Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Went to the drag strip last night

Old 04-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Went to the drag strip last night

I finally got a chance to use my Hoosiers at open ricer track night last night. I decided to go an hour early (8 pm) as usual so my car can cool off before the first run. I didn't make my first pass until 10:30 pm and my second (and last) pass was at 12:00 am with an ambient temperature of 75*.

My first pass I lined up against a new model GTO; who didn't know how to stage, and I ended up pushing out of the lights because the car didn't want to stay still for the entire minute I waited for that idiot to stage. The linesman eventually just put his foot down in front of the beam to "stage" him. After I backed up and put it in drive (forgot to put in 1st) I only got to launch at 1,400 rpms and ran a 12.9 @ 109.6 with a 1.98 60' against the GTSLOWs 13.7 @ 104.5 with 2.0 60'.

The second pass I said the hell with it and tried launching under full lock up and also used the e-brake to help hold the car in place. I was lined up with an early 90's Honduh POS and pulled of a 12.9 @ 108.4 with a personal best 1.91 60' to his 28.7 @ 80.5 with a 13.2 60'. LMFAO

I was pretty bummed that I couldn't get more passes; or any decent times. It sucks to go from 12.8 @109 with 2.0 60' on stock conti's in 50* weather to then run 12.9 @ 109 with 1.9 60' on Hoosier DRs in 75* weather. I HATE the elevation and temps here in vegas when it comes to racing. Ohh well, I'll try again with a bunch more mods on the 18th of this month.

Ohh I almost forgot the best part of the entire night. When I was sitting in line with the 400 other cars (most high school kids with riced out POS cars) I overheard a conversation by a group of about 7 people standing near the side of my car as I was in it. Apparently my car is the new "Saturn Skyline" and it's "turbocharged". LMFAO These guys just kept talking about what my car was and what it had in it and never once bothered to ask me to verify. Then when I moved up and they could see the back of the car I overheard "ohh that's the new supercharged Cadillac"...I about died laughing at their ignorance and inability to read the CHRYSLER badge on hatch.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Went to the drag strip last night

I love how you call this guy an idiot. How great were you the first time you lined up?
Which idiot was it that took off in the wrong gear?
The stock tires are easily superior to the ability of the Driver. Since when were 13 second cars needing Drag tires. The CAR doesn't need to get a grip I think the DRIVER does.
My main source of study was Physics my hobby for 37 years has been performance automobiles. I can't wait for the comebacks from forum "experts" telling me I don't know what I am talking about. I welcome the come backs.
If I were able to do a 20 minute walk around you vehicle I would bet you ANY amount of money I could reduce your ET by as much as your car could EVER gain by spending money on Drag radials without spending a single penny.
If you ever want to ASK a question rather than STATE your responces as if they are fact please feel free.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Montana Crossfire
I love how you call this guy an idiot. How great were you the first time you lined up?
The stock tires are easily superior to the ability of the Driver. Since when were 13 second cars needing Drag tires. The CAR doesn't need to get a grip I think the DRIVER does.
My main source of study was Physics my hobby for 37 years has been performance automobiles. I can't wait for the comebacks from forum "experts" telling me I don't know what I am talking about. I welcome the come backs.
If I were able to do a 20 minute walk around you vehicle I would bet you ANY amount of money I could reduce your ET by as much as your car could EVER gain by spending money on Drag radials without spending a single penny.
If you ever want to ASK a question rather than STATE your responces as if they are fact please feel free.
vicious response

Old 04-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Forum Regular

Montana,

Have you ever responded to a thread wthout an argument? You seem to cut down this forum and its members quite a bit. I guess you are the genius and everyone else is dumber than a rock.

Steve

Old 04-05-2008, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by SRT-6 Steve
Montana,

Have you ever responded to a thread wthout an argument? You seem to cut down this forum and its members quite a bit. I guess you are the genius and everyone else is dumber than a rock.

Steve
It's those dirt roads up in Montana and the bowling ball size rocks as well as all the detours to avoid Ted Turner's land. Which explains the need for the physics knowledge.

PS I would like my SRT to go faster for no money out of pocket and would welcome your suggestions.

Last edited by RMADERMAN; 04-05-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:33 PM

I'm sorry................were you the IDIOT in the GTO? If so then please go and sit in the stands and watch how people line up and stage before attempting to race again. You also might want to take a look around your own car if all you can run is 13's in it. Maybe someday if you have a car with as much power as I will be at by the end of the month you might reconsider spending a measly $500 on drag radials and rims to hook up instead of spinning like crazy and fishtailing into the wall.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Nice runs!

I don't know what the other guys problem is?
I'd rather by a set of drag radials or score another free set of ET Street DOT slicks then roast the crap out of the stock tires just to get them to stick. My first pass was on stock tires and I was fishtailing all over the place on a path towards the wall. Yes you can use the throttle to control it, but with sticky tires you can get maximum performance. The Contis are made for long life not racing, so don't bash him for making his car perform better.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:03 PM

We had the same air here last night in AZ. Sorry but you just missed racing season when the cool 50 degree weather dissapeared. High 12's are good times for our weather. Just subtract a half second and figure that's what you'll run in the winter.

Montana,
I'm willing to go mod for mod heads up with you. I'll bring my DR's and you with stocks. We can do a best out of 3 to make it fair. Just have to come to AZ to prove your theory. I limit my mileage to 1/4 mile increments.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
12.9 @ 109.6 with a 1.98 60'

12.9 @ 108.4 with a personal best 1.91 60'
You can do better than that Moparrbust!! I demand you get back on the line and lose a few tenths!!

Old 04-06-2008, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by cruzinquick

Montana,
I'm willing to go mod for mod heads up with you. I'll bring my DR's and you with stocks. We can do a best out of 3 to make it fair. Just have to come to AZ to prove your theory. I limit my mileage to 1/4 mile increments.
hell yeah! Settle it on the track.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:46 AM

I put my street tire's back on my car yesterday, the Hoosier DR's were still on it from the Indy SRT event that got cancelled a few weeks ago. I'm planning on leaving them on the car when I go to the mid-west event at US 41 on the 12th and making a couple runs on the street (PS2's) tire's, then slapping on the DR's to see what kind of difference I get at the 60' mark.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:56 AM

Do you two know each other? That was a pretty nasty response. I agree with you on letting up on the guy who didn't know how to stage (might have been his first time and he was nervous- perfectly understandible), but your whole response seemed like a personal attack. We are all on the same team here.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:47 AM

Before we go to any further bashing my home state let me appologise for the negativety.
I have been far to negitive on my responces on this forum.
It is entirely because I hear the same thing from all of its members, and that is spend money to go faster. With todays engines it is sometime needed but if one of you would have been the first to reprogram an ECU you could have done it for free. All I have asked is for you to think out side the bubble. Being an individual is what seperated the greats from the commans.
I will ask for your help sometime, and I hope you will offer it, just as I would help anyone of you.
Sorry I have given the impression I only want to argue.
As for running "Mod for Mod" on the strip I am affraid I wont do that, but the last weekend of May there is an event at a 2 1/2 mile road course up here I would love to match any of you on.
Once again Please accept my appologies.
Mike

Old 04-06-2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
We had the same air here last night in AZ. Sorry but you just missed racing season when the cool 50 degree weather dissapeared. High 12's are good times for our weather. Just subtract a half second and figure that's what you'll run in the winter.

I know about missing the perfect weather but I was hoping to get off the line fast enough to compensate a little. I just installed a few new goodies yesterday and hope to have everything else in by the 18th. Worst case scenario I'll have to run low to mid 12's until it cools down again and then go for 11's.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

NO Montana, don't get my Blk car on dirt...no, no....although it would be nice to get back on a drag strip again...haven't done that since the '70's...and, yes we are on the same side here...I am looking at all the possibilities...ecu??? Pulley???? Needswings CAI??? In the end, we will go faster...Doc

Old 04-06-2008, 09:52 AM

Nor would I, I am speaking a GT track we have here in Montana Open racing about twice per year.
Only $25.00 one day $35.00 for entire race weekend great times a one mile straight lets you know what your cars can really due. I've only been 155mph Hope to do better soon.
Mike

Old 04-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Forum Regular

Before we go to any further bashing my home state let me appologise for the negativety.
It is entirely because I hear the same thing from all of its members, and that is spend money to go faster. With todays engines it is sometime needed but if one of you would have been the first to reprogram an ECU you could have done it for free. All I have asked is for you to think out side the bubble. Being an individual is what seperated the greats from the commans.
I will ask for your help sometime, and I hope you will offer it, just as I would help anyone of you.
As for running "Mod for Mod" on the strip I am affraid I wont do that, but the last weekend of May there is an event at a 2 1/2 mile road course up here I would love to match any of you on.
Mike

You wrote:

"If I were able to do a 20 minute walk around you vehicle I would bet you ANY amount of money I could reduce your ET by as much as your car could EVER gain by spending money on Drag radials without spending a single penny."

Actually, instead of criticizing the folks that are not as knowledgeable as you in terms of improving the performance for "free", why not put that energy to good use and provide a step by step guide or useful information as to how. Or would we have to pay you for that information?

Old 04-06-2008, 02:39 PM

Montana,
I don't do road courses, but they do have an exotic car club here that rents out Phoenix International Raceway a couple of times a year. Different setup with shocks, brakes, tires, sway bars, etc.. I wouldn't mind trying someones 911 one of those times. I am interested in the free ECU tune though. Let me know what you got in mind.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 AM

Mike

It seems like they don't teach grammar or spelling to physics geniuses.

"Being an individual is what seperated the greats from the commans."

HUH????

That would be "commoners"

"Before we go to any further bashing"

HUH???

That would be "before we go any further"

"I have been far to negitive on my responces on this forum"

That would be "too negative" and "with my responses"

There are about six or seven more, but I am bored now. But you are an idiot. And SOMETIMES IS PLURAL, IT'S NOT "SOMETIME". Jack ***, stop ripping people, your probably some 17 year old punk with nothing better to do. But I have an idea, go read a book before you start bashing members on this forum.

Last edited by x'ed; 04-09-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM

If your speeking to me go #$@& yourself This was meant as an appology and you can't seem to let sleeping dogs ... Being the master mind you are I am sure you know the rest.
I am not 17 I am 51 and I wish you had the guts to get in my face like this in person you little punk leave me alone. you got that?

Quick Reply: Went to the drag strip last night