Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Future Collectible Cars - what do you think?

Old 02-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Collectible Cars - what do you think?

I had posted a thread on the SRT-6 forum questioning the collectibility of my SRT-6 Roadster and it got me thinking about other modern cars that are destined to be collectibles. I wanted to compile a list of cars that we feel are good additions by anyone looking to begin collecting cars. I'm not talking about cars that are obvious collectibles like the Ferrari Enzo or Mclaren F1. I'm talking about cars that most, or ALL of us could currently afford but we feel will rise exponentially in value. List the cars (in as much detail as you can) and why you feel they will become collectibles. If you want to have some fun, list the price you think the vehicle will fetch at a Barret Jackson Auction in the year 2050. One last thing... don't include the Crossfire (in any of its variants). We all Know these will be collectibles!

Here's 5 of mine:

1993 Cadillac Allante - True 80's excess. The car took two trips across the atlantic to build. 93' was the last year built, had low production numbers and the new-at-the-time Northstar V8

1986 Dodge Omni GLHS- The first pocket rocket and predecessor to the WRXs and Evos out today. IT had 175 hp and only 500 produced.

1992-96' BMW 850 CSi - The top of the line Beamer and ultimate 90's GT car. The V12 was used on the Mclaren F1 and only 1,500 built.

1984-86' Ford Mustang SVO - First (and only) turbocharged 4-cylinder mustang. It was also the first 'special vehicle' from Ford's in-house tuner. Very hard to find, unmolested or lightly used examples

1993-1997 Toyota Supra Turbo - Overpriced for its target market, this car was a pure GT car and easily customizable to over 1,000 hp. Hard to find unmolested or lightly used examples.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:20 PM
RPM
Default Re: Future Collectible Cars - what do you think?

My picks off the top of my head are:

- Chevrolet SSR
Limited production, truck/roadster, especially 2005-2006 w/6.0 V8.

- 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
The epitome of a flop, but great performance. Again, especially 2005-2006 w/400 HP.

- Chrysler Crossfire, especially SRT6 models.
Too many things about it for it not to be a collectible.

- Acura NSX
The most expensive Japanese car ever (at it's inception), great performance/handling/reliability. Plenty of mods available, so stock ones will command a price in the future.

- Twin Turbo Supras already mentioned in previous post.

- Last gen Mazda RX7 Turbos.

- Solstice GXP/Sky Red Line - depending on how many they make and for how many years they are produced. I doubt they will be nearly as collectible as the Crossfires though.

- Mid 1990s Buick Roadmaster Wagon. The last of the Woodys. Having an LT1 doesn't hurt either. I would own one today if my wife would let me.

- Audi TT Quattro Roadsters - not for sure, but a good possibility.

- Honda s2000 - not for sure, but a good possibility.

- Prowlers.

- Subaru WRX STi.

- Corvette Z06, especially C6 models.

- Ram SRT10.

- Basically all SRT cars - 300 SRT8, Magnum SRT8, Charger SRT8, maybe SRT4.

Only time will tell I guess.
I know before I bought the SRT6, I spent almost a year researching and projecting what would be collectible in the future. Of course I could be an idiot and would have been better off buying a Chevrolet Aveo!

Old 02-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Forum Regular
Lightbulb Re: Future Collectible Cars - what do you think?

Originally Posted by gapcrossfire
I had posted a thread on the SRT-6 forum questioning the collectibility of my SRT-6 Roadster and it got me thinking about other modern cars that are destined to be collectibles. I wanted to compile a list of cars that we feel are good additions by anyone looking to begin collecting cars. I'm not talking about cars that are obvious collectibles like the Ferrari Enzo or Mclaren F1. I'm talking about cars that most, or ALL of us could currently afford but we feel will rise exponentially in value. List the cars (in as much detail as you can) and why you feel they will become collectibles. If you want to have some fun, list the price you think the vehicle will fetch at a Barret Jackson Auction in the year 2050. One last thing... don't include the Crossfire (in any of its variants). We all Know these will be collectibles!

Here's 5 of mine:

1993 Cadillac Allante - True 80's excess. The car took two trips across the atlantic to build. 93' was the last year built, had low production numbers and the new-at-the-time Northstar V8

1986 Dodge Omni GLHS- The first pocket rocket and predecessor to the WRXs and Evos out today. IT had 175 hp and only 500 produced.

1992-96' BMW 850 CSi - The top of the line Beamer and ultimate 90's GT car. The V12 was used on the Mclaren F1 and only 1,500 built.

1984-86' Ford Mustang SVO - First (and only) turbocharged 4-cylinder mustang. It was also the first 'special vehicle' from Ford's in-house tuner. Very hard to find, unmolested or lightly used examples

1993-1997 Toyota Supra Turbo - Overpriced for its target market, this car was a pure GT car and easily customizable to over 1,000 hp. Hard to find unmolested or lightly used examples.
The SVO wasn't the first and only turbo'd Mustangs, they were in fact the last. The first turbo'd Stangs came out a couple years before that as a stand alone option in the early 80's. I'm also pretty sure the GLH (Goes Like Hell) came out in '84 or '85 but I'm not sure and even those are still hard to find the really good ones came out in late '87 - '88 and were called the GLH-S. Those cars were available in Omni form as well as Charger form (think TC3 hatchback) and had the turbo II engines putting out 174 intercooled hp.

As far as collectables go, well I think the only "true" ones will be the ZR-1 Corvettes and the GNX Regals. These cars blew everyone away because the cars that were just below them were already bad *** and these took it to the next level and then some. The Regal T-types & Limiteds with the WE4 engine code (3.8 SFI Turbo) are also going to be hard finds, especially the Limiteds where only 1,547 were built and offered chrome trim, leather 60/40 split bench seats, corning lights and half vinyl tops. Other than that, I can't think of too many but then again I listen to guys old enough to be my Dad and they had NO idea that some of the 60's and 70's muscle was going to worth as much as it has been either, its going to be interesting to say the least.