Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

FIRST coolant change/flush

Old 07-17-2019, 08:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 132 Likes on 104 Posts
Default FIRST coolant change/flush

I already bought a new thermostat as a precaution (33K mile car still with "blue goo" in it) but now that I am about to change the coolant I'm wondering if I should also put in a new MB temperature sensor just because of the age of the component. What do you guys think? It's only $17.00.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:44 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: FIRST coolant change/flush

Where did you find a temperature sensor for $17?

And I don't see a reason to change it, since I cant remember if I ever heard of one going bad.

(EDIT: I see the generics are arond $17 and the OEM runs $24 at German Auto Supply. Why not buy an OEM part? Seems like $7 would be a good price to pay to be a bit more sure of what you are buying.)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 07-17-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:19 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy

And I don't see a reason to change it, since I cant remember if I ever heard of one going bad.

(EDIT: I see the generics are arond $17 and the OEM runs $24 at German Auto Supply. Why not buy an OEM part? Seems like $7 would be a good price to pay to be a bit more sure of what you are buying.)
^^^^^^ what he said

Old 07-17-2019, 10:59 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pizzaguy

My thinking exactly. And it was only $16.15 in actuality, not $17. It's some Mercedes dealer in the Mid-West that sells his parts quite cheaply. I'll look it up later tonight when I get home. i STILL HAVE THE PART NUMBER ON A PIECE OF PAPER IN MY POCKET, 0999053800 (damn caps!). Anyway I'll let you know when I get home. I've ordered from him twice and beside their penchant for wanting a VIN# and then telling me they can't guarantee fitment on a Crossfire they've been easy to deal with, their parts the same as walking into any MB dealership and their shipping spot-on fast.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:38 AM
Forum Regular

Here's the link to your temperature sensor: https://mercedespartscenter.com/part...&siteid=215720

But perhaps a more helpful page is this one (SLK320): https://mercedespartscenter.com/part...z/SLK320/Base/

Old 07-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Forum Regular

OK so, word of advice when ordering from this dealer... PRETEND YOU HAVE A MERCEDES!!! Find a VIN for the year/model you are ordering for and input it when placing your order otherwise you will do an email dance which just delays your order. You have been warned. Until now I left the VIN in my order blank which triggered an email. OK fine. This time I put the VIN of the Crossfire and an explanation in the order comments. Big mistake. I got even a sterner warning than using no VIN. Trust me. Be a Mercedes.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:00 PM
Forum Regular

This dealer is like communicating with a girlfriend that has multiple personalities. My prior frustration was caused by this communique:

"Unfortunately our online catalog is unable to specify parts by CHRYSLER, so we go through your order to double check every part before continuing. We are unable to verify parts 100%. IF you are sure that these parts and part numbers are what you need, we can continue with your authorization. This is why we want to double check parts against the VIN. **PLEASE NOTE** If the customer specifies a part that does NOT match the VIN, all sales are final. As in: Customer understands that by accepting this transaction that all ordered parts will be considered non-refundable/non-returnable, no exceptions. This is due to our inability to verify fitment of said parts to the customer's vehicle, and the customer wishing to proceed with the above conditions. - Derek "

You can't just reply to their email. No that would be too easy. You have to log onto their computer system, and yes I mean log on with a password, reference the order number, etc., just to speak to them. Anyway, all is resolved now and so your unstable girlfriend now talks to you as though no spat ever took place:

"THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUICK REPLY... Hello and thank you for your order. If this is your first order with us, we just wanted to let you know that all of our parts are brand new, OEM Mercedes-Benz parts, the same as if you went to your local dealer as we are a dealer ourselves. In regards to your order, we would like to inform you that one or more of your parts was a non-stocking item for us and we had to order it in from our warehouse. Turn around is typically 3-7 business days for us to receive the part(s) and then ship your completed order. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us through our website "Contact Us" link in your order. Thank you for your business, Mercedes Parts Center - Derek"

THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS THIS... YOU DO NOT OWN A CHRYSLER. EVEN THE THOUGHT IS HERESY. YOU OWN A MERCEDES. IN FACT YOU OWN A MERCEDES EXACTLY BEFITTING THE PART NUMBERS IN YOUR ORDER. IF NOT THEN YOU WILL DIVIDE THAT ORDER INTO TWO SMALLER ORDERS EACH FOR THE RESPECTIVE CAR. TO DO OTHERWISE IS TO UPSET THE DELICATE SENSIBILITIES OF Mercedes Parts Center, IE, your crazy girlfriend.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:42 AM
Forum Regular

I went to the Mercedes-Benz dealer parts counter in Irondale, Alabama for the first time today. Again, just as when I order from a Mercedes dealer online, they asked for my VIN#. However I finally know why. Dealers use the VIN to warranty the part should it go bad. I understand from a friend of mine that Chrysler/Dodge dealers have the same "we MUST have the VIN" policy. Anyway I'm no longer frustrated by it. Knowing the REASON for it makes all the difference.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a Merc!