Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Ugh. Lots of new parts, and I go slower.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ugh. Lots of new parts, and I go slower.

Originally Posted by tom2112
OK folks, I put it off and put it off, but I finally decided to remove my intake manifolds and put the stock ones back on - without the spacers as well. I was really dreading doing it, but it turned out to be really easy. I guess it wasn't the task of doing it that I was dreading, it was kinda like admitting defeat.

As I removed the manis and the spacers, I think I found the problem!

Improper Installation??
So much for cheap help You didn't find any tools in there when you opened it back up did you? I'm glad it looks like you finally found the problem, Sorry you had to go thru all the torment. Hope it solves all your troubles

Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickZ
Improper Installation??
So much for cheap help You didn't find any tools in there when you opened it back up did you? I'm glad it looks like you finally found the problem, Sorry you had to go thru all the torment. Hope it solves all your troubles
Don't forget, Rick, that I had to take them off after you helped me and reinstall them. I broke some of the bolts torquing them down, and had to re-do the install myself with a new set of gaskets. So if there's anyone to blame, it's me. I certainly appreciate the help. I couldn't have done it myself the first time!

So when is the Northeast Ohio chapter of the Crossfire forum getting together again? I haven't seen you guys in months!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 AM
She can ride with me ;)

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem
I had a feeling it was the gaskets. Get needswings "leakproof gaskets" he said the stock gaskets leak pretty much anything over normal boost.
Well, Mayhem, I would {edit:} NOT {:edit} entirely blame the gaskets. There's plenty of problems to spread around. First the inexperienced installer (me) was probably a big part of it. Then the spacers, gaskets, head, and manifolds don't all match up. Since the manifolds match the head, you can't blame either of them. So I'm leaning toward the spacers. I'll slide them all together off the engine and see how they line up and take a few pics.

Speaking of gaskets:
Does anyone know of a good source/material to use in this high temp boosted environment? I'm tempted to buy a sheet and cut my own.

Last edited by tom2112; 06-23-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you hopefully found your issue Tom. I knew it was a problem in the general engine area, and boy was i right.

Now you have to make it back over for the next EC track day. I think they are debating late July.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, Mayhem, I would entirely blame the gaskets. There's plenty of problems to spread around. First the inexperienced installer (me) was probably a big part of it. Then the spacers, gaskets, head, and manifolds don't all match up. Since the manifolds match the head, you can't blame either of them. So I'm leaning toward the spacers. I'll slide them all together off the engine and see how they line up and take a few pics.

Speaking of gaskets:
Does anyone know of a good source/material to use in this high temp boosted environment? I'm tempted to buy a sheet and cut my own.
The needswings ones you used before create a perfect seal. Just without the spacers. Don't be so hard on yourself, how else is everyone going to learn what not to do.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

So when are we gonna see some "new" times???

Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Originally Posted by tighed1
So when are we gonna see some "new" times???
Perhaps as soon as tomorrow. I think I'll head to Thompson Raceway for Grudge Night after work tomorrow. I'm going to run the stock manis and she how she runs. I drove it to work today, and then went cruising for an hour or two tonight. No check engine lights. (Hooray!)

Then I'll try to get the NW manis back on the car without the spacers and run at Quaker City Raceway over the weekend. We'll see if I can fit it all in.

Well, Mayhem, I would entirely blame the gaskets.
Ooops! Bad typo there! I meant to say that "I would NOT entirely blame the gaskets."

Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Forum Regular

Cool will be nice to see a comparison with stock vs with modified manifolds, its tuned for the modified but will be nice to see none the less. Ya i sort of meant the spacers were the culprit but i put gaskets... damn words. And i didn't mean that the gaskets or spacers were bad just after you installed them they were . "I kid I kid"

Old 06-24-2009, 10:32 AM
She can ride with me ;)

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem
And i didn't mean that the gaskets or spacers were bad just after you installed them they were . "I kid I kid"
You may not be too far off the mark, Mayhem. Until last year the only work I'd done on cars were oil changes air filter and brake replacements.

But I am gonna have to blame the spacers. I did a dry run assembly of the Code3 spacers, NW gaskets and NW manis last night. When you stick your finger into one of the holes, you can feel that the spacer is about 2 mm off on the inner side of the mani. I mean that the spacer is restricting the hole by about 2 mm.

Not only is the restriction a bad thing, but the wall of the spacer is only so wide. So basically by being off, the spacer is only seating about half the width that it should on the inner side of the mani. Unfortunately, you can't see the restriction because the spacer covers it up. You don't know its there unless you feel around the inside.

When I take the stock manis off, I will check the fitment of the spacers against the head. I'll bet the fit is the same.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I was really hoping it was the spacer being deformed and I'm glad that turned out to be the problem. I wouldn't reuse them. Just use the cork gasket for now and get some new spacers if you really feel the need for them. Oh, and I'm looking forward to your new personal best times.

Les

Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Well, here's a quick update from my runs at the track tonight:

I ran two 12.76 @ 109.8 and 110.7 with 1.88 and 1.86 60' times.
So I posted 12.76 for my bracket time, and it cooled off a bit.
Then I ran a 12.63 (I don't remember the mph or the 60' time, and I left the slip in the car). I also red lighted pretty badly (-0.3 something!!!) So if you're gonna red light, you may as well break out too!

Anyway, it was kind of hot at the track. 82 degrees and 56% humidity with 29.87 b. pressure, giving me a DA of 3310' for my first two runs, and a DA of 2585 for my last run.

I'll post more when I get that other slip out of the car.

I logged all three runs, and the strange thing to me is that the maximum MAP reading I got on any of the runs was 31.32 (on the first run), which is a boost of 16.6 psi. Does that seem right to everyone? I was thinking I should at least break 17 psi. Oh well. I'm planning to put the NW manis back on tomorrow and race again on Friday or Saturday.

RickZ came out to the track to watch me race. He was nice enough to snap some pics. Hopefully he'll post them or send them over. I did some nice burn outs.

More later in the saga of "As the Supercharger Turns"!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 PM

Not to steal your thread Tom, but I met up with Tom at Thompson tonight, I am sure he will post his slips but I got home before he did so I'm spilling the beans. two 12.76's and a 12.63. unfortunatly the 12.63 came with a little red light at the bottom of the tree.. working on his reaction time.
I took a few pictures of Tom in action, it is funny to watch peoples reactions and here the comments when they see the dial in on his windshield.
Thanks Tom it was fun watching you run, sorry the redlight picture didn't turn out

Well, I guess I didn't beat you home by much did I? As soon as I posted this I see you already beat me to the punch.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_2358.JPG (252.0 KB, 24 views)
100_2359.JPG (802.6 KB, 18 views)
100_2362.JPG (568.4 KB, 21 views)
100_2363.JPG (431.6 KB, 18 views)
100_2365.JPG (539.2 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by RickZ; 06-25-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:19 PM
She can ride with me ;)

That last pic is my favorite. She was a real cutie.

Thanks for posting those, Rick. In fact, I think I beat you home. My GPS said it was gonna take about 1 hour 6 minutes, but I made it in 45 min. Something tells me that my GPS is a little off...

Old 06-25-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks for posting those, Rick. In fact, I think I beat you home. My GPS said it was gonna take about 1 hour 6 minutes, but I made it in 45 min. Something tells me that my GPS is a little off...

...Or your speedometer

...and she is very cute...well at least from my angle... i guess there is a chance she is a butterface, but i would guess that isn't the case.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 504 Likes on 347 Posts

WOW....I don't recall anyone looking like this at US41 on track day in Indiana.

Attached Images
Track Girl.JPG (127.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 PM
She can ride with me ;)

No butterface there, she was even better from the front - a real sweetheart.

But you have to ask RickZ about the other fine lady we saw at the track. I just about spit out my ice cream when she came walking out of the restrooms across from us. She'll go down in Crossfire legend along with the girl from Carlisle 2008 in the rebel flag tank top and bikini.

Last edited by tom2112; 06-25-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
WOW....I don't recall anyone looking like this at US41 on track day in Indiana.
Aw, come on now Gary! You're memory needs some work. Molly was there, and YOU posted pics of her and Doc.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:54 AM

Aw, come on now Gary! You're memory needs some work. Molly was there, and YOU posted pics of her and Doc.
Nice save Tom

Old 06-26-2009, 11:07 AM

No butterface there, she was even better from the front - a real sweetheart.

But you have to ask RickZ about the other fine lady we saw at the track. I just about spit out my ice cream when she came walking out of the restrooms across from us. She'll go down in Crossfire legend along with the girl from Carlisle 2008 in the rebel flag tank top and bikini.
Tom, too bad you can't come to EC open house tomorrow... There will be some eye candy there.

I'll make sure to take pics, though I'm sure Gary and FP will be taking pics too. Hahahaha.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
Tom, too bad you can't come to EC open house tomorrow... There will be some eye candy there.

I'll make sure to take pics, though I'm sure Gary and FP will be taking pics too. Hahahaha.
I think im gonna bring my camera too

Quick Reply: Ugh. Lots of new parts, and I go slower.