Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Cars you've owned previously...

Old 03-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Re: Cars you've owned previously...

Originally Posted by atrius
You guys are going to laugh, but I would say my Crossfire is my first. I have a 2000 Sebring Convertible, but that is not so much as mine as it is "ours". And now it's more the wife's. Same thing with the mid-90s Cougar we had.
That might be the only real VIRGIN post here on the forum!!!

Old 03-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Cars you've owned previously...

1. 52 Chevy
2. 56 Ford Crown Vic.
3. 55 Chevy
4. 62 Chevy Impala
5. 53 Ford
6. 55 Ford
7. 68 Chevy Camero
8. 69 Chevy Corvette
9. 57 Ford
10. 62 Corvair
11. 70 Chevy Monte Carlo
12. 62 Chevy II
13. 50 Ford
14. 59 Pontiac Bonneville
15. 66 Corvair
16. 62 Chevy Impala Conv.
17. 73 Chevy Impala
18. 73 Chevy vega
19. 71 Dodge Van
20. 73 Chevy Camero
21. 75 Olds 98
22. 66 Ford T Bird
23. 78 Chevy Corvette
24. 74 Chevy Corvette
25. 78 Toyota Celica
26. 73 Chrysler
27. 68 Buick
28. 79 Fiat
29. 83 Merc. Cougar
30. 84 Ford Conversion Van
31. 86 Pontiac TA
32. 85 Chevy Camero
33. 72 Benz
34. 89 Ford Aero Star
35. 89 Lincoln Town Car
36. 84 Buick
37. 84 Chrysler K car
38. 88 BMW
39. 95 Isuzu rodeo
40. 96 GMC Conversion Van
41. 84 Buick
42. 01 Toyota Corolla
43. 90 Benz 300 E
44. 05 Chrysler Crossfire
45. 08 BMW 328i

Last edited by Bill F; 04-22-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay, not much at all, but here is my list:

- volvo 340 (my 1987, got used from mum, built in the netherlands with mostly renault-technique, one of the ugliest cars on the planet, 80 hp, some kind of rusted away).

- volvo 460 (my 1994, bought used as a student, also built in the netherlands and NOT in sweden, 90 hp, 1.8 liter engine, quite comfortable and even here in europe a rare car, sold last year).

- chrysler crossfire my 2004 with AT in ssb. bought new. regarding how much I love this one, maybe my last car ... except some children come in my mind, but here in Europe the chrysler 300c is also available, so that would be a nice "cousin" for the crossfire.

greetings from Germany.

jens

Old 03-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Forum Regular
Question Re: Cars you've owned previously...

Originally Posted by Pentastar Rocket
okay, not much at all, but here is my list:

- volvo 340 (my 1987, got used from mum, built in the netherlands with mostly renault-technique, one of the ugliest cars on the planet, 80 hp, some kind of rusted away).

- volvo 460 (my 1994, bought used as a student, also built in the netherlands and NOT in sweden, 90 hp, 1.8 liter engine, quite comfortable and even here in europe a rare car, sold last year).

- chrysler crossfire my 2004 with AT in ssb. bought new. regarding how much I love this one, maybe my last car ... except some children come in my mind, but here in Europe the chrysler 300c is also available, so that would be a nice "cousin" for the crossfire.

greetings from Germany.

jens
Can we PLEASE see some pics of these first two cars. Also, is it true that you guys get the 300C "touring" over there? I'm hearing that its basically a 300C station wagon. I took some pics of one from over here that had manufactures plates on it.

***Update*** did it look like this: http://www.volvo300mania.com/spgm/ga...40_mb0002a.jpg

Last edited by Aero Blue; 03-17-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Here's my list. Not as many as posted by Redcross, but he's got a 10 year head start on me.

MOPAR

1. 63 Dodge 880 conv. (my 1st. car) 18' long, what a boat, but at least the top went down.
2. 64 Chrysler New Yorker "413"
3. 64 Dodge 440 "383".
101. 85 Mazda 626 4dr.
102. 98 Volkswagen Beetle "original owner"
103. 90 Acura Legend
104. 92 Honda Civic Hatch back "original owner"
That is just pure insanity.

Fireamx had 104 cars in 39 years.
Redcross had 137 cars in 50 years.

Fireamx = 2.67 cars per year
Redcross = 2.74 cars per year

I really don't understand how anyone can own almost 3 different cars per year over decades of living.

Can either of you enlighten the rest of us?

Old 03-18-2006, 09:57 AM

OK... dad owned a used car lot so I drove hundreds of cars for a day or two at a time, but these are the ones I actually owned and drove for a long time.

65 Ford Mustang (sweet car for a 16 year old kid)
67 Merc. Cougar (very nice interior but had a serious tranny leak)
71 Olds 442 (probably my all time favorite ... would run a hole in the wind and look good doing it ... wish I still had it)
77 Chevy Camaro Z28 (looked great ... ran great ... nice car)
81 Ford F-150 (nice truck but I only kept it for a year)
72 Chevy PU (solid steel but worn out by the time I got it)
82 Mazda 626 (good car but the wife tore it up)
92 Chevy Camaro Z28 (ran great, but wife tore it up too)
77 Chevy PU (fully custom truck ... fun while I had it)
80 Chevy Corvette (looked fantastic but not a great car overall)
78 Dodge ramcharger (built very solid ... no problems)
95 Jeep Cherokee (nice enough ... but it didn't move me)
92 Ford F-150 (200,000 miles and in perfect condition when I sold it)
97 Chrysler Sebring (never in the shop once in 7 years ... very good car)
01 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson edition (weet truck ... still have it)
05 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster (love the drop top ... so far great car!)

I have probably forgotten a couple. I know there were a few that I sold very fast, but these are the ones that I remember the most.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pelked1
That is just pure insanity.
I really don't understand how anyone can own almost 3 different cars per year over decades of living.

Can either of you enlighten the rest of us?
Pelked1, I'd gladly answer your question, but I'm not exactly sure what it is that you want to know. Could you be just a little more specific?... Mike

Old 03-19-2006, 06:27 AM

He wants to know why you bought 2.7 cars per year in your known driving life? I think he thinks this is a Genius Book record issue.

All he is looking for is why did you buy so many cars? I would think you lost a lot of money in the process. It is difficult to sell a car for more than you bought it. Especially if you only own it for 3 to 4 months.

I have owned about 30 vehicles over 35 years and I know at times I took a beating.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member
Thumbs up Re: Cars you've owned previously...

Yes, I have owned a lot of cars over the years. Some Deals and some not.
Special cars I had for many years and some, not so special, I had for a week. There were times that I owned six cars at the same time. Six cars= 1 for wife, 1 for son, 1 for me, 1 for each of our two dogs and 1 as an extra.
I would buy a beater truck to carry the bikes to the woods/track and be happy. Then I would get it fixed up the way I wanted it...BUT then it would be too nice to get scratched up...SSSSSssssssssooooooo...then I would buy another beater and start over again...crazy, huh??!!
I have bought a car worth $500.00 for $100.00, fixed it for $25.00 and sold it for $600.00.
Not a lot of profit, but worth the trouble. Some were four digit monies to five digit monies.
I have also sold cars and broke even.
AND YES, I have lost on some deal from time to time.
Why have I done this...I'M CAR CRAZY...and because I do love cars, I have owned almost every car that I have had the desire for (and could afford).
Even if you don't get ALL your money back, you paid for the enjoyment and that made it a break even deal.
BTW there are STILL cars out there in my horizon.
You can't treat that kind of relationship light.
Sorta like my maital status...coming up on 43 years...44, if you count the dating part!!!

Old 03-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: Cars you've owned previously...

Redcross
I enjoyed reading your post! Love the humor and "WOW" on all your cars...especially the ones for your dog.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:20 PM

pelked1,
I think the answer is...
because they can!
(and they don't need to justify anything)

Old 03-19-2006, 01:31 PM

Can we PLEASE see some pics of these first two cars. Also, is it true that you guys get the 300C "touring" over there? I'm hearing that its basically a 300C station wagon. I took some pics of one from over here that had manufactures plates on it.
yes, I was trying to post a picture of these cars (actually mine), but even when the pic is small enough and it is a jpg. by the way, I have no chance to post it ("invalid file" or so). the link you've posted was the right one, mine was white, not red. the 460 looks like a smaller 850 which was sold in the states, I think. and: yes, we guys have the 300c touring, which is indeed a 300c limousine transformed to a station wagon. this car is based an the dodge magnum, which is not available here. chrysler sells the pt cruiser (+ conv.) , the sebring (+conv.), the crossfire (+ conv.), the viper (named as "chrysler" viper!) and the 300c (+ station). the neon was a flop and is not longer available. we have also all JEEPS. btw: station wagons are very popular here, like cars with diesel-engines. the prices for gas are horribly high here, one liter (not gallon!) super-gas makes approx. 1,40 Euros. even your prices rose also, this is a hard smack in the crown jewels for everyone who drives some sort of "gas-guzzler". so - you might guess it - driving an american car with a big engine (V-8) is a thing which is impossible for many people and percentage of us made cars here is not more than 2%. this has other reasons, too.

maybe interesting for you: the brand DODGE is being relaunched after decades on the german market, but they will only sell the nitro and the caliber ...

jens

Old 03-19-2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Pelked1, I'd gladly answer your question, but I'm not exactly sure what it is that you want to know. Could you be just a little more specific?... Mike
Fireamx,
It boggles my mind to think of having a different car every 4-5 months for my entire life. It seems like to do that, you are selling a car every 4-5 months as well. For me, it is a major pain in the rear selling a car having to list it, field calls, paperwork, dealing with the public etc...

I was just wondering how in the world anyone would have the time and energy to turn cars so often. Are you in a business of turning cars for profit?

For me, I buy a car I like, and I hang on to it. I have noticed that I will get bored with a vehicle after a few years and want to get into something else.

If I end up buying a car I didn't like, sure, I would probably try to quickly get into something else, so I may just sell that one and try again. But doing this multiple times a year just seems like such a headache to me (and most likely expensive).

I guess it just depends on who you are. If you are Jay Leno, then you have a team of people doing that for you, and an infinite pocketbook to keep the operation running. If you are into a business of buying and selling cars, then that makes sense, too. Also, if you have a big family, I can see buying cars for them and replacing wrecks and having beaters and whatnot...

I was just wondering what your philosophy was on this to have owned so many cars. Looks like Redcross has an answer for himself, and that answer is: because "I'm car crazy!", and that's cool.

Old 03-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suppose my story is very similar to Red Cross. I've always been a car nut too. My Father was a new car salesman for the first 27 years of my life, so it was very common for him to drive 2 or 3 different new cars every model year. That fact must have "ingrained itself into me at a very early age, and I guess that's why I felt comfortable with the "fleet mentality" I developed. My brother was 6 years older, and of course very much into cars also, so I never really had much of a chance to break free of the "automotive addiction, monkey on my back" thing. (Not that I wanted to).
Getting my drivers license in Jan. 1967 put me right in the middle of the "Muscle Car Wars", so it was kind of like a sink or swim situation for a car guy. You either had a nice, fast car, or you got no respect on the street. I realize how silly all of this sounds to some of you, but it truly is the way it was 40 years ago (or at least how a car guy perceived it). On Fri. and Sat. nights in the summer, every dozen stop lights or so, you had to prove yourself, and your cars ability to the guy who pulled up beside you. Hey, they didn't raise the car insurance rates in the fall of 1969 for nothing.
Since I never drank, smoked, gambled, or used recreational drugs, I always had a little extra cash to splurge on toys, so I did. I bought my first house when I was 24, and I didn't get married until I was 32, so I never had a wife or kids to worry about, and that allowed me to indulge myself all the more. When I finally met the "right" woman and got married, she turned out to be someone who enjoyed cars too. So the cycle continued. Even when my daughter was born in 1986, we continued to enjoy a number of sporty cars. But 2 seaters have always been my cars of choice, and probably always will.
Actually, if you subtract all the "winter" cars, and Vans from my list, the number drops to 74. The winter cars were usually bought and sold at little or no loss or gain. Lots of other cars I actually turned a profit on because I was able to buy them "wholesale" thanks to my Dad. But of course over the years I probably lost $1,000s on all the New cars I bought. But since the new ones are the ones you really, really want, the enjoyment that you get out of them is hard to put a price on.
Right now I own 9 cars. 2 are projects, 3 are our everyday vehicles, and the AMX, Viper, Miata, and Crossfire are the "toys". I can honestly say there isn't any other cars out there that I currently want. Oh sure I'd love a Ford GT, or a Porsche Cayman, but not enough to give up any of the toys that I now have. The only car that I ever wanted, and never got was a mid 60's Jaguar XK-E coupe. When ever I was in the financial position to actually buy one, I chickened out because of all the electrical, and mechanical nightmare "horror" stories I had heard about. Still, I feel it's got to be one of the most beautiful designs ever.
I suppose I simply feel "variety" truly is the spice of life, and since we're only on this planet for a very short time, you might as well surround yourself with God, family, friends, pets, hobbies, and toys that you enjoy. And everything else sort of works itself out.

"Sorry for the long post".

Old 03-20-2006, 04:03 PM

Our Daughter just picked this one up. Very sweet ride! Lots of road noise, lol!

Old 03-20-2006, 04:11 PM

Pentastar Rocket,
Thanks for clearing that up about the 300C Touring edition. Before we got our 300C I SAW one of those and thought it was a Magnum that was out really early that someone altered! Now I'm sure it must have been the 300C Touring. Too bad we couldn't get those here, now we have a 300C AND a Magnum srt. That could have been the 2 rolled up in 1!
Danke!

Old 03-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you tell her to be careful with that front overhang... a curb too high & bye bye goes the lower front bumper.
Originally Posted by MI Roadster

Old 03-21-2006, 02:57 PM

Pentastar Rocket,
Thanks for clearing that up about the 300C Touring edition. Before we got our 300C I SAW one of those and thought it was a Magnum that was out really early that someone altered! Now I'm sure it must have been the 300C Touring. Too bad we couldn't get those here, now we have a 300C AND a Magnum srt. That could have been the 2 rolled up in 1!
Danke
!
Bitte!

the 300c touring is a nice machine which sells not too bad here - with the diesel-engine (from mercedes). I remember that it was said that the US market is not (more) a market for stations, because the SUVs nibbled away the sales ... is that right? compared to bmws, audis or mercedes-benz, it offers a lot for a fair price, so this rig is in my mind as the next car - the crossfire is not a children`s car ....

btw: the new mustang gt shown here in this thread is also a very attractive automobile! but ford europe has no interest to import this legend to the continent - a mistake, if you ask me! instead, they torture us with boring cars like the mondeo.

darn, I am not able to post any pics (.jpg), no matter how small they are! I am too stupid or is there a trick? there is always that "invalid file" message ...

jens

Old 03-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pentastar Rocket
!
Bitte!

the 300c touring is a nice machine which sells not too bad here - with the diesel-engine (from mercedes). I remember that it was said that the US market is not (more) a market for stations, because the SUVs nibbled away the sales ... is that right? compared to bmws, audis or mercedes-benz, it offers a lot for a fair price, so this rig is in my mind as the next car - the crossfire is not a children`s car ....

btw: the new mustang gt shown here in this thread is also a very attractive automobile! but ford europe has no interest to import this legend to the continent - a mistake, if you ask me! instead, they torture us with boring cars like the mondeo.

darn, I am not able to post any pics (.jpg), no matter how small they are! I am too stupid or is there a trick? there is always that "invalid file" message ...

jens
Jens the upload of photos is not your lack of understanding but rather a transitional period this forum is going thru... a newer gallery/software... setup but the admin is working on getting it right...

patience...

josh

Old 03-21-2006, 03:29 PM

Jens the upload of photos is not your lack of understanding but rather a transitional period this forum is going thru... a newer gallery/software... setup but the admin is working on getting it right...

patience...

josh
okay, thanks for the info, josh!

jens

Quick Reply: Cars you've owned previously...