Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Launching a 6-speed at the drags

Old 04-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launching a 6-speed at the drags

Howdy all,

Got a new 2006 six-speed base coupe and will be going to the strip once it gets warmer to do some baseline runs.

What's the best way to launch this thing ? Traction control on or off ?
Rev up to peak torque (maybe 3,500 - 3,800) and "dump" the clutch ?
Lower revs, "feather" or slightly slip the clutch and just drive it out of the hole ?

I know this little car is not really made for drag racing but I'm only about five miles from the track so it serves as my "poor man's dyno".

Thanks,

Slim

Old 04-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Default Re: Launching a 6-speed at the drags

Hey Slim,

I'm in Lexington and plan on going to my local strip a week from tomorrow. Never been with my Limited either because I bought it at Thanksgiving. I don't find these things easy to shift so it will be interesting to see how my times are.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Forum Regular
Default "poor man's dyno"

Hey Y'all !

What is the best way to launch these 6-speeds ?

Slim

Old 04-14-2007, 05:50 PM

Just feather it out. Launch at about 2,200 - 2,500. And pray the traction control doesn't kick in.

The T/C will still engage regardless if it is on or off. But run with it off.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks Bullseye,

I would have guessed as much. Any high RPM launches will probably trigger the traction control and make the 60 foot time inconsistent from one run to the next.

I'm trying to determine net performance gains before-after mods so if I can get consistent launches I can plug e.t./MPH/vehicle weight into the "Horsepower Calculator" at www.dragtimes.com and see how I'm doing.

Gonna start working on my launches once this rain stops. In the meantime, I'm glad this thing has traction control/ESP/ABS etc. There aren't too many 94 inch wheelbase rear wheel drive sporty cars that are as reassuring or surefooted in bad weather!

Happy Trails,

Slim

Old 04-14-2007, 09:21 PM

CS,
having been a drag racer since the '70's, i have an idea what it takes to launch a car. There are 2 ways to launch a manual tranny car at the track. One for the BEST time possible (which is hell on the car), or 2, for not quite as good a time (but consistent and the car will still get you home).
With the amount of traction available on a crossfire, a 3,500 - 3,800 rpm clutch drop will yield the best times, providing the tires are warmed up. That will also tear the crap out of your driveline (especially the diff, not a strong piece to start with). I would tach up to 1,500 - 1,800 rpm and do a slight feather than mat it and do normal lift throttle shifts. Once you get the feel of the car you can be consistent. My wife and i both raced a modified VW GTi 5 speed and were hitting ET's within a few hundredths on each run. It takes a few runs to get the feel for the car.
I cheat now though, i only drag race automatics...LOL.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Blackbelt
CS,
having been a drag racer since the '70's, i have an idea what it takes to launch a car. There are 2 ways to launch a manual tranny car at the track. One for the BEST time possible (which is hell on the car), or 2, for not quite as good a time (but consistent and the car will still get you home).
With the amount of traction available on a crossfire, a 3,500 - 3,800 rpm clutch drop will yield the best times, providing the tires are warmed up. That will also tear the crap out of your driveline (especially the diff, not a strong piece to start with). I would tach up to 1,500 - 1,800 rpm and do a slight feather than mat it and do normal lift throttle shifts. Once you get the feel of the car you can be consistent. My wife and i both raced a modified VW GTi 5 speed and were hitting ET's within a few hundredths on each run. It takes a few runs to get the feel for the car.
I cheat now though, i only drag race automatics...LOL.
What I highlighted would be a waste of time. You will get instant throttle cut. Dumping on these cars = no where.

And forget about power-shifting, it is next to impossible with this car. Out of the 500+ drag runs and dozen or so cars that I have run. I find the XF was the most difficult to run. Leaving at idle should net you 15.2's.
Also, DO NOT warm up your street tires. It is a waste of rubber. Just do a quick spin to get rocks off and that is it.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bullseye
What I highlighted would be a waste of time. You will get instant throttle cut. Dumping on these cars = no where.

And forget about power-shifting, it is next to impossible with this car. Out of the 500+ drag runs and dozen or so cars that I have run. I find the XF was the most difficult to run. Leaving at idle should net you 15.2's.
Also, DO NOT warm up your street tires. It is a waste of rubber. Just do a quick spin to get rocks off and that is it.
Bullseye:
I have launched manuals that way...turning the traction control off prevents any such intervention. However i have never tried to launch a Crossfire in that manner. Are you saying that the traction control, even when turned off, will intervene?
I should have been a bit more descriptive about what i meant about "warming up the tires". You are correct.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Blackbelt, What Bullseye said is true, you can never turn the traction control completely off just by flipping the switch. I think you need to remove a couple of fuses to disable it completely, but then you lose your "anti-lock" brakes I believe.
It usually cuts in just when you need the power the most, and can be very embarrassing at times. Of course ya shouldn't be drag racing on the street either, but it's a little annoying when "Big Brother" steps in and shuts you down.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Forum Regular

Yes the "Electronic Nanny" does spoil the fun on some times.

But it's also kept me out of the ditch in bad weather a couple of times so it's still nice to have.

Getting sideways looks cool but I really don't want to give any more business to the local body shop than I already have.

Slim

Old 04-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Slim
Howdy all,

Got a new 2006 six-speed base coupe and will be going to the strip once it gets warmer to do some baseline runs.

What's the best way to launch this thing ? Traction control on or off ?
Rev up to peak torque (maybe 3,500 - 3,800) and "dump" the clutch ?
Lower revs, "feather" or slightly slip the clutch and just drive it out of the hole ?

I know this little car is not really made for drag racing but I'm only about five miles from the track so it serves as my "poor man's dyno".

Thanks,

Slim
There is a little black box next to the ECU, you should see about 4 hot leads coming out of it, I believe you need to remove the center hot lead, which completely disables the TC, ABS and Stability Control systems. You can now drive like a madman. The one thing is, that I'm not sure it disables the clutch safety thingy? So you may not be able to drop the clutch without having the car interfere and hold line pressure to the clutch line.? You'll have to find that out on your own.

Last edited by Maxwell; 04-15-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Blackbelt, What Bullseye said is true, you can never turn the traction control completely off just by flipping the switch. I think you need to remove a couple of fuses to disable it completely, but then you lose your "anti-lock" brakes I believe.
It usually cuts in just when you need the power the most, and can be very embarrassing at times. Of course ya shouldn't be drag racing on the street either, but it's a little annoying when "Big Brother" steps in and shuts you down.
I didn't know that. My PT Cruiser had traction control, but when i shut it off, it was OFF. Same with the Grand Am rental car i raced. I can see why Bullseye said that the Crossfire is so hard to launch, sometimes some wheel spin can be helpful...Oh well, i don't have to worry about wheel spin off the line, i have an automatic...LOL.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:35 AM
Forum Regular

bullseye has got it pretty much down, i rev up to 1,800 - 2,500 rpm, but once i launch i don't feather it i just drop the hammer, and tc never kicks in.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this may sound like I'm spliting hairs, but when you turn off your traction control it is 100% off. However your ESP (Electronic Stability Program) is still activated. You can never turn off ESP completely. This was the reason for the all the dyno problems.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:23 AM

What about starting out in 2nd gear? The car has the torque for it.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fino
I know this may sound like I'm spliting hairs, but when you turn off your traction control it is 100% off. However your ESP (Electronic Stability Program) is still activated. You can never turn off ESP completely. This was the reason for the all the dyno problems.
Splitting hairs.

Car lacks the power to start in 2nd... Your 0-60 would jump to the high 8's.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by jp2005
bullseye has got it pretty much down, i rev up to 1,800 - 2,500 rpm, but once i launch i don't feather it i just drop the hammer, and tc never kicks in.
you ran a 14.6, that's good. are you stock?

Old 04-19-2007, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by x'ed
you ran a 14.6, that's good. are you stock?
has gutted cats, k&n's and upgraded mufflers forget which.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:34 AM

gutted cats must add some decent hp then.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:36 AM
Wink Re: Launching a 6-speed at the drags

Hey out there -
Just took delivery of my '06 base coupe this past tuesday, and I'll admit to being a little nervous about buying a car over the net and having it delivered to CA, but - somehow it all came together. Now that we've been driving the car for a few days, we are really impressed with most aspects of the car. We were really surprised by the exhaust note, which sounds a little like a 70's era british sports car (think TR-6), especially when you get on it a little bit. You can really toss this thing around, and she holds a line like few cars I've driven in 36 years of lead footing around the countryside. When my wife and I were courting back in the mid 70's, we drove around in a little MGB, and we're reliving those carefree years now in our little Xfire! The fact that economics killed this car only work to our advantage in years to come-if I had the funds available, I'd buy another one and stick it in a garage for a few years, but being able to buy food is good too. Hope you're all enjoying this little coupe as much as the Mrs. and I are - see y'all down the road!

Quick Reply: Launching a 6-speed at the drags