Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Old 03-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

Well, it's the second day after our 1st "check engine" light came on (P0335 CPS). I reset the alarm and many starts later, no alarm, knocking on my wooden head for luck here. Maybe just a fluke, maybe fate, there were a lot of Indiana state troopers out yesterday so I baby'd her home.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

XF redo,
I would suggest that you get a CPS and have it on hand. Usually, once the error starts popping, it will just get worse, until it fails hard. You dont want to be stuck out on the road when you cant start your car.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I only had the P0335 come on one time, but for $38, I replaced it and kept the original as a backup in case of need.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeR
XF redo,
I would suggest that you get a CPS and have it on hand. Usually, once the error starts popping, it will just get worse, until it fails hard. You dont want to be stuck out on the road when you cant start your car.
Mike is right on the money on this one. This is a warning, not a fluke...this car is just too smart for its own good....I think my sensors I have on hand, not had to use them yet, were $47 bucks, and a "how to" on here for the install....good luck....if not, I hope you subscribe to "AAA".....

Old 04-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Crank Position Sensor

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Bosch Crankshaft Position Sensor < click

Currently available for just $40.81
Order one now just to have a spare one on hand.
It's currently on sale for $39.11!

I just ordered my spare as well. Thanks for the link!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:15 PM

My car just popped a P0341, crankshaft position sensor' also, I believe. I was going to take it to the dealership on Monday, but yesterday the CEL was out. Does this sound like the same "it's just a matter of time" situation?

Thanks,

dh

Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

P0341 is the CAMshaft position sensor.... causes same symptoms....it is mounted on the front of the motor and much easier to get to...

Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
P0341 is the CAMshaft position sensor.... causes same symptoms....it is mounted on the front of the motor and much easier to get to...
That's great news! Given the circumstances should I expect it to fail at some point in the future? There were zero symptoms other than the CEL...which did not light back up when started the next day. Is it worth taking in now or should I wait until something comes of it?

Thanks!

dh

Old 04-15-2010, 08:39 PM

Dealership quoted $470 to replace the cam shaft position sensor. Sounded steep as the part retails for $160 or so.

Glad it's under warranty.

Dh

Old 04-16-2010, 04:16 AM

Wow... if our exchange rate was what it was 12 months ago I could have flown over and replaced it for you for that price.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanielNTX
Well my car was randomly stalling on the streets and was pulling code P0335 which means "Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Error". I had problems starting the car after it stalled and I could restart it after a few minutes of cooling down. Apparently the Crankshaft Position Sensor is affected by heat when it fails. I did a lot of research on MBWorld.org and found many threads on the subject: Engine Quiting - MBWorld.org Forums

I pulled it from the service manual already. It just says remove connector but it doesn't say how. There's actually a small clip that attaches to the part. You have to push the rear end down and pull it off. Don't pull on the wire. Then after you have to take a star socket and remove the retaining bolt.

The Mercedes Part # for the Crankshaft Position Sensor is 003 153 27 28. Unfortunately, no local autoparts store in Austin carried it. The average price for an aftermarket part is $80-90. I went to the Mercedes Dealership to get it and the part has been updated to part 003 153 28 28 and it cost $153.90 for the original Mercedes part.

I would say overall that it's easier than replacing a spark plug, but it's in a tight space and you can't really see or maneuver too much. If you're good with mechanics and you have the right tools it should take about 20 minutes to replace, not the 1.25 hours of labor quoted to me.

I've included a bunch of pictures so if you guys ever run into the problem.

Picture #1: Bolt, Star Socket, New part on the left, Old part on the right
Picture #2: Socket, Top of Screw, New on left, Old on right
Picture #3: Rear of engine where sensor is in the center of picture
Picture #4: Picture of where the sensor goes and the bolt hole
Picture #5: Picture of cable
Picture #6: Picture of sensor installed and cable attached
Picture #7: OBD II - no errors
I think this one should be a sticky! I've had this problem before and it's very embarrassing.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Blast Chamber
It's currently on sale for $39.11!

I just ordered my spare as well. Thanks for the link!
I just ordered a spare for my parts bin also. Thanks for the link, Gary.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:47 PM

Nice shootin' Tex!!!

The photos and the information is very much appreciated. Especially the photos. A picture makes all the difference. Thank you more than I can say.

Grateful for the visual <3

Warmest regards,

Tmtait

Originally Posted by DanielNTX
Well my car was randomly stalling on the streets and was pulling code P0335 which means "Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Error". I had problems starting the car after it stalled and I could restart it after a few minutes of cooling down. Apparently the Crankshaft Position Sensor is affected by heat when it fails. I did a lot of research on MBWorld.org and found many threads on the subject: Engine Quiting - MBWorld.org Forums

I pulled it from the service manual already. It just says remove connector but it doesn't say how. There's actually a small clip that attaches to the part. You have to push the rear end down and pull it off. Don't pull on the wire. Then after you have to take a star socket and remove the retaining bolt.

The Mercedes Part # for the Crankshaft Position Sensor is 003 153 27 28. Unfortunately, no local autoparts store in Austin carried it. The average price for an aftermarket part is $80-90. I went to the Mercedes Dealership to get it and the part has been updated to part 003 153 28 28 and it cost $153.90 for the original Mercedes part.

I would say overall that it's easier than replacing a spark plug, but it's in a tight space and you can't really see or maneuver too much. If you're good with mechanics and you have the right tools it should take about 20 minutes to replace, not the 1.25 hours of labor quoted to me.

I've included a bunch of pictures so if you guys ever run into the problem.

Picture #1: Bolt, Star Socket, New part on the left, Old part on the right
Picture #2: Socket, Top of Screw, New on left, Old on right
Picture #3: Rear of engine where sensor is in the center of picture
Picture #4: Picture of where the sensor goes and the bolt hole
Picture #5: Picture of cable
Picture #6: Picture of sensor installed and cable attached
Picture #7: OBD II - no errors

Old 05-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Forum Regular

Great price!

I ordered one for $39.11, too.

I also ordered a couple of other things to bring the total up another $11.00 and got FREE shipping (a savings of $10.39 and only paid 61 cents for the spray wax!)

One note on the photos of the part. I ordered and received the Bosch 0 261 210 170 which looks identical to the part you've labeled as your original. In other words, you list the part on the left as the new and the part on the right as the old one; mine looks exactly like the part on the right

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CPS.jpg (88.2 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Veloce; 05-15-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Unhappy Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

Hello fellow Crossfire lovers. New to this forum and hoping someone can assist. Just dropped off my 2004 at the local dealership and what I got was a qoute for $1030.00 + for a Crank Sensor and also an "Engine Relay Bank". In just a few minutes on the net I learned all about the Sensor, but an "Engine Relay Bank"? Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Talking Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

Originally Posted by lioness0728
Hello fellow Crossfire lovers. New to this forum and hoping someone can assist. Just dropped off my 2004 at the local dealership and what I got was a qoute for $1030.00 + for a Crank Sensor and also an "Engine Relay Bank". In just a few minutes on the net I learned all about the Sensor, but an "Engine Relay Bank"? Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
===== Here you go fix it yourself are get a new one for about 150$ https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/38338-relay-control-module-engine-wont-start-repair-offer.html

Old 08-10-2010, 09:27 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

I did and it came today via UPS

Can anyone please confirm that this C.P.S. from AutohausAZ will work on both the NA Limited and the SRT6.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 08-10-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Confirmed, same cps for NA and S/C engines

Old 08-10-2010, 09:41 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Bosch Crankshaft Position Sensor < click

Currently available for just $40.81
Order one now just to have a spare one on hand.
Sorry, here is Gary's post with the link. Can anyone please confirm that this part is good for both the SRT6 amd the NA Limited.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:44 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Confirmed, same cps for NA and S/C engines
Steve, Your awesome thanks.

Sending you pm.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Position Sensor