Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

rough gearbox?

Old 10-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough gearbox?

hey guys,

this is my first post on this forum since i got my brand new black six speed base coupe in june. i've been reading through the threads for the past few months and i have to say its great stuff. i've added a pioneer aftermarket radio and conveniently enough, i'm having crutchfield install my custom sub box from wickedcas next friday. i also had a flowmaster exhaust installed about two months ago which, after the break-in period, has a nice, but subtle growl to it.

i have a quick question though. what's up with the gearbox in the 6 speed? i've been driving stick for a while now, but this is my first car thats a manual. after driving a few of my friend's cars lately (acura rsx type-s, honda s2000, 350z) i noticed how smooth it was to downshift into first. i was wondering if it's just my own crossfire that seems to be shifting rather roughly? i always feel like i'm going to break the stick when downshifting into first. any advice would help. thanks.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: rough gearbox?

Why are you downshifting into first? You really shouldn't even try to select first, in any car, unless you're almost at a standstill. I can't imagine you need to downshift for a first gear corner anywhere.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it is stiff to downshift into first ... luckily there is no reason to do so at the speeds it is rough at cause the brakes do a much better job of slowing the car down than the downshift and you won't need to be in 1st when you slow down due to the car having great torque throughout..

and you are absolutely right, it feels like you are going to break it when attempting to do so and i would say follow that gut instinct so you do not end up the unlucky few who have had to have their transmission replaced after it starts popping out of 1st all the time.

i've observed the same and test drove a few other xf's and it is the same in each one ... so all is working as it should and there is no remedy for it. still shifts nicely 1 - 6 and 6 - 2 ... going from 2 - 1 i just double clutch it to match the speeds and it goes in nicely without any force. giving the synrcos a little helping hand.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:52 AM

oh, when i meant downshifting into first, i really am almost at a standstill. i never downshift into first unless i'm almost at a complete stop. however, i started downshifting into first because i reside in charlottesville, virginia for most of the year, where there are hills everywhere. i actually never started downshifting into first until i actually stalled this one time when i was in second on a slightly steep hill. but thanks for the information.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:28 PM

I was going to say you must have some really steep hills if you have to go up in first but I suppose you mean in traffic and that sort of thing. Strange really 95%+ of cars in the UK are manual but most XF's sold here are an auto box, mostly because we all normally drive manuals and know they are a pain in heavy traffic.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want to downshift into 1st gear properly from 2nd to 1st, you will need to double clutch, then stomp on the throttle to get the rpm up as high as possible, then you engage 1st. i suggest you buy the sprintbooster if this is going to be a regular occurrence with you, otherwise you'll be eating synchros like a dog!

Also the 2004 6 speeds need to have the 1st gear synchro update, otherwise it will pop out of gear. i like this transmission myself but the word is that it came out of a truck, so maybe all the parts aren't debarred to exacting standards as say an NSX gearbox. but i like the notchiness myself, it makes the car feel more masculine.

but seriously practice your double clutching.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

In both my A6 and my Crossfire I always shift to second and then first, even with the car completely stopped. Otherwise I find a direct shift from neutral to first to be a little sticky. By first shifting into second, I almost always have an easy slide into first.

I will admit the A6 shifts smoothly from 1st to 2nd while the Crossfire is sticky. It took me about 25k miles to finally find the spot where it slides into 2nd somewhat easily. But it still catches occasionally. I keep hoping that when I get above 30k miles it will be better broken in and shift more smoothly.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you gotta double clutch it, it really helps to align the synchros with the gears.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Forum Regular

Mine has loosened up over time and is very smooth. Going into 2nd before first though is better on the tranny and is smoother too.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gthang85
oh, when i meant downshifting into first, i really am almost at a standstill. i never downshift into first unless i'm almost at a complete stop. however, i started downshifting into first because i reside in charlottesville, virginia for most of the year, where there are hills everywhere. i actually never started downshifting into first until i actually stalled this one time when i was in second on a slightly steep hill. but thanks for the information.
Never fight the gearbox.

In my opinion the Crossfire 6MT gearbox is one of the best I've ever felt, almost as good as the legendary S2000 6MT (The S2000 has a shorter throw). Correctly made shifts slide home without effort.

The gearbox synchros on the Crossfire 6MT are sensitive to speed mismatch and the engine components are heavy. If you feel resistance when attempting to change gears , the transmission is basically locking you out. Forcing the gearbox to change against this resistance puts extraordinary wear on the shift forks and synchronizers.

If you have to downshift into first for whatever reason, you must rev match.