels" of it some time ago.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Hasn't that car been around for quite some time now? I don't think I'm confusing it with the Copper Head either. It seems like my buddy bought me a "Hot Wheels" of it some time ago.
Yes. According to the stories I posted above, the "new concept" is really the same as the Dodge Razor concept from 2002. And that just makes the stories and the plans even worse, IMHO.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:02 AM

Probably to be built on the JS platform, now that they have it up and running. They are using that for quite a bit (Caliber, Jeep Patriot, Jeep Compass, Mitsubishi Lancer (GS), and a bunch of to-be-named products).

Old 01-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxm
Yes. According to the stories I posted above, the "new concept" is really the same as the Dodge Razor concept from 2002. And that just makes the stories and the plans even worse, IMHO.
Duh... I guess that's what happens when I spend too much time looking at the photo, and not enough time reading the text. (and it isn't even a Playboy Magazine).