Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Rmr Midnight Drags!!!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rmr Midnight Drags!!!

well guys midnight drags finally opened up for the season!!! I'm so excited, I ran my car last night, lets just say Utah SUCKS for drag racing, my first run I raced a newer golf GTI, even though I smoked him here are my times, my R/T was .456, 60 foot 2.475s, 1/8 mile was 10.487s, and my 1/4 mile was 16.196 at 85.51mph, the GTI's 1/4 mile was 16.642@85.25. here at 4000ft everyone was kinda slow, new corvette's were in the mid to low 14's and sti's were low 15's. I was like WTF????

Old 05-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rmr Midnight Drags!!!

Heres a cool way to see what you would run at some of the other tracks.

go to racefan.com and search for the tracks section. I think it's forum member distantpulse that runs at ATCO raceway. Get the track elevation. Then go to weather.com or something similar. You can go right down to the time of day and get the humidity, pressure, and temperature. Then hit modulardepot.com and click resources. It has all the different calculators, but the sea level calculator works best. I bet you might be a decent 14 sec at his track. The elevation is only 33 ft. On some of those tracks the calculators will actually add time to their et's because of the negative DA. sorry for the new terms if your not familiar with them, but it will level the playing field to see what you really are running.
Cruzinquick

Old 05-04-2008, 11:12 AM

wow, this is some good info thanks a bunch!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 AM

it says at sea level I would run a 15.1

Old 05-04-2008, 11:26 AM

actually I put in the exact numbers and it came out 14.99

Old 05-04-2008, 04:08 PM

No problem. You can use the DA calculators to plan your track day and see when is the best time to run.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

STI at 15 sec, what's the point of the turbo with times like that.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:58 PM

its a big difference at this alltitude I guess, I saw vette's running mid 14's

Old 05-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Forum Regular

i must have typed somthing wrong with mine cus i ran a 15.379 at 91.9 mph! elevation 3075, temp 58* F, humidity 7% and pressure 27.35. my results came out to 13.92 corrected at 100.63mph. please tell me im wrong!!!

Old 05-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Forum Regular

i bought this car pretty much as is. and only added a tvt intake. funny thing ive beat an rx8, g35 coupe, gti, ss cobalt and stuck with a bunch of other cars. im starting to think that the previous owner might have purchased an ecu tune or somthing? am i just crazy? or are these cars pretty easy to beat?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 PM

If your in a srt6, there is still more left. If your in a N/A crossfire those are great times. The elevation, temps, humidity have alot to do with your times. Especially when the other track is 3000' lower. Some of these tracks will actually correct to a slower time. Your temps were perfect, and the pressure was really low. Usually mine is around 30 or a high 29, and humidity even when there is almost none is still aroudn 15%, so you had great conditions, just horrible elevation.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Forum Regular

the lower pressure made the most dramatic difference. when i upped the pressure i saw a smaller difference in quarter mile time. so the higher the pressure the better the condition? i messed with all the fields being i didnt believe the results and im still skeptical of the results. but when i altered the pressure it made the biggest difference. the pressure i entered was the absolute baro which was listed on my time slip. this is the same as pressure right? i am a NA 6spd.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newCrossfire
the lower pressure made the most dramatic difference. when i upped the pressure i saw a smaller difference in quarter mile time. so the higher the pressure the better the condition? i messed with all the fields being i didnt believe the results and im still skeptical of the results. but when i altered the pressure it made the biggest difference. the pressure i entered was the absolute baro which was listed on my time slip. this is the same as pressure right? i am a NA 6spd.

God these newbs are annoying, those calculators aren't exact or you entered something wrong. Your car is good for a 14.8 if you can REALLY REALLY driver it, this is one of the more difficult rwd cars to launch due to it's huge tires and lack of power.

And no, you did not beat a g35 coupe, they have 280+ horsepower, up to 310 or so, depending on the year, and they only weigh a few hundred more than crossfires. People have taken them to 13.7ish or so stock, crossfires typically run 15 flat, even with people that drive well. I don't think you understand the difference between 300hp and 215hp (actually 240whp to 175whp), it's an entirely different animal. And don't say "It was an auto, so thats why" autos are just as fast as manuals these days, and more often than not faster.

I believe the rx8, because they have no ***** and zero torque, the gti is somewhat beievable, the ss is less believable, the g35 is not believable at all, unless he wasn't racing you or missed a shift or whatever other newbish exucses pop up. Be like firedup29 and come clean.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 PM

you don't know what your talking about at all, I'll take pics of the time slips if you want a GTI is slow, I could have launched horribly and beat him, and auto's are always going to be slower than the manual versions because you have to make the car move somehow and a clutch is a much more efficient way than a torque converter, PERIOD! Why go through that much trouble to talk s*** I know there is no way he beat a G35 coupe but I don't call him out on it and talk crap, if someone wants to lie, let them.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:00 PM

here is the video of me vs the GTI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOacSzEOfwQ

Old 05-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Forum Regular

i must have a really fast na then cus i didnt beat him by a fluke. we went from a 30 role and then from a stop! both times i wound up 2 cars out in front. from a role he got me through the intersection because the damn tc but before we even got all the way through the intersection i was already nosing ahead and it was a 6 spd! and i killed the rx8, ss was about a car back i couldnt really see him but my girlfriend was askin what the sound was from behind us (supercharger). You no i even stuck with an srt4 till 3rd and then i let out.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:13 PM

the coupe driver didn't know how to drive, I have a friend that I raced in his z24 cavalier that should have spanked my cougar, but he didn't know how to drive so I beat him pretty bad

Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by newCrossfire
Usually the higher the elevation the slower the times. The pressure in my part of az doesn't vary that much usually never below high 29's. Even if you are off by .01 it will make a difference. I try to write down what times I actually ran, and hit accuweather.com and see what the weather details were at that time. I posted my fastest times corrected to Chi-Town's track on a post some time back. It was very interesting to see how close I was if I had ran at his track under the same conditions. Anytime someone posts a time, I usually like to find out what track and the time they ran. Then I can pretty much run the numbers. One of these months I'm going to pick the best track at sea level that is close enough to pack up and get there.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:11 PM

X-ed quoted", And no, you did not beat a g35 coupe, they have 280+ horsepower, up to 310 or so, depending on the year, and they only weigh a few hundred more than crossfires. "

Ive raced a G35 with exhaust and beat his ***. Don't try and tell me I full of it, or he wasn't racing. Have you raced a G35...Until you have then don't say anything. An no our cars arnt hard to launch, its all on how you feather the clutch.

Crossfires weight 3010 lbs

G35s weight is 3505 lbs

Are you completely unaware how much weight affects your cars drag times....?????

Here the run down on the 05 crossfire...
Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3010 pounds and HP of 215 is 14.04 seconds and MPH of 95.44 MPH.

Heres the run down on an 06 G35...
Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3505 pounds and HP of 280 is 13.52 seconds and MPH of 99.07 MPH.

They arn't that far apart, and the g35 autos are a piece.

Last edited by caughtNthexfire06; 05-08-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That GTI was "newer" but it wasn't the new MK5. It was the older MK4. 180hp and a curb weight near the Crossfire's. You should have beat him, especially with rwd. The new MK5s with 200hp and much more torque run about equal with a Crossfire in the 1/4. Although at higher elevations, turbo charged motors lose less power than n/a motors. So, who knows what the deal was.

As far as beating an RX-8 or a G35, I believe you. There are just too many variables to take into consideration. The RX-8 is limited by its lack of torque, but if you catch an RX-8 already rolling and in the heart of its powerband, it can hang with/or take a Crossfire.

It's true that a lot of the automatic cars are faster these days than the manuals. The car magazines prove this on a regular basis. Yes, a clutch will usually give you a quicker launch than powerbraking, but the speed with which modern 6 and 7 speed automatics shift often make up the difference in the 1/4 mile where 3 or 4 shifts are necessary.

AND sometimes automatics, no matter how good they are, fail to respond by downshifting or more commonly by shifting too early, even under hard acceleration. This is a common complaint in many of the new car reviews. If you've got a G35 with an automatic that doesn't do exactly what it's supposed to, a manual Xfire could and would beat it.

Do you know how many times the car magazines have to run the cars they test 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile to get their best runs? Sometimes 10-20 times and they experiment using every shifting technique (for manuals and automatics) and every launch technique. The differences in times are huge depending on technique. It's safe to say that most of us, no matter how bad *** we think we are, don't get the best results unless we have practiced a hell of a lot.

I say it's enough knowing that your Crossfire looked a lot better going down the track than that GTI

Quick Reply: Rmr Midnight Drags!!!