Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Sebring vs. "C" class

Old 06-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sebring vs. "C" class

Originally Posted by radmanly
You can be grateful that you live in an age when the beautiful 2007 Sebring sedan roams the roads. Billions of humans lived and died never knowing what one looks like (unless, of course, they'd seen a Mercedes Benz C class).
whatever floats your boat. to me, it looks more like a saturn ion with a crossfire hood and chrysler emblems.

Last edited by grphtmtlc11; 06-25-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Forum Regular

Last edited by grphtmtlc11; 06-25-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Forum Regular

I did an opinion test. I asked my wife to pick the car that she liked best from the set of photos in Post #1. No set up, no steering, no identification of what she was looking at...just..."Which car do you like better?"

She picked the Sebring...she said it had more style and was better to look at. Then I told here that one was a Mercedes "C" Class, and the other a Chrysler Sebring Sedan. Her comment...."So I picked the Mercedes?" Nope...she picked the Sebring all on her own.

Hardly a scientific result, just the honest opinion of a wonderful woman.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Forum Regular

once again: never judge a book by its cover.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Forum Regular

That cuts both ways. Just because it says "Chrysler" on the hood doesn't mean it's crap.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Forum Regular

I personally don't love the look of the Sebring sedan. I like the convertible alot more. However you're right about the quality of the car. When you think about what you can get a Sebring for its an amazing value. I rented a Dodge Avenger recently in Florida. Same car as the Sebring. The car was brand new and I loved it. Based on that rental I would definitely consider buying one if the need arises but I think my next choice to compliment the XF in the garage will be something with way better gas mileage if possible.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:53 AM

I think the Airflite concept that the Sebring was styled after looked much sharper. It's surprising how subtle changes in lines and curves can completely alter the overall look. But I think the Sebring, except for the headlights, is nicely styled and looks much better in person than in a picture.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 AM

I think it's insane to simply say that you would not pick a Chrysler product over a Mercedes. Even if I lived a lifestyle that allowed me to avoid looking at price tags, I would still consider what I was spending. I went online to build equally equipped version of the cars and I must say that the Sebring is by far the better VALUE. It doesn't have the Mercedes reputation, but there's no way you can justify spending nearly 7 grand for a C350 or a Sebring Limited. Well, not with my money anyway.

I don't understand why so many Americans assume that American automakers are building lesser cars that Europeans. During my time in Europe (Holland, Germany and Belgium), most of the Europeans I met, wanted American products. Hmmm.

Go figure.

Keith

Old 06-26-2007, 12:05 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SRT6LVR
I don't understand why so many Americans assume that American automakers are building lesser cars that Europeans. During my time in Europe (Holland, Germany and Belgium), most of the Europeans I met, wanted American products. Hmmm.

Go figure.

Keith
That's because we always want what's more of a novelty. Human nature. That said, I have no issues with the sebring (thought not the car I would buy), but why are we comparing a MB with a Chrysler? They're not in the same class.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:19 PM

I don't think it's a fair comparison if done by an automotive journalist, but if the guy was considering the cars for his wife, then they are indeed, in the same class. The C Class is traditionally comparable to the Caddy CTS, Infinity G35 and the BMW 3, but the Sebring has a rich history also. I remember when the Sebring was the only American convertible with a usable back seat that you could buy other than a Mustang. It's really grown up over the years and I believe that dollar for dollar, it would outsell the C Class if people looked at what they were buying.

~ K

Old 06-26-2007, 12:24 PM
FP

Originally Posted by SRT6LVR
The C Class is traditionally comparable to the Caddy CTS, Infiniti G35 and the BMW 3, but the Sebring has a rich history also.
~ K
It does? Honestly, I'm not trying to create an argument. I just don't see it. I'm not saying it's a bad car, but comparing it to the cars listed above doesn't click for me.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:50 PM

I am gonna chime in. The sebring looked good when I first saw it, until I saw the rear. It is one ugly car. Anyway, see if the C sport model changes your mind.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
C class.jpg (35.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Forum Regular

I think the new Sebring will be a victim of the same inept Chrysler marketing as the Crossfire. With the leak of that internal Chrysler memo bemoaning the Sebring/Avenger as "misses," even Chrysler management seems to be piling on.

I've read reviews that range from "it's OK" to it's "abysmal". However, the complaints don't seem out of the ordinary for cars in this class. Some people don't like the styling. That's entirely a matter of personal taste and cars in the low- to mid-$20k price range aren't known for great styling anyway. Is the G6 a work of art? Or the Fusion? Or the Camry? Compared to those bland econoboxes, the Sebring is beautiful. Reviewers complain about the interior materials. Yes, the Sebring interior is covered in plastic just like every other $20-$25k car. I don't know of any car in this price range that offers carbon fiber and Alcantara dashboards and door panels as factory options. I wouldn't opt for the four-cylinder engine but I had the 2.7L V6 in my 2001 Sebring convertible and it was just fine. I've driven a 300 Touring with the 3.5L V6 and it was reasonably peppy. The suspension is soft as it is in all $25k grocery-getters. If you buy a Sebring and then complain that there's too much body roll on track days, you deserve what you get.

Compared to its competition - including the MB C class - the new Sebring is a good choice. I personally like the styling, particularly the Crossfire-inspired elements, and think many of the criticisms of this car come from knee-jerk Chrysler-hating than any real shortcomings of the vehicle.

Last edited by radmanly; 06-26-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crossfreak
I am gonna chime in. The sebring looked good when I first saw it, until I saw the rear. It is one ugly car. Anyway, see if the C sport model changes your mind.
The C sport model does look sharp. Like the C class in my photo, it shares a few design elements with Sebring. They both have the teardrop-shaped headlights and creases running down the sides below the door handles. If you took out the Sebring's mid-body crease, the door panels would be identical.

For an example of the kind of Chrysler-hating I'm talking about, check out the top comment on this page:
The bottom two lines (the middle one being a body side molding) are okay. The problem is the third, upper-most belt-line crease. It’s not parallel to either the window sill or middle line and, combined with the oddly curved C-pillar, simply doesn’t mesh.

He complains that the upper crease isn't parallel to the windows. Well, it isn't parallel to the windows on the C class sport, either, yet nobody's screaming about what a design monstrosity that is.

Last edited by radmanly; 06-26-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Forum Regular

The reason there are "Chrysler haters":

1. The service sucks. The guys selling you the cars tend to not know anything about them. They lie when telling you what it has. And service is the worst of any car make. (Maybe it's different where you live).
2. The cars are overall what you pay for - cheap. (except the crossfire - it is very nice under the hood and outside, but the cheap interior (console panels, trim) sucks).
3. The cars look alike or simply resemble Dodge bodies and put more "plush" crap in them. i.e. dodge charger-chrysler 300; dodge avenger-chrysler sebring, dodge durango-chrysler aspen. i understand other companies do the same: ford-lincoln, gm-cadillac; however there's a complete difference in quality going from a tahoe to an escalade, whereas it's not so much between a durango and an aspen.
4. Chrysler tends to be a scavenger of old parts. (matter of fact they should have called the sebring the "scavenger"). They take once-modern parts from companies and use them for their cars instead of coming up with something themselves.

This is my idea of why there are "chrysler haters." Chrysler was once a quality car brand, then they went downhill. Hopefully, their future will be more promising since they have been bought out by a new company.

Imo, the old sebring looked twice that of the new one. the new one looks reminds me of the old camry and corolla. there's nothing aerodynamic about it. the airflite would have been a much better sight.

Last edited by grphtmtlc11; 06-26-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Forum Regular

I just want to go back a few posts and find out where you can get a C350 for $7,000 more than a Sebring? If thats what you were saying there. I don't think you completed the sentence there, otherwise I just had a Sr. brain fart. Either your paying up the ying yang for a Sebring (like $35,000) or someone in your neck of the woods is giving away MB's for $32,000. There's no way you need to pay more than 20-21K for a Sebring in NY and know way your getting into the new C class for less than between 39-42K when they arrive. I agree with most of the opinions that say the Sebring and Avenger are Outstanding values. But your not comparing apples to apples.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:49 PM
RPM

Just an FYI. Got the new Car & Driver today.
They tested 3 domestic convertibles (with back seats). They placed as follows:
#3. Sebring Touring
#2. Mustang V6
#1. G6 GT

Old 06-26-2007, 07:13 PM
FP

Originally Posted by buggy4crossfires
I just want to go back a few posts and find out where you can get a C350 for $7,000 more than a Sebring? If thats what you were saying there. I don't think you completed the sentence there, otherwise I just had a Sr. brain fart. Either your paying up the ying yang for a Sebring (like $35,000) or someone in your neck of the woods is giving away MB's for $32,000. There's no way you need to pay more than 20-21K for a Sebring in NY and know way your getting into the new C class for less than between 39-42K when they arrive. I agree with most of the opinions that say the Sebring and Avenger are Outstanding values. But your not comparing apples to apples.
THANK YOU... Well put.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by radmanly
I think the new Sebring will be a victim of the same inept Chrysler marketing as the Crossfire. With the leak of that internal Chrysler memo bemoaning the Sebring/Avenger as "misses," even Chrysler management seems to be piling on.
Chrysler's midlevel cars always get crappy marketing. The first Stratus was a decent car but you'd never see any ads or promotion of it.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by buggy4crossfires
There's no way you need to pay more than 20-21K for a Sebring in NY...
You'll pay more than that for a loaded Sebring Limited.

Quick Reply: Sebring vs. "C" class