Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

another xfire running track in so cal

Old 06-01-2006, 03:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another xfire running track in so cal

hey hddp... looks like there's another xfire in so cal putting their car to good use... ;-)

http://www.opentrackracing.com/03162005/p1010074.jpg

hoping to take part on 6/21 event...

Old 06-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: another xfire running track in so cal

Originally Posted by srt6_crossfire
hey hddp... looks like there's another xfire in so cal putting their car to good use... ;-)

http://www.opentrackracing.com/03162005/p1010074.jpg

hoping to take part on 6/21 event...
YAHOOO !!! Keep me posted... My car should be back from getting caged by then... Who's car is that ? I know it's at Willow Springs BIG TRACK right to the side of the pit lanes. Seriously, if you are going to run that event, let me know... I'm off work and I'll join you.

Last edited by HDDP; 06-01-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Forum Regular

I don't know who owns that white xfire. I was just going over the site's gallery to look for my friend's pic and stumbled upon that one.

21st is on a wednesday so that kinda sucks for me that i have to use a day off for it. Yeah, i'll let you know if i can go. This wannabe racer can sure use a few pointers... alright a lot. :-)

Old 06-10-2006, 01:27 AM

I don't know who owns that white xfire. I was just going over the site's gallery to look for my friend's pic and stumbled upon that one.

21st is on a wednesday so that kinda sucks for me that i have to use a day off for it. Yeah, i'll let you know if i can go. This wannabe racer can sure use a few pointers... alright a lot. :-)
We're going to run on June 21st with Open Track... It will be a good test for the car after the partial rebuild and the cage install... I have a few friends joining as well... Hope you can make it out...

Old 06-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HDDP
We're going to run on June 21st with Open Track... It will be a good test for the car after the partial rebuild and the cage install... I have a few friends joining as well... Hope you can make it out...
Me and a friend signed up. See you there.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 PM

Me and a friend signed up. See you there.
Oh man... I can't make it... I took the car over for a new exhaust system yesterday and it won't be done for a few days... Sorry, my bad... I spaced it out...

Old 06-22-2006, 02:49 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HDDP
Oh man... I can't make it... I took the car over for a new exhaust system yesterday and it won't be done for a few days... Sorry, my bad... I spaced it out...
No problem... plenty of track days left. :-)

There was a lot of people. As far as cars, it seemed like it was organized by PCA, porsches everywhere, one Ford GT, one Ferrari, few Mustang GT's (with only license plates taped off, huh??), bimmers, subarus, evos, one cop car with lights flashing, and of course one xfire.

It was hot as hell, my temperature gauge was showing 120 F.

Few spin outs and one rollover (subaru, driver ok). You think I can switch out factory roll bar with something that is actually functional but still is aesthetically pleasing? Seriously worried being in a rollover and have no protection for it.

Got black flagged due to my camera man in passenger seat, haha.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem... plenty of track days left. :-)

There was a lot of people. As far as cars, it seemed like it was organized by PCA, porsches everywhere, one Ford GT, one Ferrari, few Mustang GT's (with only license plates taped off, huh??), bimmers, subarus, evos, one cop car with lights flashing, and of course one xfire.

It was hot as hell, my temperature gauge was showing 120 F.

Few spin outs and one rollover (subaru, driver ok). You think I can switch out factory roll bar with something that is actually functional but still is aesthetically pleasing? Seriously worried being in a rollover and have no protection for it.

Got black flagged due to my camera man in passenger seat, haha.
Sounds like an action packed day SRT. Did you get any pics/video before you got flagged? It would be great to see more pics and footage of Crossfires actually in action.

Interesting to note that people are taping up their license plates over there too. They do it here because many of the insurance companies check the trackday websites as people have started to make fraudulent claims. There have been an increasing number of incidents where people have had a prang on the track then claimed the accident happened 'on the way to the shops'. Your normal road insurance usually excludes trackdays, although some of the more enlightened ones cover non-timed events organized through a recognized club.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:25 PM

SRT6: Sorry I missed you at Willow Springs, just got my car back from the install of a new exhaust system and now trying to prime the interior and roll cage to get it ready for paint.

I don't think you would be happy with a new set of roll bars, in order to make it really safe, you would have to install a full hoop behind the seats with cross bar. My guess is that most of the crashes happened at the turn 8-9 complex. Turn 9 is a killer if you make a mistake. Now you know why I opted for the full roll cage !

I'll let you know when I get the car track ready again, it's going to be another few weeks.

Woody: They have been taping license plates here for a few reasons, the manufacturers are trying to void warranty repairs for cars that run the track, as well as insurance companies for damage... And also, you'll see a few people out there with leased cars who tape the plates... It's kinda funny

I just had a new exhaust system built by a race shop here in LA. It's now a true dual 2.5" ID system all the way back. We used two 12" 2.5" ID Duramax Bullet mufflers in the mid section then two 18" glass packs before the tail pipes. We measured the Db and were running 102 db, so we installed two stubby chrome 60 degree turn down tail pipes to direct the noise down. The car sounds like a hot rod now... I think I'll be OK at the sound check station during tech inspection.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so lets hear some sound. see some pics. can't wait.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by ROY BARBER
so lets hear some sound. see some pics. can't wait.
Will do Roy... ASAP

PS: Woody, considering the issue I had with the dyno FAM showing very lean, and working under the assumption that the sensors were causing it. We built a recessed adapter for the sensors that pulls the tip away from the inside of the pipe and has a series of small drill holes that allows fresh air to come in contact with the sensor. We're hoping that the sensors will be tricked into thinking the car is running lean...

Old 06-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by woody
Sounds like an action packed day SRT. Did you get any pics/video before you got flagged? It would be great to see more pics and footage of Crossfires actually in action.

I was more anxious in getting to drive that I barely remembered to take pics and videos. I know one thing you folks would probably would have like for me to show you are two full blown nascar racecars running with the advanced group. It was unreal. I could just imagine looking in my rear view hearing this loud monsters right up my ***. hehe

I almost didn't go to the track since my house got broken into a few days before. My buddy convinced me to go at last minute so I didn't really have time to properly hookup a camera to my car. Good thing they allowed passengers so I was at least able to have him get some vid of the track that I can watch and learn from.

I took it easy on this run since I had a passenger with me. Also this was the run that some guy in a subaru rolled over. I had my top down and knowing my roll bar was all for show didn't really provide me confidence to go ***** out.

I'll definitely be more prepared next time and get a camera setup going.

Anyways, i hope you guys like it.

The title of the vid says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbo2bAfYPIQ

Me taking a leisure drive in my xfire..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXZRnfYQgj8

Oh as far as speeds, was able to get to 125 mph on the long straight prior to turn 1. I'm pretty sure i could go faster if my exit on turn 9 was decent. My friend who has more experience than me was also doing 125 mph in this straight and he has a Porsche Carrera 2.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:23 PM

Good job... I wish I had finished the car last week so I could have joined you... 125 on the front straight is quite respectable. You can do the math, it's 1800' from turn 9 to the entrance of turn 1. The fastest I can hit is 113 on that part of the track, I would need another 300' to hit 125.

Anyway, I have about another 20 hours of work to get my car track ready again. I probably won't hit Willow Springs till the end of the summer because it gets way too hot... My next event is the full Grand Am course (ROVAL) at california motor speedway on Friday, July 21.

I might get out to Button Willow to do some testing before then though...