Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 11-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Damn, between HDDP and Latana its getting mighty interesting here. Kudos gentlemen.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAYAman
Damn, between HDDP and Latana its getting mighty interesting here. Kudos gentlemen.
Agreed, and it's about time.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's getting expensive.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

found some info on your engine, enjoy http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/mbfclk.html

sound like the M113 engine is more efficent motor than the new 4 valve M119

Last edited by Maxwell; 11-01-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:43 PM

^^^LOL trust me my friend. I know. I just finished spending over 6k just on the supercharger for my Porsche and that is without a lick of labor yet. just for the kit.

I am really serious about dropping a V8 or SRT motor into my Xfire though so I really appreciate what you guys are doing.

I've always loved cars and in my almost 22 years of driving I have owned several performance cars. Not one has stayed stock yet.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:08 AM

^^^LOL trust me my friend. I know. I just finished spending over 6k just on the supercharger for my Porsche and that is without a lick of labor yet. just for the kit.

I am really serious about dropping a V8 or SRT motor into my Xfire though so I really appreciate what you guys are doing.

I've always loved cars and in my almost 22 years of driving I have owned several performance cars. Not one has stayed stock yet.
Maxwell, Thanks for the link, that was a good read.

I am hoping to have the engine in my garage by nest weekend! Just as an FYI, I would love to see a new Hemi in one of these. The Hemi has a reasonably priced aftermarket for lots of added HP if needed. What some people may not know is that the Hemi uses a Mercedes transmission like ours but with a different bellhousing pattern. If you had a Hemi with the trans you could probably make the conversion work. I went Mercedes as this is initially less expensive and an easier bolt in. I also wanted to keep the car all Mercedes in spite of the Chrysler badges. I also think the Mercedes is better from a weight and balance standpoint. The Mercedes engine is all Aluminum while the Hemi uses a cast iron block. With the Mercedes I am only adding about 130 pounds to the front which is about the same difference between an SRT and N/A engine.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 11-02-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:18 PM

Well I am about a week behind schedule, but I did finally get the new engine loaded on a truck and it is now headed for Dallas! By this time next week I should be cleaning and detailing the engine. The engine is from a seller in Sacramento who bought a complete but wrecked 2002 CL500. The car was totaled after only 11-12 months on the road per Carfax. So I am estimating the mileage at or under 15,000.

I want to thank our forum member Ravenous who was willing to check things out and make sure I wasn't getting cheated.

Here are some pictures of the engine. If you look close you will see that it looks just like our V6's but with two more cylinders.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CL500 engine.jpg (258.1 KB, 356 views)
CL500 engine rear.jpg (226.0 KB, 243 views)
CL500 front.jpg (237.3 KB, 259 views)
Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goose bumps yet??

Old 11-09-2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Goose bumps yet??
I feel like that 40 year old kid before Christmas that has the other thread going!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:01 PM

FUN stuff... Just don't be a retard like me and start polishing and porting, it'll take you forever and you'll kill 50 Dremel tools.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
FUN stuff... Just don't be a retard like me and start polishing and porting, it'll take you forever and you'll kill 50 Dremel tools.
I am not planning on anything like that yet. I think the first step is to get it operate as if the car came with a V8 and then boost things from there. The first mod will be ECU retune and then maybe the new type HPS supercharger system that looks similar to the Kleeman.

HDDP, you you see the resemblence of the V8 to the V6?

Here is a picture of a C43 engine. Note the exhaust manifold. The look like they might bolt right up to the stock down pipes. I have located the manifolds but didn't want to buy them until I knew I had an engine. I will be buying the manifolds and electric fan soon now.

Attached Images
C43.JPG (28.1 KB, 233 views)
C43 2.JPG (29.9 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by LantanaTX; 11-09-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I am not planning on anything like that yet. I think the first step is to get it operate as if the car came with a V8 and then boost things from there. The first mod will be ECU retune and then maybe the new type HPS supercharger system that looks similar to the Kleeman.

HDDP, you you see the resemblence of the V8 to the V6?

Here is a picture of a C43 engine. Note the exhaust manifold. The look like they might bolt right up to the stock down pipes. I have located the manifolds but didn't want to buy them until I knew I had an engine. I will be buying the manifolds and electric fan soon now.
Yeah, the engine design is the same, just two added cylinders... Even the crossflow intake looks identical... I don't think you'll be able to just bolt-up anything... I would guess that you'll have to "shoe-horn" that engine into the bay, relocate the engine mounts on the frame and shim the engine to align it with your tranny... I'm concerned that you'll not have enough lenth in that engine bay... You may have to cut the firewall to make clearance for the throttle body...

Speaking of the tranny, have you verified that the bell housing is the same size, design and bolt patterns ? Even if it is... Since the engine is much longer than the V6 how are you going to get the engine to align longitudinally when you have no room to move the engine forward...

Just my humble opinion, and I might be wrong, but I think you're going to have to do a serious rebuild on the front end of the car to get that thing in there... First thing I would do before you even un-pack that engine is start making some comparison measurements... If you need me to give you the measurements of the V6 bell housing and distance of the motor mounts, I can do that fairly easily since my SRT engine is sitting on the engine stand...

Old 11-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
Yeah, the engine design is the same, just two added cylinders... Even the crossflow intake looks identical... I don't think you'll be able to just bolt-up anything... I would guess that you'll have to "shoe-horn" that engine into the bay, relocate the engine mounts on the frame and shim the engine to align it with your tranny... I'm concerned that you'll not have enough lenth in that engine bay... You may have to cut the firewall to make clearance for the throttle body...

Speaking of the tranny, have you verified that the bell housing is the same size, design and bolt patterns ? Even if it is... Since the engine is much longer than the V6 how are you going to get the engine to align longitudinally when you have no room to move the engine forward...

Just my humble opinion, and I might be wrong, but I think you're going to have to do a serious rebuild on the front end of the car to get that thing in there... First thing I would do before you even un-pack that engine is start making some comparison measurements... If you need me to give you the measurements of the V6 bell housing and distance of the motor mounts, I can do that fairly easily since my SRT engine is sitting on the engine stand...
There is actually plenty of room lengthwise (side to side is not an issue) Keep in mind that Mercedes puts four cylinder engines in the R170 chassis and that engine is the same length as a V8. Mercedes also puts V8's into very similar chassis. The only differrence I have found in the case of the four banger and V8's is that a very slim electric fan is used.

The automatic trans is the same one they also put behind V8's. I have verified that the bellhousing has the same basic bolt pattern but have not verified 100% that it is the exact same size. The Mercedes Tech that is helping me with the programming claims it will bolt right up. It will be nice if it does.

There won't be any cutting needed to the firewall. The rear of the engine will sit in the car exactly as the V6 does with everything including the throttle body in the same position. I have looked at a couple of Mercedes cars with both the 320 and 500 engines and they chissis's are the same as far as motor mounts go, so I am hopeful I can use OEM parts to bolt it in. If not, not a big deal, this is the type of work I am very used to. When my engine get here next week I may ask you for a couple of bellhousing measurements if you don't mind. I was planning on putting my car up on stands and taking more measurements as soon as I have the new engine to compare to.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:31 PM

Here is high resolution/large photo of the Startech V8 Crossfire. You can see the thinner electric fan. Everything else under the hood that is visible is in the stock location. Once the picture opens, click on it and it will get even larger.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 11-10-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Forum Regular

why isnt the grille mounted at the top or am i just blind as all hell?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by irwin
why isnt the grille mounted at the top or am i just blind as all hell?
When you open the picture click on the picture and it will get even larger. When I do this I can see the stop mouting points of the grille. I spent a lot of time studying this picture to try to see what was altered. You can see the fan is a thinner type. I have seen this fan in the C43 and a few other Mercedes.

If anyone else sees something, out of place. Please let me know, thanks.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:43 PM

I got the call from the shipping company that the engine had arrived! I picked up the engine and just finished putting it on the engine stand. I will be cleaning and inspectiing it and fixing anything that needs attention. One thing that I did notice is that two of the very small wires that are part of the harness that connects to the computer are frayed as if a rodent was munching on them. Anyone know if there is any harm in splicing in some new wire to replace these two bad spots?

Old 11-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Forum Regular

if its for a sensor that is very touchy you might have an issue due to resistance thats the only thought i have.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:26 PM

Is anyone else just going nuts with anticipation? LOL I'm like at the edge of my freakin seat. I went to my dads house over the weekend. He has a CLK430 and that car sounds so bad *** when he romps on it. If I could get that sound out of the Xfire, seriously guys its over. LOL.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:34 PM

Is anyone else just going nuts with anticipation? LOL I'm like at the edge of my freakin seat. I went to my dads house over the weekend. He has a CLK430 and that car sounds so bad *** when he romps on it. If I could get that sound out of the Xfire, seriously guys its over. LOL
You need to steal his motor!

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary