Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Wasted day...

Old 03-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wasted day...

Perfect weather today for the opening of Woodburn dragstrip. Sunny, dry and high of 60*. Put the DR's on last night and took off this morning. Got to the track, pulled the grille, poured in some 110 octane race gas to mix with the couple of gallon of 92 in the tank.... perfect... just wait for launch time...

Time to go, pull up and do my burn out, stage and stomp on the gas............. what the heck! I can run faster than this... rpms wont even go to red line..... limp on down the track do manual shifts... CEL on...

CEL is for P0505.. okay, no biggie clear it and check everything. The only thing I see is lots of rubber around the pullies... belt is slipping like crazy.

Try again about 45 minutes later... same thing... look out... idiot on track....

Pack up everything and head home. No power....engine surging as I drive home... AFR gauge shows the ECU is cutting fuel and causing surge.. crap, it looks like my Johnson just quit working. I had no problems going the 40 miles to the track and I sat for 45 mins to an hour once I got there. I'll check it out after the engine cools down good. What a waste of a perfect race day....

Old 03-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Wasted day.......

Check the manifold bolts, I'll bet they backed out. That's the reason for every P0505 I've ever gotten.

Les

Old 03-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeR
Perfect weather today for the opening of Woodburn dragstrip. Sunny, dry and high of 60*. Put the DR's on last night and took off this morning. Got to the track, pulled the grille, poured in some 110 octane race gas to mix with the couple of gallon of 92 in the tank.... perfect... just wait for launch time...

Time to go, pull up and do my burn out, stage and stomp on the gas............. what the heck! I can run faster than this... rpms wont even go to red line..... limp on down the track do manual shifts... CEL on...

CEL is for P0505.. okay, no biggie clear it and check everything. The only thing I see is lots of rubber around the pullies... belt is slipping like crazy.

Try again about 45 minutes later... same thing... look out... idiot on track....

Pack up everything and head home. No power....engine surging as I drive home... AFR gauge shows the ECU is cutting fuel and causing surge.. crap, it looks like my Johnson just quit working. I had no problems going the 40 miles to the track and I sat for 45 mins to an hour once I got there. I'll check it out after the engine cools down good. What a waste of a perfect race day....
Damm Mike. What a waste of time. Hope it's nothing serious. But the belt shavings suggest a pulley ain't doin' what it ought to be.

I wasted mine all day at work, looking outside and wishing I could go home and play with my toys.
now

The crew made the boss work today. Now I'm too tired to do anything.

This working for a living sucks too!

roadster with a stick

Old 03-06-2010, 03:51 PM

Last weekend I had a wasted day. Everytime I hit the gas I lost traction headed for the wall. $50 private track rental down the tubes.

I can't say why you have rubber all over other than the obvious. The P0505 is almost always leaking at the Manifolds, Y or throttle body.

Les

Old 03-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Mike, that P0505 code has something to do with your throttle body. Is this the car you just put the pigtail on that I sent you?

Old 03-06-2010, 04:16 PM

See! I know what I'm talking about.

Les

Old 03-06-2010, 04:25 PM

I just went out and checked the manifolds.... all bolts were loose... torqued back to 95in/lbs and took it for a spin....good power out of the drive but then on the next romp.... nothing again.... no P505 this time.... looks like the classic IC pump failure...

Old 03-06-2010, 04:49 PM

I could be but don't jump to conclusions. Since you have rubber (belt slip sighs) and you didn't have it before, take the belt loose and see if all the pulleys are OK. How are your IAT's? They have to get real hot before the supercharger shuts down. I don't know how hot, but mine have been over 160º with no problems.

Les

Old 03-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i feel your pain!!
thirteendog jhm2k and myself head to franklin tn for cars and coffee this am. run hard on the way over , drool over the porsches, ferraris and maseratis for a couple hrs. head out to nashville super speedway to meet jane bridges and maybe autocross the 32. do a 140 mph run then hit a cloverleaf about 80.
halfway around steering gets rock hard and dash lights up like a xmas tree!!
pull over. pop the hood and the seprentine is shredded!!!!! temps got high dumped some coolant and bye bye belt! get a AAA tow home and no belts ! gotta wait till mon. no racing for me!

Old 03-06-2010, 05:47 PM

By the way, those manifold bolts will need re torquing weekly. I used locktite blue but I didn't put much on and they still loosen up from time to time. Next time I'll be putting double. I would never use locktite red, you may never get them out without breaking them.

Les

Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
By the way, those manifold bolts will need re torquing weekly. I used locktite blue but I didn't put much on and they still loosen up from time to time. Next time I'll be putting double. I would never use locktite red, you may never get them out without breaking them.

Les
Are we talking stock manis here......I haven't had mine off, so no reason to check them...but they are coming off soon....what is the story here?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:18 PM

Yes, stock manifolds. They have some kind of locktite from the factory. Once the screws are removed if you don't use some similar thread lock they will come loose constantly.

Les

Old 03-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Yes, stock manifolds. They have some kind of locktite from the factory. Once the screws are removed if you don't use some similar thread lock they will come loose constantly.

Les
thanks Les....I take it blue loctite would work....

Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Wasted day.......

How is the throttle body to super charger spacer gasket?? Split or torn??

Woody

Old 03-06-2010, 08:33 PM

TB spacer is good.... I have been very careful with it since I lost the first one last year.....

Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i feel your pain!!
thirteendog jhm2k and myself head to franklin tn for cars and coffee this am. run hard on the way over , drool over the porsches, ferraris and maseratis for a couple hrs. head out to nashville super speedway to meet jane bridges and maybe autocross the 32. do a 140 mph run then hit a cloverleaf about 80.
halfway around steering gets rock hard and dash lights up like a xmas tree!!
pull over. pop the hood and the seprentine is shredded!!!!! temps got high dumped some coolant and bye bye belt! get a AAA tow home and no belts ! gotta wait till mon. no racing for me!
Bummer Steve. Was that the belt with the new psk? Do you think the psk had anything to do with it?

Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmorgan
Bummer Steve. Was that the belt with the new psk? Do you think the psk had anything to do with it?
yep my new belt!! what i did was block my rad with some cardboard to get my temps up due to the frigid weather in my area. then forgot i did it! today its 60 out and myself and the guys are doing 120 to 140 mph blasts and my car got super hot. blew coolant out the overflow tube all over the engine and onto the belt during a 70+ cloverleaf run. slid the belt rite off and shredded it!!!! no fault of the kit just me being forgetful. ill get a new belt monday.
btw the new dr's will be in tues!!! time to get to the track!

Old 03-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Default Re: Wasted day...

I went out and checked out the IC pump this morning and it looks to be working fine. I have it setup to be on when the key is ON so I can hear it running without the engine noise. I clamped off the return line so the fluid would run to the surge tank and I can see it flowing into it fine, so the pump looks like it is working...

Old 03-07-2010, 02:19 PM

Did you check the pulleys? I never see rubber around mine. No signs of slip at all. I'm thinking if the belt is slipping its because you have a pulley thats not turning the way it should. Going bad and getting hard to turn or seizing when it get hot. I've never had your issue so I can't say but follow the signs.

Les

Old 03-07-2010, 05:30 PM

Yes, the pullies appear to be fine......

Quick Reply: Wasted day...