Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Crossfire Cal Speedway Schedule

Old 03-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crossfire Cal Speedway Schedule

i'm a student/worker, so monetary incentives are what i'm all about. i'm there if you are srt-6, let me know. we have a couple days, so i will keep my eyes peeled for your response. i think we will be able to get more runs on sunday.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My understanding is the schedule will be the same both days... just less crowded on Sunday.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by x'ed
i'm a student/worker, so monetary incentives are what i'm all about. i'm there if you are srt-6, let me know. we have a couple days, so i will keep my eyes peeled for your response. i think we will be able to get more runs on sunday.
derek's the one that organized the spectators and for all of us to run together so if he's cool with that then sunday it is. we have to till monday to reply back so we got some time.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:58 PM

i just figured less cars meant more runs. in any case, i would like there to be a little less traffic, so i can go slow in peace lol.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got home from work and saw this... The most important thing is for you guys to have fun / learn something / have more fun / enjoy the experience / have even more fun / and oh yeah I almost forgot / GO FAST & HAVE FUN

So, it really doesn't matter to me what you guys prefer, I'm there for 3 days and running in TT at different times than HPDE 1 & 2. It looks like I'm going to have my hands full, fighting thru tons of TT race traffic too.

The other forum members who were going to visit on Saturday can still visit, or change to Sunday if they want. Most importantly is that you guys have fun and enjoy your day at the track and your experience running with NASA.

Now my big question is "What if everybody, many people, in HPDE 1, who received this e-mail decide to switch to Sunday ? Does that mean Saturday traffic is light and then Sunday is a zoo ?

Perhaps you can wait till the last minute to see how many people switch days and then make your decision. Let's keep each other posted over the weekend. And maybe Sunday night you guys can fire-off an e-mail to Ryan to see how many people switched !!!

PS: Now I know why they were asking me if I wanted to instruct HPDE 1 for this event... Looks like there are going to be a lot of students and not enough instructors.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:36 AM

Well, looks like I may end up going out on my own most of the event. I'd hate to deprive HPDE 1 people of their instructors.

That's okay... I'll go slow the first few laps and make them think I'm a chicken... (I probably am).

Old 03-10-2007, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Well, looks like I may end up going out on my own most of the event. I'd hate to deprive HPDE 1 people of their instructors.

That's okay... I'll go slow the first few laps and make them think I'm a chicken... (I probably am).
You're definitely no chicken (I observed you at Buttonwillow)... Although the CMS track wall on the oval is a bit intimidating at first, especially at 125+ mph with an 11% to 14% bank, but once you realize that a nice steady entry speed is not going to push you too high toward the top of the track, you'll feel much more comfortable. The rest of the track (infield) is really easy, acceleration, brake, turn (repeat as needed). It's actually easier than Buttonwillow.

Look at it this way, if SRT6_CROSSFIRE & X'ED change to Sunday, you'll already have an entire day of track time under your belt from the day before and be pushing hard thru the entire track while they are still learning the layout & line.

There's a bright side to every dark cloud !

I would normally ask Ryan & Greg to join one event in HPDE with you guys, but it looks like there may be too many cars for that request to be granted during this event. And I'm going to be running 12 sessions in 3 days and my car is going to get beat-up and I only bought one extra set of racing tires, not to mention my stamina will be destroyed with 5 hours of hard competition in 72 hours.

Either way, there's a positive side to this whole thing. Perhaps a few people with some track experience may be offered to bump to HPDE 2 without instructors and still run with the HPDE 1 & 2 group.

I know your driving capabilities Jody. With one 20 minute instructor session, you can master that track easily on your own for the rest of the weekend. Just memorize those videos from youtube and you'll be fine. I just added to your original track map and placed (fast & safe) "corner entry speeds" that will be perfect for your car and still allow you to lap a few people per event.

Either way, let's not jump the gun. This is going to be an exciting event with many participants from all over Southern California & Arizona. Some of you may not want an instructor in the car after the second session and ask to solo (HPDE 2), so you don't have to listen to some knucklehead chatting in your ear while you're trying to concentrate.

My bet is that you're all going to want to solo after the first session, but always remember, you can keep the instructor for all the events, you paid for them with the registration fee.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CMS - Speed Entry.jpg (333.2 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by HDDP; 03-10-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:58 AM

Derek,

Thanks for the map update and vote of confidence!

I never felt that the instructors were chatting... I really felt they offered a lot of little tidbits of experience that I would have otherwise missed. Shawn (the guy in my videos) was great as were all the instructors. I can't remember the name of that little lady that I got for my last instructor on Sunday at Buttonwillow, but she was an awesome mentor. She gave me simple pointers and didn't try to interfere with my concentration any more than necessary. She also listened to my questions with attention and gave me straight answers ... no B.S.

Everyone should (if possible) try and get an instructor if this is your first time on a track. For those more experienced, maybe get one the first or second session if you can, but you should be okay going by what Derek says.

Thanks again for the speed pointers... you can't tell from the video how fast those guys are really going sometimes (even with the telemetry, I was too busy watching the road).

On a brighter note... I got my brand new spankin R-4 compound pads today and race brake fluid! YAY!

Old 03-10-2007, 04:13 AM

i just figured less cars meant more runs. in any case, i would like there to be a little less traffic, so i can go slow in peace lol.
If you would like to participate in your events / sessions at a pace that would make you feel more comfortable, and less pressured with many cars behind you, then all you have to do is grid-up at the back of your group, that way you will not have anyone crawling-up your tail pipe for about 5-6 laps.

I think you might be a bit too anxious about being pressured by faster cars and more aggressive drivers. There is NO PASSING during turns in HPDE 1, the only passing allowed is on clear-open straights. And once you get a hang for the track, you'll feel like you're driving down the freeway because everyone is pretty much going the same speed you are.

To be candid with you, I find it more fun when I'm in a tight bunch of cars traveling at similar speeds, nose to tail. This might be a bad analogy, but It's kinda like playing a video game alone, or against someone else. The more, the merrier !!!

Most importantly, you have to remember, everyone in your group (HPDE 1) has basically the same anxiety and the same skill level. So, they are all out there to try to learn and become comfortable on a racetrack in a safe environment, that's why you can't just jump-in on these NASA events without being approved and or taught by a "Ride Along" instructor . You'll probably feel safer on the track at a NASA event than you will driving back home after the event.

Also, you really have to understand that this little Crossfire has some great handling characteristics and some terrific (annoying, in my opinion) ESP / ABS... It almost won't let you F-up... Hell I've had to take most of the computer system out of the car just so I can drive it like the old sportscars I'm used to...

Just participate at a level that makes you feel comfortable for the first event. Nobody is going to rag on you if you run at a slower pace, nobody is going to pat you on the back if you break the land speed record. You're there with an instructor who's sole purpose is to teach you some of the tricks of the trade and get you and your car home in one piece and have a smile on your face.

PS: Just pray to the NASA GODS that you get Miss Annie Tam as your instructor MMZ-TimeLord will understand that statement And we'll explain when we see you at the track.

Last edited by HDDP; 03-10-2007 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Derek,

Thanks for the map update and vote of confidence!

I never felt that the instructors were chatting... I really felt they offered a lot of little tidbits of experience that I would have otherwise missed. Shawn (the guy in my videos) was great as were all the instructors. I can't remember the name of that little lady that I got for my last instructor on Sunday at Buttonwillow, but she was an awesome mentor. She gave me simple pointers and didn't try to interfere with my concentration any more than necessary. She also listened to my questions with attention and gave me straight answers ... no B.S.

Everyone should (if possible) try and get an instructor if this is your first time on a track. For those more experienced, maybe get one the first or second session if you can, but you should be okay going by what Derek says.

Thanks again for the speed pointers... you can't tell from the video how fast those guys are really going sometimes (even with the telemetry, I was too busy watching the road).

On a brighter note... I got my brand new spankin R-4 compound pads today and race brake fluid! YAY!
I didn't mean that the instructors were TOO chatty, perhaps it's just that I can't concentrate when someone is in my car and talking to me... It's easier for me to learn the correct line and speeds by just following an instructor.

Now the female instructor you were talking about at Buttonwillow is Annie Tam... I don't care if she can drive, she's a little hottie... But unfortunately, she drive like a bat out of hell and beats the crap out of me in her little Nissan... Remember her statement to you ?
"Use the whole track, you paid for it"

Anyway, those corner entry speed numbers on the map are from a DATA system I borrowed from a friend of mine when I ran the track last year. They are an averaging of my speeds during my fastest event during that day. If you compare them to the RUF Porsche video speeds from that youtube video I linked, they are about 15-20mph slower on every corner and about 30 mph slower on the banked oval. But still, those were the best (safest / comfortable) speeds I got entering each of the corners.

I think if I pushed any harder with my car at the time, it would have ended-up in the weeds... My car would not hit more than 125 on the front oval before I had to lift for turn 1... Your SRT6, should get another 15-20 mph on that part of the track because of the SC.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:17 AM

A hottie she is... and a dang good instructor to boot.

When I get out there I'll be able to get the feel for the track... But I'm guessing that I won't hit those speeds before the last session of the day Saturday.

I was telling a friend of mine that my Crossfire is electronically limited to 158 mph... we'll see if I chicken out before the car does on that front straight.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:06 PM

just got this email.

Dear participant,

You are entered for HPDE1 at Cal Speedway for Saturday Only. I am asking for volunteers to move to Sunday due to the number if instructors we have available. Sunday will be the same format but there will be less cars on track and we will have more instructors to assign students. Thus, we are asking for your cooperation so we can provide a better learning experience. To thank you for your cooperation, we will extend a $50.00 credit to a future NASA SoCal event. So, if you are willing to move to Sunday please email rflaherty@drivenasa.com and let us know you are willing to move to Sunday. Please reply by Monday March 12th at 9 AM. If we do not hear from you by then we will assume that you will not change days.

Regards,

Ryan Flaherty
Regional Director

sort of tempting, but i think only derek will be there, i would rather run with all the crossfirer's. any one else going to be there sunday? if not i'll tell them no.
Any word on what you guys have decided yet ? Saturday or Sunday ?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:21 PM

i think sunday, sound good to you srt-6. its really no inconvenience for me, i live 20 minutes from the track.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:04 AM
Forum Regular

i think sunday, sound good to you srt-6. its really no inconvenience for me, i live 20 minutes from the track.
sunday is fine. hopefully, sunday now doesn't get too crowded if a lot of people switch over.

i'll be up for a few more hours to see if you get this message prior to replying back to NASA.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:39 AM

i sent them an email switching. haven't heard back, but the $50 bucks i'm getting off for the next race makes it worth it. your even closer to the track than me! its in your backyard, lucky guy.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:48 AM
Forum Regular

i sent them an email switching. haven't heard back, but the $50 bucks i'm getting off for the next race makes it worth it. your even closer to the track than me! its in your backyard, lucky guy.
okay, i've replied back to nasa to switch to sunday...

now with that $50 saved, you have no reason not to show up on the next one. ;-)

Old 03-12-2007, 03:10 AM

Cool beans guys... see you Sunday... Any of the Crossfires coming to cheer us on are welcome to come both days... no extra charge... AND you can have more drinks and snacks that way!

Old 03-12-2007, 06:31 AM

Cool by me, see you then... Just don't expect Mr. Charming on Sunday morning though. I have 5 TT events on Friday and four on Saturday. By Sunday I'll be Mr. Sleepy / Grumpy

COFFEEE !!! RED BULLL !!! AMPHETAMINES !!!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Forum Regular

x'ed let me know if you got an email confirmation from NASA. I'm looking out for it too. Would suck if we showed up sunday to find out we never got switched.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Forum Regular

I've got my confirmation for sunday.

--------------------------------------

Great, we will see you on Sunday!

Best regards,

Evyan M. Ruiz
National Auto Sport Association
www.drivenasa.com

Quick Reply: Crossfire Cal Speedway Schedule