Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Newest member of the 11s club!

Old 02-03-2016, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Newest member of the 11s club!

Originally Posted by dinasrt
And Chuck doesn't even have a Wavetrac! (at least, I don't think he does)?
Sure don't! It currently tops the wish list in conjunction with 3.27 gears and a TCU tune. ET Streets will be here next week, but we're back to our usual Florida weather. Guess it will be another year before I get good weather for racing. More time to finish the 82mm TB mod along with other things. At some point I'll need to get a wideband too. Been pushing it hard to not know what my AFRs are.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 3:27 now but haven't been back to the 1/4 mile since the change. I had a TCU tune with the 3:07 and it was a headache that never worked right. Well, I guess I do have a TCU tune for the 3:27 to work. If your going to do lots of highway driving, you may regret the 3:27.

Les

Old 02-03-2016, 08:32 PM

Six cars, two drivers. The coupe has put on 13K miles in almost 5 years...it's not a worry.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:21 PM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by chuK_138
Sure don't! It currently tops the wish list in conjunction with 3.27 gears and a TCU tune. ET Streets will be here next week, but we're back to our usual Florida weather. Guess it will be another year before I get good weather for racing. More time to finish the 82mm TB mod along with other things. At some point I'll need to get a wideband too. Been pushing it hard to not know what my AFRs are.
I drove with the 327 for over a year, in Oct. to the Dragon i got 23 mpg so the 327 was good to me. now to see what the 3.46 will do for the mpg,

Number 1 a AFR is a must. you now have the tires, as for the 3.27 . yes you need one.mine is not for sale at this time.

Last edited by amx1397; 02-03-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car is FAST Chuck. Faster than many others with similar or even more mods. I do not mean to diminish your skill in driving a good pass at all, you clearly have that down. I couldn't run an 11 second pass with a 62mm pulley, good cooling, additional mods, and many perfect launches; same with others. Do you think you have an exceptionally good tune? Do you think it could be a "factory freak"?

Old 02-04-2016, 06:44 PM

The tune is a canned tune from EC that had 2 minor tweaks adjusted, since I had them modify an existing one they had on file. Crazy thing is I haven't had a retune since adding the manifolds. Then it decides to go crazy fast a week later! The previous 5 or 6 12.0 runs should answer the driver questions anyone may have.
On the "factory freak" subject, I do consider the car to be one of the freaks actually! It's always run faster than other comparably modded cars, going back to when it had just a DIY CAI. Kim likes to say it was built on a Wednesday.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I worried about my car being a monday or friday car. My first dyno numbers were …… heartbreakingly low. I've since come to the conclusion that AMG engine builders don't have a bad day. And dyno numbers are exciting but 1/4 mile mph tells the true story of horse power.

Les

Old 02-04-2016, 08:12 PM

I'm looking forward to strapping it down to one in the near future. I have a number in mind that I'd like to see but am totally aware they all differ in readings from one manufacturer to another.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:13 AM
Forum Regular

The tune is a canned tune from EC that had 2 minor tweaks adjusted, since I had them modify an existing one they had on file. Crazy thing is I haven't had a retune since adding the manifolds. Then it decides to go crazy fast a week later! The previous 5 or 6 12.0 runs should answer the driver questions anyone may have.
On the "factory freak" subject, I do consider the car to be one of the freaks actually! It's always run faster than other comparably modded cars, going back to when it had just a DIY CAI. Kim likes to say it was built on a Wednesday.
I think you are right about your freak Chuck. Nice car.

Your example may also highlight the power in running an air fuel ratio that is aggressively closer to max power rather than conservatively rich. You are probably running a little leaner with the manifolds and making a little more power. I'd love to know what your air fuel ratio is.

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I worried about my car being a monday or friday car. My first dyno numbers were …… heartbreakingly low. I've since come to the conclusion that AMG engine builders don't have a bad day. And dyno numbers are exciting but 1/4 mile mph tells the true story of horse power.
Les
Les, what about IHI supercharger machinists? I have thought for a while my supercharger may be a bit "loose". Stock, I never saw more than 14.0 pounds of boost and my best time was a 13.2. With the 178 / 65 stacked pulleys the most boost I ever see is 21 psi where others have reported as high as 23 psi. I am very happy with my best ET of 11.85, but I would love to run an 11.5x.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:29 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't leave out track condition and track prep as a huge factor too. Up here the track is only open for a couple months of the summer, no money invested into the track and preparation was almost non-existant. Hooking on the few runs that I got in was the most frustrating. Sure technique is important but without a good, well prep'd track, technique and a few extra HP is out the window.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Don't leave out track condition and track prep as a huge factor too. Up here the track is only open for a couple months of the summer, no money invested into the track and preparation was almost non-existant. Hooking on the few runs that I got in was the most frustrating. Sure technique is important but without a good, well prep'd track, technique and a few extra HP is out the window.

Absolutely.

It's not an issue for me. National Trail Raceway usually has excellent track prep. On my Mickey Thompson drag radials I can go wide open throttle on the launch with no wheel spin, and pull consistent 1.7x 60 foot times.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract

Les
Two seemingly identical cars that came off the line one behind the other can feel like different animals when on the road. If car A is built using parts that are mostly not in the ideal tolerance range and car B is built using parts that are mainly in the ideal tolerance range, then car B will run better. These tolerances from the engine, through the transmission to the rear wheels all have a minute affect, but can add up to a noticeable difference, good or bad.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:12 PM

Went out again last night and couldn't hook to save my life. I think the car is still adjusting to the manifolds. There's a very noticeable difference in how the power the came on last night too. Tires would break 10-15 feet out of the hole, spin through second, then stall in third as I let off. Even with 2-2.2 60' times I trapped anywhere from 114.8 to 115.4 MPH. I tried to launch at different RPM or slowly roll into the throttle but it would just break loose. Hoping that the new wheels and tires will alleviate the traction issues. Can't blame the prep either. Our track has an IHRA event this weekend and it had been repaved less than 4 months ago.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:43 PM

Got the new wheels in and it looks like my Zietronix setup will be here next week. Nothing like your best friend scaring your fiancé into thinking the motor could blow if you aren't monitoring it. I can't get angry, now I have a little more peace of mind! I'll finally be able to tell my AFRs boostmonkey.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing like your best friend scaring your fiancé into thinking the motor could blow if you aren't monitoring it.
Sounds like you had that planned out perfectly.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 PM

I'm pretty slick, but not that slick! I planned to ask for it after I gave her some jewelry for Valentine's Day. He wasn't supposed to say anything, but it worked out for me in the end.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:36 PM

I'm pretty slick, but not that slick! I planned to ask for it after I gave her some jewelry for Valentine's Day. He wasn't supposed to say anything, but it worked out for me in the end.
I feel you Chuck. Lately(and unfortunately), I've had to be a little sneaky with the mod purchases. I wish Dina would understand how important all of this is.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:23 PM

The biggest downside to modding the coupe is Kim wants the roadster done the same way. It's easy to find one part cheap, finding duplicate deals is next to impossible. I'll be on my best behavior for the rest of the year to get Wavetrac approval!!

Old 02-11-2016, 12:26 AM

I'll be on my best behavior for the rest of the year to get Wavetrac approval!!
Lol, I hear you there. Good luck with that; I've been looking for "Wavetrac approval" for three years pending now.