South Forum Serving AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX.

Central Texas Crossfires(CTC) Downsizing

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Central Texas Crossfires(CTC) Downsizing

I know I have voiced my concern before about alienating members from the club. I disagree with since the club is voluntary, social and membership is free. I feel that if an individuals station in life changes, and I know it has for a lot of people the last year or so, you don't kick them when they are down. Many individuals are reluctant to let on that times are difficult for them. They choose not discuss their situation and avoid any situation that could cause the subject to come up. The first thing comes up if you miss a couple of GTGs is where you been, this leads right to the situation they may be trying to avoid. I know this first hand because I was made to feel that way with the local MOPAR club about 10 years ago. It took a complete change of club leadership before I felt comfortable again.

Bill made mention that we had better participation when when gas was $4 a gallon. That may be true but a lot of people have lost jobs and are struggling since then. While gas has gone down the economic situation is much worse. In my mind that negates any drop in gas prices. If I can have any input into the situation it would be that we allow any member to return at any time. If we don't allow people to return I may very well go the way of those that are being removed from the roster. I personally think it is insulting to remove anyone from a voluntary organization with any just cause or wrong doing.

That's the end of my rant, I guess now we let the chips fall were they may.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FTroopChief
We don't discriminate against northern Texans :)

John P
Thanks John

Old 06-03-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by rgordner
I know I have voiced my concern before about alienating members from the club. I disagree with since the club is voluntary, social and membership is free. I feel that if an individuals station in life changes, and I know it has for a lot of people the last year or so, you don't kick them when they are down. Many individuals are reluctant to let on that times are difficult for them. They choose not discuss their situation and avoid any situation that could cause the subject to come up. The first thing comes up if you miss a couple of GTGs is where you been, this leads right to the situation they may be trying to avoid. I know this first hand because I was made to feel that way with the local MOPAR club about 10 years ago. It took a complete change of club leadership before I felt comfortable again.

Bill made mention that we had better participation when when gas was $4 a gallon. That may be true but a lot of people have lost jobs and are struggling since then. While gas has gone down the economic situation is much worse. In my mind that negates any drop in gas prices. If I can have any input into the situation it would be that we allow any member to return at any time. If we don't allow people to return I may very well go the way of those that are being removed from the roster. I personally think it is insulting to remove anyone from a voluntary organization with any just cause or wrong doing.

That's the end of my rant, I guess now we let the chips fall were they may.
Ron, I think you put a lot of thought in your post. I have to agree with many if not most of your points. There are few, if any, ground rules for maintaining membership, and a person's personal business is personal. Apologies for non-attendance should not be required, nor the reasons for it, however, having said that, I understand Bill's frustrations too. No one is asking for a person's reasons for non attendance, the fly in the ointment as I see it, is the lack of communication or if you will response to the many notices of the meetings. Even a short "I'll pass this one" gives the planner(s) an idea whether to eat at Harry's 4 booth Hamburger Heaven with no parking, or the Olive Garden with ample seating and parking. Socializing, fun and a good ride are what we are after, not nit picking, but it also goes to consideration of the planners of the event.
I would suggest that before a mass dropping of members occurs, #1 personnally contact the individuals privately and make a determination from that. If there is no response, then suspend or remove the member from the roster. Not an easy choice as Frank put it, but we are not here to alienate people but bring them together. Ron, I think your last sentence was meant to read "withOUT any just cause", correct me if I'm wrong. Life goes on, let's not make it any harder than it is.
Ron, have a quick recovery. See ya at Ancira's
John P

Old 06-03-2009, 08:27 PM

John you are correct I meant without cause. Those thoughts have been going through my head since the subject was first mentioned. I was pretty amped up and was typing quickly. In the end I'll be Ok with it as long as we will welcome them back if they would like to return.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Just wanted to CYA. Let me tell yew, yew ain't never experienced anything like the SRT-6
Take ya for a ride.

John P

Last edited by FTroopChief; 06-03-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill F
Effective 6/14/09, the Central Texas Crossfires (CTC) roster will be downsized.
Active members voted to remove from the CTC roster inactive members who've missed five or more GTGs in a row. Continually missing GTGs or not responding to CTC posts shows a lack of interest in the club.
The red CTC will be removed from those member's names on the Official Texas Member list thread.

Members wishing to remain in the Central Texas Crossfires may do so by participating in club GTGs.
I left the door open on the last sentence of the thread for those members. Everyone of the members in question have been pm'd over many GTGs without response, therefore shows a lack of interest. Now don't put it all on me, as I said this was voted on by attending members at the time of which they also had concerns about no shows and I sent those members what I intended to post and got their ok. I made a few changes as not to be to harsh. That is another reason to attend GTGs as it is also our meeting if there is business to take care of. All I did was follow through and give all members and opportunity to attend or respond to a GTG. Those same members have continued to not socialize with the rest of us. It is this way, if you are in a club and pay dues, you are a member in good standing, if you don't you are out. We do not have dues but it would seem reasonable to attend some GTGs to remain in good standing. A club is made up of people who have something in common and want to have fun, if you are not having fun, what is the purpose of being in a club. Some times I don't feel like going to a GTG or something has come up, but as a member I feel obligated to be there, so I work around any issue as I have committed myself to being there. I feel I owe it to the members and want to help to have a good turnout. Heck, it is only once a month. I have to practice what I preach. So, those members who have missed the last five GTGs will be re moved from the CTC roster effective 6/14/2009 which is our GTG. Everyone has an opportunity to sign up. All are welcome to join our GTGs, member or not.

Has anyone noticed, not a comment from those members who I've just described. The comments are from active members or non-members. I haven't even been pm'd by them.

Last edited by Bill F; 06-26-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I agree with some of what has been stated, I have more in common with Ron's sayin . I wasn't there for the vote, nor do I remember being PM'ed about a vote.....but I've slept since then sooooo !

Most of us still carry 40 hour plus worka week jobs and have family or personal committments, while GTG's are fun and good fellowship I don't understand what sticks in everyone's craw about this membership thing. (Well they don't communicate) It's voluntary after all......and should someone who has not attended in a while and booted from the club would like to show up for a GTG they probably won't....... It's not something I'm comfortable with, but I'll live with everyone's decision. At this point in my life I tend to do alot more "work arounds" than when I was somewhat younger and I can "work around" this one !!!
I'm done now....where's my meds ???

Last edited by Stogey; 06-04-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I guess I will pipe in, I understand the objections from some of yall but I think the use of words like downsizing and removed do not describe what Bill was trying to say but I won't speak for him. Here is my take,
I (and I believe all of yall) joined the CTC to make new friends and the Crossfire was the commonality in the equation that lead to the friendships I (we) enjoy today. The issue is the list of members and I think that list should consist of active members for two reasons, one is for the GTG planner to be able to use, if you are planning a GTG or RUN knowing how many is very important to the plan and the second is for others wishing to participate to know who to contact. I understand that life sometimes gets in the way of wants and that means you can't come to the GTG's but I think not even posting a simple I can't make it when you are reading the posting is inconsiderate and well just plan old rude and sorry guys but I'm from the south and rudeness is just wrong. I don't see an exclusion of anyone, any member that participates (and that may mean only posting a sorry guys) should be on the CTC list and people who do not participate should not be on the list, dang all you gotta do is start participating to be on it. Maybe it should not be called a "CTC MEMBERS LIST" maybe we should call it a "ACTIVE" or "PARTICIPATING CTC" list.
Sorry I rambled so I'll sum it up:
I think the list should be a participating members list. If I have whizzed in someones post toasties with my thoughts I am truly sorry because for what it's worth this is JMHO. Am I still invited? Lets Roll....

Last edited by PAULW; 06-04-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stogey
Bill while I agree with some of what you've stated, I have more in common with Ron. I wasn't there for the vote, nor do I remember being PM'ed about a vote.....but I've slept since then sooooo !

Most of us still carry 40 hour plus a week jobs and have family or personal committments, while GTG's are fun and good fellowship I don't understand what sticks in everyone's craw about this. (Well they don't communicate) It's voluntary after all......and should someone who has not attended in a while and booted from the club would like to show up for a GTG they probably won't....... It's not something I'm comfortable with, but I'll live with everyone's decision. It seems to me at this point in life I tend to do alot more work arounds than when I was somewhat younger and I can work around this one !!! I'm done now....where's my meds ???
I'm sorry you as well as others wasn't there when the vote was taken. As it is voluntary to show up, it still comes down to this, everyone can find an excuse not to show up for one reason or another. After all I'm just a volunteer and I do. I know not everyone can make it to a GTG all the time. Missing five or more in a row or not responding to CTC posts and pms, some don't even bother to log on to find out what the CTC is doing is a bit much. I think I've covered all there needs to be covered. I knew there would be some heat but I guess I may have to start on meds or maybe I just won't show up at the GTGs for five or more times in a row to be removed from the CTC roster. You know, I wouldn't do that to my fellow members, because I respect them to much and I don't want to show any disrespect by not socializing with them or ignoring them. I only do it once a month anyway.

Last edited by Bill F; 06-04-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PAULW
Well I guess I will pipe in, I understand the objections from some of yall but I think the use of words like downsizing and removed do not describe what Bill was trying to say but I won't speak for him. Here is my take,
I (and I believe all of yall) joined the CTC to make new friends and the Crossfire was the commonality in the equation that lead to the friendships I (we) enjoy today. The issue is the list of members and I think that list should consist of active members for two reasons, one is for the GTG planner to be able to use, if you are planning a GTG or RUN knowing how many is very important to the plan and the second is for others wishing to participate to know who to contact. I understand that life sometimes gets in the way of wants and that means you can't come to the GTG's but I think not even posting a simple I can't make it when you are reading the posting is inconsiderate and well just plan old rude and sorry guys but I'm from the south and rudeness is just wrong. I don't see an exclusion of anyone, any member that participates (and that may mean only posting a sorry guys) should be on the CTC list and people who do not participate should not be on the list, dang all you gotta do is start participating to be on it. Maybe it should not be called a "CTC MEMBERS LIST" maybe we should call it a "ACTIVE" or "PARTICIPATING CTC" list.
Sorry I rambled so I'll sum it up:
I think the list should be a participating members list. If I have whizzed in someones post toasties with my thoughts I am truly sorry because for what it's worth these are JMHO. Am I still invited? Lets Roll....
Very well put. I really like the idea of maybe having two lists. "ACTIVE MEMBERS" & "INACTIVE MEMBERS"
The more the merrier and I am sure we would all like to see larger turnouts.

I believe the main concern here is COMPLETE lack of involvement. I would hope to see these people return, but for now maybe we put these people on a back burner, so to speak, assume that they are not going to participate for planning sake, and hope that they find the time and enthusiasm to return someday. Just my $.02.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by 007_MI6
Very well put. I really like the idea of maybe having two lists. "ACTIVE MEMBERS" & "INACTIVE MEMBERS"
The more the merrier and I am sure we would all like to see larger turnouts.

I believe the main concern here is COMPLETE lack of involvement. I would hope to see these people return, but for now maybe we put these people on a back burner, so to speak, assume that they are not going to participate for planning sake, and hope that they find the time and enthusiasm to return someday. Just my $.02.
As everyone who has a Crossfire can join our GTGs, they don't have to be a member. The club was started to be a part of something and to organize as active members. I assume that is why we all joined. I also assume inactive members do not want to be a part of that, therefore what is the purpose of being an inactive member. Yes, I want everyone to be an active member so we will have great turnouts and enjoy each others company. Their membership numbers are still open if they want participate and associate with the Central Texas Crossfires in the future. Downsizing was used as a way of being cute as it is used so much in these economic times. Another good one is "You're Fired", but it is not a job. Members not in good standing, I like also. When a new member joins, I place them on the member roster, so I thought remove would be appropriate.

Last edited by Bill F; 06-04-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bill F
As everyone who has a Crossfire can join our GTGs, they don't have to be a member. The club was started to be a part of something and to organize as active members. I assume that is why we all joined. I also assume inactive members do not want to be a part of that, therefore what is the purpose of being an inactive member. Yes, I want everyone to be an active member so we will have great turnouts and enjoy each others company. Hell, I'm only scratching their name off the list, there membership numbers are still open if they want participate and associate with the Central Texas Crossfires in the future.
Hey, it all sounds fair to me, because how are you going to offend someone who doesn't participate anyway? Honestly, as I see it, I don't much care about the list..., not in my position at least. I am a member, I have a number, and I participate. It's all just fun and friends to me. I think I am going to step out of this on that note, because I will just start repeating myself.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:06 AM

Yeah, me too!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 AM

I'm all about the run.....and it's wonderful that I'm a part of a Great Bunch of guys and gals with a common interest, but it is all about havin fun.

I just think we're being way too serious with this membership thing.......

With that said I will add.......

I am Proud to be CTC Member #11 ...... no Bill I'm not removing the Harley decal from my back window !!!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Forum Regular

Hey... I'm proud to come from all the way North to "cruise" around with an awesome patch of crossfires / people. Looking forward to the 14th

Maybe we can do the sisters another time? They do sound fun

Old 06-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by eeric
Hey... I'm proud to come from all the way North to "cruise" around with an awesome patch of crossfires / people. Looking forward to the 14th

Maybe we can do the sisters another time? They do sound fun
Hey Eric, come down for a weekend and we'll do the SISTERS !!!

Hmmmm, maybe I should rephrase that.......Nahhhhhh !!!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 AM

I did the sisters myself it was a fun ride. Looking forward to doing it again.

Last edited by Bill F; 06-04-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stogey
Hey Eric, come down for a weekend and we'll do the SISTERS !!!

Hmmmm, maybe I should rephrase that.......Nahhhhhh !!!

Hey... I'ld even like to "Do" the Sisters.... lol And if all goes well this next week I'll be able to start traveling again soon!!!!!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Forum Regular

Sounds like we may have to set up a Sisters run. I wouldn't mind going myself.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Char

Hey... I'ld even like to "Do" the Sisters.... lol And if all goes well this next week I'll be able to start traveling again soon!!!!!
Excellant.....you guys from the DFW area need to plan for a weekend. It's about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour trip from Austin to the Sisters.
Take that back....for some of you, Char can make the trip in about an hour and a half seeing the way she drove TMS !!!

Quick Reply: Central Texas Crossfires(CTC) Downsizing