Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Crossfire vs. Sebring

Old 03-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire vs. Sebring

I went to the Minneapolis car show yesterday. The Chrysler display had some of the new Sebrings including the convertible. Naturally, I found their Crossfire-inspired styling quite attractive. The Sebring Limited has a new 3.5L V6 with 235 hp as an option. How does this compare to the 3.2L V6 in the non-SRT Crossfires? Will a Sebring Limited really outperform a Crossfire Limited?!?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire vs. Sebring

No it will not outperform the crossfire... in any category...

Old 03-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by radmanly
Will a Sebring Limited really outperform a Crossfire Limited?!?
IMO... NO!

Old 03-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Forum Regular

I'm just talking about performance here. Is the gearing different or what?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since the Sebring doesn't use the Mercedes running gear, I would think all the gearing would be different.
Any horse power advantage it may have would be negated by the extra weight of the Sebring.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:59 PM
RPM

Will a Sebring Limited really outperform a Crossfire Limited?!?
Yes it will . . .
in one area . . .
the LOVE department (queue retro adult film music).

It has a back seat.

(Sorry, couldn't resist).

Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Forum Regular

I thought it unlikely that a Sebring could go 150 MPH, but, then again, I didn't think a Hyundai Sonata could do 147.

BTW, there were NO Crossfires on display at the Minneapolis auto show. They did have the Chrysler Imperial there which was very impressive. If only they'd had the Firepower there, too.

They also had some piece of junk called the Audi R8 trying SO HARD to look as good as a Crossfire.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought it unlikely that a Sebring could go 150 MPH, but, then again, I didn't think a Hyundai Sonata could do 147.

BTW, there were NO Crossfires on display at the Minneapolis auto show. They did have the Chrysler Imperial there which was very impressive. If only they'd had the Firepower there, too.

They also had some piece of junk called the Audi R8 trying SO HARD to look as good as a Crossfire.
Firepower will not be produced at all unfortunately, I really liked the design, styling, and the expected price... Audi R8 Seams ok to me, but maybe the design will grow on me in time...

Old 03-16-2007, 04:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Sebring: Heavier, different torque curve, Chrysler designed suspension (softer touring).

Crossfire: Lighter, nearly flat torque curve across the RPM range, Mercedes Benz designed stiff touring suspension.

I don't think it could even come close to a Crossfire in the slalom, road course or in a quarter mile run. (Drivers being equal in skill or same driver in two separate runs).

Old 03-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Forum Regular

I agree with the others...The Sebring cannot even come close. Primarily due to the extra weight the sebring has with only extra 20 hp. Plus the 3.5 liter engine also adds to the weight issue.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:29 PM

The Sebring with the 3.5 has 20 more HP, but only slightly more torque than a Crossfire. They weigh in approx 400# heavier though. But the car is no slouch, and the new 6 speed automatic does a nice job. The Crossfire is still a little faster in a straight line, and once the road curves the Sebring will be in a ditch before the crossfire even squeals a tire.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Forum Regular

This is exactly what I was worried about. Screw Chrysler for copying the best features of the Crossfire. Now my car is being compared to this P O S ? I don't think so. The only thing the Sebring will beat the Crossfire in is depreciation. Oh, and poor American build quality too.

Shame on you for asking this question. Do you even own a Crossfire?

Old 03-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Forum Regular

Sorry, I am really wound up here guys.
Part 2

Does anyone else remember the last shameless attempt of a domestic (read crap) car maker tried to copy some other European quality design. How about the Ford Grenada? Remember their commercials? They said it looked just like a Mercedes and rode better. Hell I don't know why my dad didn't buy two. Oh yes I do, because it was a Ford. And it was piece. Don't get me wrong here, I am not anti American. ( i did just buy a Harley). Fact is if the domestics could make a better car I will buy it. They can't so I won't. It is sad, I was a GM guy for about 15 years, until I bought my first Toyota. Now There is a car company.

Ok I think I am done now.

Sorry Rad, nothing personal.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:24 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't get it. Why are we even making comparisons with the XF and the Sebring? They are not even in the same market, or are anything alike...

Old 03-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Forum Regular

knowit,

Yes, I do own a Crossfire. I own an aero blue SRT-6 roadster and I love it.

I asked this question because I noticed that Chrysler had put several features from the Crossfire in the new Sebring. The front end is clearly borrowed from the Crossfire. A 3.5L V6 with Autostick is an option on the Sebring Limited. With an additional 20hp over the Crossfire and a (possibly) similar transmission (I wasn't sure how similar hence the question), I was curious about its performance relative to the Base and Limited Crossfire. I didn't mean any offense; I was just curious.

As for American cars in general, my experience hasn't been bad at all. I traded an '01 Sebring convertible to get my Crossfire. That Sebring was a good, reliable, and fun car. It looked sharp, was comfortable and luxurious. My current winter beater, a '96 Chevy Lumina sedan w/80,000 miles, has been solidly reliable. The only thing I've had to repair on that car was the AC which gave out last summer after 10 years of service. When it comes time to replace that car, I would definitely consider one of the new Sebrings or, perhaps, another Crossfire. Japanese cars may be reliable but I think they're excruciatingly boring (with the exception of the RX-8). Toyota doesn't make anything I want and I'd buy a Chrysler 300 or Cadillac CTS before I'd buy an Infiniti or a Lexus. Put custom wheels and a new grill on a Chrysler 300 and it turns heads. The only way to turn heads with a Camry is to light it on fire.

BMWs are a dime a dozen where I live. I'm sure they're great cars but they're too common for me. Same for Mercedes.

Last edited by radmanly; 03-18-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:55 PM

The fact is, American's DO make a better car than they used to. A LOT better. Case in point: My '01 PT cruiser. Purchased new in December 2000, traded in December 2006. Other than oil changes, brakes, tires, and wiper blades, the car never required repair. Nothing. Zilch Zero. Now, tell me, how is a Hon-duh or a Toyota's reliability superior to that? Case in point: My 2004 Dodge Stratus 2.7. 200 HP, 32 MPG on the highway. Bought it used for 11 grand, one year old (there's that crappy DC resale working to MY advantage...LOL). Sold it to buy my Xfire. Drove the car 40K miles. Nothing broke. Nothing. Zero. No problems with the car. Period.
Now i could go into detail about the Hondas i have owned, including the Accord that ate front pads every 15K miles, or the other Accord i had that blew it's tranny at 47K. So Japanese cars DO BREAK. IMHO, one of the greatest values out there is a 1 or 2 year old Chrysler product. (Like my Crossfire). The depreciation is murder, but the cars are good cars. A used Toyota or Honda is a crappy value. The great resale is a double edged sword.
Now, before i am accused of being "anti-Japanese, you should know i own a Subaru and a Toyota (Actually a Scion), so that is not the case. I just hate seeing people trash what i know from actual recent experience are good cars.
Oh, and Radnmanly...you had me laughin my *** off with this statement:
"The only way to turn heads with a Camry is to light it on fire".

Old 03-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Forum Regular

"We don't need no water..."

Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my new Chrysler Magazine yesterday and the focal point seems to be the new Sebring convertible. There is a picture about halfway in with the hard top up, its a small picture but from the angle they took the picture it looks so much like the Crossfire, maybe just a little wider.
There is virtually no mention of the Crossfire, kinda lets you know that after next year its not gonna be in the product mix.

Pat

Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by knowit
This is exactly what I was worried about. Screw Chrysler for copying the best features of the Crossfire. Now my car is being compared to this P O S ? I don't think so. The only thing the Sebring will beat the Crossfire in is depreciation. Oh, and poor American build quality too.
Most car manufacturers copy features from other cars in their line up. For example the RX-8 / Miata / Mazda 3, 6 all have similar tail lights etc. The Chevy cobalt / corvette. The list goes on.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by patpur
Just got my new Chrysler Magazine yesterday and the focal point seems to be the new Sebring convertible. There is a picture about halfway in with the hard top up, its a small picture but from the angle they took the picture it looks so much like the Crossfire
I was looking at the magazine this morning and thought the exact same thing about that picture! At first I was excited that they had featured a Crossfire, then I realized it was the damn Sebring. I think the only crossfire in the whole mag is a little picture on an ad near the back that shows every Chrysler model... sad.

Quick Reply: Crossfire vs. Sebring