Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

This was my first car in a coupe, Considering buying it

Old 04-15-2007, 12:02 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default This was my first car in a coupe, Considering buying it

What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8909&rd=1&rd=1

Old 04-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: This was my first car in a coupe, Considering buying it

Two words - Chick Magnet! It's a hot looking little car and a V-8 to boot. I think it's a knock out. I love the styling of the front.

If it brings back good memories, it's well behaved and affordable - go for it.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FP
FP, I'm not a Ford guy, never was. And back when those cars were new I didn't like them at all.
Now I think they're great looking, I like them alot more than the Falcon of the same vintage. I say go for it.
As much as I love driving my Crossfire, or my Viper, nothing comes close to the feeling I get when I'm crusin in my 1969 coupe.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:45 PM

Looks and sounds attractive, but only 18,401 miles in 42 years? A little more history would be helpful, particularly when the listing mentions "alot of recent front end" and concedes that the car is "not perfect" (which makes a lot of sense at that price). Check the seller's other items; he has an interesting inventory.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:11 PM
RPM

Love it. My Dad also had a Comet back in the day.
Lately I've been pondering whether or not I should have bought a classic car instead of the SRT6. Still not sure.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:12 PM

Yeah the speed-o has probably rolled over, but it's still a really straight looking car.
I've watched some of that dealers other auctions, and they do seem to have some pretty nice stuff.
Alot of times they sell before the auction is over too.
The next time I'm down in there area, I plan on stopping in to check their place out.
I wonder if any of our Fla. members have been there?

Last edited by +fireamx; 04-15-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say buy it... hot car.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:23 PM
FP

I hope I get it.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Forum Regular

looks sweet! i had an old falcon with 3 on the tree, it kinda reminds me of that.

Last edited by nascarhq; 04-15-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe i am just not someone who has the heritage in these cars... as I grew up in Russia we never valued anything "outdated" if a new "gen" car came out passing the old gen... the old gen vehicle will loose a LOT of value and to me buying a car that is 40 years old is no different than buying a lets say computer thats 40 years old... or a tv... technology is always advancing not taking steps backwards and I cannot imagine the car of that time period surpassing a present day car in any aspect other than exclusivity... nor can I imagine using this car as a daily driver, so that leaves you with weekends which you have the crossfire for?

Of course it is your choice on what you purchase, but I would hold out without spending extra money on another vehicle and sometime in the near future purchase something as exclusive, but updated...

Old 04-15-2007, 07:57 PM
FP

Originally Posted by Sidez
Maybe i am just not someone who has the heritage in these cars... as I grew up in Russia we never valued anything "outdated" if a new "gen" car came out passing the old gen... the old gen vehicle will loose a LOT of value and to me buying a car that is 40 years old is no different than buying a lets say computer thats 40 years old... or a tv... technology is always advancing not taking steps backwards and I cannot imagine the car of that time period surpassing a present day car in any aspect other than exclusivity... nor can I imagine using this car as a daily driver, so that leaves you with weekends which you have the crossfire for?

Of course it is your choice on what you purchase, but I would hold out without spending extra money on another vehicle and sometime in the near future purchase something as exclusive, but updated...
There is truth in your point. I do enjoy old cars. Others in this county enjoy other antiques, such as furniture, dishes, candelabras and more. I think for many of us it's just nostalgia. In my case My first car was one like this one. So in fact it would be just a capricious purchase.
Thanks for you input. It's always welcome.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice, go for it, finding another one in this condition will not be easy. Which bidder are you?

Old 04-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FP
There is truth in your point. I do enjoy old cars. Others in this county enjoy other antiques, such as furniture, dishes, candelabras and more. I think for many of us it's just nostalgia. In my case My first car was one like this one. So in fact it would be just a capricious purchase.
Thanks for you input. It's always welcome.
yea nostalgia is good stuff, but then again I would hate driving my first car ever again in my life... russian piece of ****...

Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Forum Regular

don't do it FP... i have been through this with many things such as the fond memories i have of old amiga games from my very early youth and memories of my little turbo beast i built when i first started driving ... and each time i am disappointed when i go back to those things cause my expectations have changed i really want more now.

i think you will find the same with this car ... it will sit around more than not and when you do get to drive it you will be wishing you were in your XF so you can take some corners and not have to worry about what if someone hits it since there are dozens more out there.

hold on to that fond memory you have of it and enjoy that...

Old 04-16-2007, 12:35 PM
FP

There's less than 6 hours to go on this auction, and they have not replied to any of my questions. I'm a bit disappointed because this tells me they prefer to avoid my questions.
Intenseblu, I don't have high expectations of this car. I don't want it for it's cornering abilities, just for cruising on Cruise nights in my town and towns around us in the summer.
But, it doesn't seem like I'll get it as they are ignoring my questions, and I won't bid if they don't answer them.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Forum Regular

ack, sorry to hear they have been uncooperative... cruising is a great american tradition so i can understand it as i do so often even in the crappy over packed area i live in.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sidez
Maybe i am just not someone who has the heritage in these cars... as I grew up in Russia we never valued anything "outdated" if a new "gen" car came out passing the old gen... the old gen vehicle will loose a LOT of value and to me buying a car that is 40 years old is no different than buying a lets say computer that's 40 years old... or a tv... technology is always advancing not taking steps backwards and I cannot imagine the car of that time period surpassing a present day car in any aspect other than exclusivity... nor can I imagine using this car as a daily driver, so that leaves you with weekends which you have the crossfire for?

Sidez, I found your post very interesting, and it really points out some of the very basic differences in our two cultures.
It's obvious that you're a "car guy", but unlike most American car enthusiasts, you have no fondness for vintage automobiles (for obvious reasons). Where as alot of car collectors in the states usually focus their attention on cars that were popular when they were in their late teens, or early 20's. So much so infact, you can actually walk down a line of vintage cars at any weekend car show, and probably guess the owners age (give or take a couple years) without even seeing them in person, more often than not.
I personally feel that you would be pleasantly surprised if you were to sample a few well taken care of, or correctly restored muscle cars, or pony cars of the mid to late 60's, and early 70's. Some of them actually were very good driving machines, especially with their heavy duty suspensions, and larger brakes. Of course one of the biggest things to affect their handling would be the installation of radial tires, and if possible, disc brakes would make for an even better over all driving experience.
Naturally the ride isn't going to be as supple as a car with IRS, and it's not going to feel as agile either, but you will find out that alot of cars of that era were near "bullet proof" in construction and ease of maintenance. With metal that was actually thick enough to withstand somebody leaning on it without denting it.
If you are indeed a car enthusiast, you owe it to yourself to at least check it out. I don't think that you would be disappointed with what you might find.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:31 PM
FP

Mike, first let me thank you for changing your avatar.There's only so much horse *** you can look at.
Well, I didn't buy the car, at least not yet. The auction is over, and though they finally returned my e-mails, they still have not answered my questions. The main question Mike, was about the gap on the passenger side door. So, I'm getting a bit concerned the car was in an accident and they are skirting the truth.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:44 AM

FP, glad you like the new avatar, that's me and my "baby" in the staging lanes at Quaker City Drag Strip.
That noticeable gap that we talked about on the passengers side door, may be nothing at all too.
I do know that Mustangs converts of that vintage did have a problem with "sagging" in the middle as time went on, and since they essentially used the Falcon chassis (which included the Comet) it may very well have had that chronic problem too. When they replaced the floor pans, it might have "stretched" or "re-arched" the chassis just ever so slightly, and it just showed up as a wider gap on that side of the car.
It's really to bad there isn't someone on the forum who lives near that dealer who could go over and check it out for ya.
I'd try to talk to them over the phone, and let em know your concerns. Sometimes you can get a better "feel" for their integrity talking one-on-one.
You can possibly negotiate a better price that way also.
If it turns out that they answer all your questions to your satisfaction, it's really not that expensive to devote a weekend, and fly down and check it out yourself. Then take a nice drive home on Rt.75. (I really do think the weather is going to break eventually).
If it's something that you think that you really want, then what better reason for a road trip?
I drove an old car back from Calif. once, and had quite an adventure. My best friend and I still talk about it 30 years later.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:41 PM
FP

They guy e-mail me and wants $17,500. I will give him a call.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Quick Reply: This was my first car in a coupe, Considering buying it