Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

VIN# won't get key that starts car

Old 11-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down VIN# won't get key that starts car

Hello,
I purchased my Crossfire back in July, it came with a keyfob that looked like it had been through hell, but it works. I went to the Chrysler dealership by me, they ordered a new key, it came, wouldn't work. It opened the doors but would not turn over the car. So they asked to send my key out. I get the call back saying they cannot make me a new key for these reasons:

1. Obviously my ignition is not the one that was originally put in the car.
2. Its laser cut and they can't make those
3.There's no way from them to program the fob since the ignition isn't the original.

So they're answer for me is to get a new ignition, door locks..etc.
I know B.S. when I hear it.

I have a fob that works to open the doors and turns the car on. The ignition key doesn't open the doors manually tho, but I have that key hanging off the fob. Soooo somehow someone made one. And its a Chrysler fob.

Any advice?
Thanks guys,
K.Fleig

Old 11-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: VIN# won't get key that starts car

I would head to a different dealer. The other thing you can do it take the new fob & replace it with the guts of the old beat up fob that does work.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Thanks. One of the parts guys found a crossfire fob with no home, so he took it apart, put my blade in it and is now trying to program it. Problem is, my mom lost the extra blade I had that manually opened the door locks. So now I get to figure out how to get a duplicate key to start the car, and one for the doors. In all honesty I just need the blade, not the fob for the door. Ugh..this whole process has been a hassle.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 PM

Yep. Same problem here. I had the "sticky ignition" problem you can see people talk about at this forum. So, the dealer wanted $600 to change the ignition. I thought I'd rather pay $150 and let my mechanic do it. So he did and we put the blade into my fob. Fine. Then later I thought I better get a duplicate key in case I lost my fob. Nope! Now I am S.O.L. Chrysler will only sell me the blade keyed to the VIN (which is NOT the ignition blade since I have a new ignition). I have tried EVERYWHERE to buy a blank blade and have someone cut it. I found one place that MIGHT have the blade, but then could never find a locksmith who would be able to cut it. I'm just **** outta luck if I loose my fob, as I would have to have a new ignition installed to be in the same boat that I'm in right now, unless I want to break down and pay Chrysler the $600 + for an ignition and blade/fob that matches my VIN.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:06 PM

i had a buddy here in camp lejuene do this but he didnt have a crossfire. he had a keyless ignition and entry put into his car for about 400$ i am abt to start looking into it but i dont know much about it. it still costs a bit but it dosnt cost as much as a new ignition put into it. and it came with a wireless remote to start ure car and unlock it. from what ive heared through several people from buying it and it bein put in is about 400-500$ it still costs a bit of money though.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried this?

Originally Posted by Shawnkey
This is straight from the Crossfire manuals supplied to the dealership, or if you are a Chrysler tech, I got it from Tech Connect.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

The Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter(s) can be programmed by the customer without special tools.
PROGRAMMING PROCEDURE

Transmitter programming by the customer is done by performing the following steps:
  1. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
  2. Press either the lock or unlock button momentarily twice.
Turn the key in the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 30 seconds.

Hope this is useful and saves you $100.

Shawn