Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Race Seat Advice

Old 12-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Seat Advice

Guys, just got my Limited 3 weeks ago and I really like the car so far. I'm planning on a few lapping days next year and I know my 6'1 frame will NEVER fit with a helmet on. I used to slide down in the seat on my Miata but with the dash pad in the XF this will never work. I'm pretty sure my best option is to buy a race seat. Does any one know what seats fit? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Race Seat Advice

You'll have to ask HDDP what he is using, or else find the lowest mounting seat you can and bolt up to the floor.

If your having issues with sliding around on the Limited seats leather surface, I discovered a neat little trick to get the smooth leather to stick to your body. What you need to do it spray down the leather seat with the "brown bottle of Lexol" leather treatment. rub it in real good, I usually do about two coats, then polish it off. Now go for a drive and you'll see that stuff really helps the leather grab onto your pants.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Forum Regular

See post #7in this thread... https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t=racing+seats

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
6102P1010063-med.JPG (40.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 12-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dynamicS
you'll have to ask HDDP what he is using, or else find the lowest mounting seat you can and bolt up to the floor.

If your having issues with sliding around on the Limited seats leather surface, I discovered a neat little trick to get the smooth leather to stick to your body. What you need to do it spray down the leather seat with the "brown bottle of Lexol" leather treatment. rub it in real good, I usually do about two coats, then polish it off. Now go for a drive and you'll see that stuff really helps the leather grab onto your pants.
This works for me from sliding around on my seat at the track.

http://www.cg-lock.com/

Old 12-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

A little known trick you can do with the factory belts that the head HPDE instructor showed me at the NASA event last November is this...

1. With your right hand, pull your shoulder belt up as tight as you can get it near the lap buckle and hold it near your body.

2. With your left hand, pull the upper part of the shoulder belt out from your body and let it snap back into the retractor.

This should lock the belt. You may have to do it a few times if it's suborn.

Last step to really make sure you are 'tucked in'. Move the seat forward to tighten the belt further.

Cheers!

Old 12-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eunospeed
Guys, just got my Limited 3 weeks ago and I really like the car so far. I'm planning on a few lapping days next year and I know my 6'1 frame will NEVER fit with a helmet on. I used to slide down in the seat on my Miata but with the dash pad in the XF this will never work. I'm pretty sure my best option is to buy a race seat. Does any one know what seats fit? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Race seats are an expensive luxury if you're only going to drive on the track a few times a year... They aren't really comfortable for daily driving IMO.

If you decide to get race seats, look at SPARCO... they have many styles and price ranges with sliders that will fit the crossfire with a few mods to the floor pan.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by HDDP
Race seats are an expensive luxury if you're only going to drive on the track a few times a year... They aren't really comfortable for daily driving IMO.

If you decide to get race seats, look at SPARCO... they have many styles and price ranges with sliders that will fit the crossfire with a few mods to the floor pan.
Thanks for the input, I really don't want to fool with a race seat but I can't figure another way to get enough head room. I had Sparco Torino's in my last Miata and they were great (although not a race seat). I've done a search on lowering the factory seat but have not found any info. Can this be done?

Old 12-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The 8-way power driver's seat is easily tilted back a bit to get as low as it can. This may bring your leg room down even more, but give you the extra head room you need for the helmet.

Basically the horizontal adjustment switch, push down the back part and front part until they bottom out. Then bring up the front until the seat tilts back just a little bit.

Now you should be able to lean the back of the seat rearward a bit (may require sliding the whole seat forward slightly.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Forum Regular

Summit Racing equipment has a good deal on racing/street seats, they come in black, grey, and beige, for only $189, heck all you need is one.
they also have lumbar support unlike the stock seats. I think I will have to buy one myself.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:20 PM

Summit Racing equipment has a good deal on racing/street seats, they come in black, grey, and beige, for only $189, heck all you need is one.
they also have lumbar support unlike the stock seats. I think I will have to buy one myself.
I've driven at the track in the Corbeau Clubman and it worked real well. Another bud recommends the Forza for about the same price. I know these seats are in the $200 - $220 range which is pretty cheap for the comfort and safety they provide. Only problem is I would have to swap the seats before I go to the track and then drive 4 hours to and from. Guess I could also pull the passenger seat and bolt down the race seat until I got to the track...

Old 12-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Forum Regular

For $200 you can get a Corbeau seat, but uncovered. And the Clubman looks to be very uncomfortable with the side leg supports. I think a fully covered Corbeau seat runs about $300 for vinyl and usable for everyday driving.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:59 PM

For $200 you can get a Corbeau seat, but uncovered. And the Clubman looks to be very uncomfortable with the side leg supports. I think a fully covered Corbeau seat runs about $300 for vinyl and usable for everyday driving.
Actually, the Forza with black cloth can be had for $204.95 and this includes shipping. Check ebay.

My greatest concern is using the factory seatbelt with the racing seat. I don't want to run into any tech issues. I need to do a little more research before I place the order.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:51 PM

I have a MOMO T Frame in my other car. Its comfortable with a lot of support, but its a bit narrow in the shoulders. BTW I'm 6'1 and I haven't had any trouble with my helmet fitting. No rubs getting in and out of the car either.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by drpeppermx6
I have a MOMO T Frame in my other car. Its comfortable with a lot of support, but its a bit narrow in the shoulders. BTW I'm 6'1 and I haven't had any trouble with my helmet fitting. No rubs getting in and out of the car either.
Please share the information / photos of your track experiences... I'm sure everyone would love hearing from another track junkie.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:15 PM

Actually, the Forza with black cloth can be had for $204.95 and this includes shipping. Check ebay.

My greatest concern is using the factory seatbelt with the racing seat. I don't want to run into any tech issues. I need to do a little more research before I place the order.
I don't know what tech issues you would be running into if you are just doing track days. Check with your sanctioning body and see what they require, but most track day coordinators only require standard OEM seat belts.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by drpeppermx6
Are you saying its easy to get in and out of your "other" car or XFire? I'm slightly over 6'1 and there's simply no way for me to fit into my XFire without gaining at least 1"-1.5" extra in headroom. My build is slightly long-waisted and I'm sure that's the problem... for guys who have long legs I would think the knee pad would be an issue.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
I don't know what tech issues you would be running into if you are just doing track days. Check with your sanctioning body and see what they require, but most track day coordinators only require standard OEM seat belts.
Your right about OEM stuff for track days. I'm referring to any difficulties that I might run into attaching all my OEM seatbelt stuff to a race seat. I know the belt and clip are attached to the factory seat... I'm just wondering how easy it would be to fit this to a race seat?

Old 12-30-2006, 09:31 PM

I meant I haven't had any trouble in the XFire. I usually have the seat all the way down and too close to the steering wheel (I guess I'm a nascar driver at heart ?!). The leg pad under the steering wheel is usually my issue. My other car is an MX6 if you're curious.

HDDP, I'll be posting some pics next year when I finally get my mx6 track car back on track. If you're looking at having some fun this summer and don't mind traveling to the great white north, the Ontario Touring GT Championship is going to have a support race for the Champ Car Grand Prix of Toronto. Just register, qualify and race!

Old 12-30-2006, 09:50 PM

Your right about OEM stuff for track days. I'm referring to any difficulties that I might run into attaching all my OEM seatbelt stuff to a race seat. I know the belt and clip are attached to the factory seat... I'm just wondering how easy it would be to fit this to a race seat?
It will take some fabrication and you'll have to do some electrical work since the female end of the seatbelt is wired to the computer system... You'll have a "AIRBAG" warning Light and also the "SEATBELT" warning if you don't rewire the female end of the harness back into the system.

There is a wiring harness under the seat that provides power to the adjustment motors of the seat as well as the seatbelt and heating mechanism. You'll have to figure out which wires go where and jump the wires to the seatbelt in order to prevent the fault lights.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:50 PM

It will take some fabrication and you'll have to do some electrical work since the female end of the seatbelt is wired to the computer system... You'll have a "AIRBAG" warning Light and also the "SEATBELT" warning if you don't rewire the female end of the harness back into the system.

There is a wiring harness under the seat that provides power to the adjustment motors of the seat as well as the seatbelt and heating mechanism. You'll have to figure out which wires go where and jump the wires to the seatbelt in order to prevent the fault lights.

Quick Reply: Race Seat Advice