Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

won't start

Old 05-31-2015, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't start

I recently purchesed an 04 crossfire, no issues the 1st 2 weeks but this past week it has not been starting at random times, lights and all work, but the engine won't even attempt to turn over, the 1st time it happened we thought it might have been RCM board, we pulled it out of the car but all the diodes looked good no corrosion or burnt places, but we did notice 4 of the 15 am fuses were blown. After replacing the fuses the car started right up (after not starting for a day and 1/2), we thought the problem was fixed!! it did it again yesterday coming off the interstate, we had it towed home, pulled the RCM board to check it again, we did nothing to the board, only looked at it, put it back in the car and it started right up??

Old 05-31-2015, 11:32 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: won't start

Did you resolder the 3 joints?
See the thread in my signature, "RCM Repair".

Old 05-31-2015, 12:35 PM

no , because they looked to be in perfect condition..

Old 05-31-2015, 01:14 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by carmax
no , because they looked to be in perfect condition..
That's what they always say until they look really close with a magnifying glass.
Just saying.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Did you look under magnification?
Did you look at the pictures in the thread?
Could be something else but this is a known problem.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:55 PM

ok I'll recheck...thank you!!

Old 05-31-2015, 08:25 PM

yep, you were right, there was erosion on closer inspection...took the steps to fix it, it's back in the car, now fingers crossed that fixed it....might be awhile before I know for sure...

Old 05-31-2015, 10:55 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

You missed a great meet today. We met in Helen, GA and had 7 cars show up.

Join us next time - if you are on Facebook, search "Crossfires in the South" - it is a public group, you can read about it without actually joining.

Sounds to me like your car is fixed...

Old 06-01-2015, 06:54 AM

thanks for the info, I'll check it out...

Old 06-11-2015, 09:42 PM

just put in my new rcm and viola, she fired and brought a huge smile to my face. Almost like whe n the cobra starts up. Thanks to all the info on the rcm problem and thanks for the special people who passed the info on. What a relief. I would like to send the old one to tighed for a new solder job and relay replacement. Could you, tighed1 please contact me so I can make arrangements. Thanks, Paul

Old 06-12-2015, 07:20 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by COJAG
just put in my new rcm and viola, she fired and brought a huge smile to my face. Almost like whe n the cobra starts up. Thanks to all the info on the rcm problem and thanks for the special people who passed the info on. What a relief. I would like to send the old one to tighed for a new solder job and relay replacement. Could you, tighed1 please contact me so I can make arrangements. Thanks, Paul
Send DJ an email at :

tighed1@hotmail.com

Old 06-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the proud owner of a 2004 XF for 10 days now. My wife took the car to work to show off to her coworkers and she just called me to say she was going to go to lunch but... The XF won't start I guess I'll spend the rest of today reading your website until I go home at 5pm to check out the car... Any suggestions where I should start?

Old 06-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ultrajim49
I am the proud owner of a 2004 XF for 10 days now. My wife took the car to work to show off to her coworkers and she just called me to say she was going to go to lunch but... The XF won't start I guess I'll spend the rest of today reading your website until I go home at 5pm to check out the car... Any suggestions where I should start?
Does the car turn over and just not fire up or is it just dead?
Do you have lights on the dash when the key is turned on?
How old is your battery?

RL

Old 06-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, here's the latest... When I got to my wife's work, sure enough nothing on the fob worked. I had to open the day with the key...just like she used to lock it. On a side note I found out that locking the door with your key does not lock the trunk??? When I opened the door I noticed to interior lights on. When I turned the key I also got no dash lights, no horn, no radio...no electric anywhere. I assumed a dead battery so I " tried" jumping it with my wife's car. I immediately noticed no sparks on the battery terminals when I connected the jumper cables. The car would not start but I now had dash lights and other electrical signs of life. I disconnected the battery and took it to Auto zone. They tested it for me and it read " Good battery" 100% charged??? This did not make sense to me but I put it back in the XF. As I was reconnecting the cables to the battery terminals...this time I was getting sparks. I was going to start to remove the RCM but I thought let's try to start the car one more time...it started right up as if it had been perfect all along??? I thought I would have had to reset the fob, clock and other settings seeing I had the battery removed for about 45 mins...but everything was fine. At this point I' m guessing lose battery cables on the terminals. I do plan to do the RCM fix in the next few weeks anyway just as a precaution. I'm a proactive kind of guy rather than re- active. Before I end this post I just want to say what a GREAT site this is and a wealth of information...the only thing better is the XF owners on it...you guys a great!!! As a XF newbie there is nothing worse than having a problem and not knowing where to start. I have had many cars in my 66 yes. from Coupe devilles, Rivieras, Monte Carlos to Smart For two and everything in between. I have to say I have never felt more knowledge and familiar with my cars as I now do with my xf... Just because of the in for on this site. Thanks again for being there when we need you and I hope to meet up with owners in the Tampa Bay Fl area.