Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

If your first car was???

Old 12-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post If your first car was???

Will the love of the first car continue for those that had Toyota echo , honda accord,ford tempo etc. Will they be wanting to find one and restore it? With children that grew up in the internet age, do you think the love of older cars will drop off.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: If your first car was???????????????

Dunno but first car that was mine was a XK Jag and have been a sucker for sixes with manual transmissions ever since. Just Crossfire needs one more gear for Interstates.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Post Re: If your first car was???????????????

[QUOTE=Padgett;770578]Dunno but first car that was mine was a XK Jag and have been a sucker for sixes with manual transmissions ever since. Just Crossfire needs one more gear for Interstates.[/QUOTE

Nice first car

Old 12-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think so. That is why they drove those types of cars to begin with. They weren't interested in cars other than just transportation. We didn't have internet, or a lot TV, so we spent more time in our cars...cruisin' racin' whatever, but our cars were our 2nd home...

Old 12-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The majority of today's youth are more interested in having the latest phone than they are in what they drive. Very sad.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Smile Re: If your first car was???????????????

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I don't think so. That is why they drove those types of cars to begin with. They weren't interested in cars other than just transportation. We didn't have internet, or a lot TV, so we spent more time in our cars...cruisin' racin' whatever, but our cars were our 2nd home...
Your correct Doc, i was raised on a farm, every friday, sat, and some what on sunday we were cruising around town. Also on Thursday nights during football season. Gas was about 20 cents a gal, but that was a lot in my area, not alot of extra cash. We would all concentrate at a local Dairy queen type of place, a drag race would be set up and we would all leave a go and park out of town on a strip of hwy and watch the races. Much like American graffiti but a much smaller town. Back then there was a lot of underage drinking and driving, the police let you slide for the most part, they may take your beer and follow you home etc. Not sure how i lived thur those times,had a lot of close calls.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Guess that makes me od^H^H eccentric. The rest of the story:

a) played my first computer game in 1957 so that came first.

b) In my yout I really wanted a TR3b (synchro 1st gear). Could not afford but found a XK140MC that I could. Then I found out why. Still have Whitworth Wrenches & Uni-Syn but have only recently learned to ignore the oil pressure

Jag period lasted until about 1973 and had nine AFAIR. Best was the XK150s roadster I had in college. Least reliable was a Devin-Jag, then came a couple of E's that I used to embarrass 'vettes in autocrosses (one particularly long one was at IRP (Indy). I went through the pylons and chicanes, 'vette just wert outside the course to count pylons. It couldn't keep the Jag in sight.

Along the way I developed a deep distrust of long (over 4") stroke engines (go 7,000 rpm. Once.) but still love the sound of a healthy 6.

As a stopgap I have a CD mount for my phone running Torque and clip there when driving, Plan to mount a real Windows tab with Touchscan, 2013 Sat-Nav, and about 500 albums (sound is much better than Sirius), and things once I get the Clarion M303 in place and a mount possibly above the a/c vent.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Default Re: If your first car was???

My first was a 1974 Plymouth valiant. Great car, had it for 5 years! was still nice when it was sold. Had to many cars at the time (5).

Old 12-09-2013, 03:01 PM

My first was a '54 Chevy Bel Air. I still wish had it when I see a local kid run by with a bright purple, thundering, 24" wheeled '54. It just makes me sad.
Somehow I don't think my son will ever long for his first. An '82 four door Olds Cutlass V8 with just over 100hp and with his hub caps painted flouresent green.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first car was a 1950 Ford 2 door sedan. It was a flat head 6 with gear shift on the column...had overdrive that was activated by the pull of a lever. The color was Hawthorne Green Poly. I installed a 1954 Chevy grill, bolted on 56 Olds spinner hubcaps, fender skirts, dropped the rear with lowering blocks, split the exhaust manifold and ran duals with "Hollywood" mufflers, de-chromed the entire car and placed white "porta-walls" on all 4 tires... This was all done in the year 1956...Man, what a car... would give my left--- to have it today..