Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Magnaflow Muffler installed today

Old 07-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Doc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow Muffler installed today

Well I promised you some photos and a review.

I installed the Stainless Magnaflow muffler this afternoon and here it is for you. photos and my review:

http://jmichael.info/Crossfireimprovements.htm

Doc in Mesa

Old 07-15-2004, 04:09 AM
Forum Regular

Doc,

10-15 BHP improvement sounds a lot. Is there much difference between the air flow design of the two silencers?

Old 07-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Forum Regular

Doc,

I am a little confused.. did you put it on a dyno after the install to see if there was any real gain or loss of horsepower?

-marc

Old 07-15-2004, 02:02 PM

http://www.eisenhaus.com/ shows 6.4% gain... which would be around there... so i can see that doc may be 100% correct! and for god sakes I hope so!!! haha

Old 07-15-2004, 03:27 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
http://www.eisenhaus.com/ shows 6.4% gain... which would be around there... so i can see that doc may be 100% correct! and for god sakes I hope so!!! haha
Your compairing apples to oragnes. That is for a full catback. We have no idea if they kept the same size pipe, added a resonator or what the design of their muffler is vs. a magnaflow.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

looks great from the back but....you need to paint that tow hook :wink:

Old 07-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Doc

Hi gang! Come on now, I didn't say it made a 10-15 hp gain, here's EXACTLY what I said...

"Maybe a little but it's hard to judge a 10-15 hp difference...really!"

No I did NOT dyno it before or after the addition of the Magnaflow muffler. On this little car just adding a stupid muffler isn't going to make much of a difference and you aught to know that. Come on now guys. It's just a muffler not a 3" custom exhaust that rumbles the neighbors windows and adds mega-ponys! (like on my 65 Shelby)

If you want to make some horses with this car just crawl under yours and look at the almost SQUASHED flat exhaust pipe that runs right under your passenger side seat. Replace that stupid excuse for an exhaust system and then maybe the motor can start to breath a little. But for mine, keep in mind this is just my wife's daily work car. I'm not getting crazy with this one. I have other toys to do that with.

As for the tow hook, I totally agree that it should be painted to hide it. I've just been buys and haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe Saturday when I'm out in the garage puttering around again.

hanks for your comments as always.

"Doc"

Old 07-15-2004, 08:07 PM

Hi Doc,

thanks for the very detailed description. I do like your web sites. Too bad you can't join us on the MHU on the 17th. I'd like to hear one of those Magnaflows in person before opting to put one under Blaze. :-)

Old 07-15-2004, 08:16 PM
Forum Regular

thanks for clearing up the confusion. As all the gearheads at work say, you change the muffler if you want a different sound, a good driver can make up for what little they offer on performance.

I think the Cyril Baldwin in Texas was the first to mount this muffler.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ight=magnaflow

Here is the exhaust mpeg that was posted

http://www.dfwsbr.com/crossfire/vide...re_exhaust.MPG

Today at work I downloaded it and ran it though our THX setup. One gearhead said it was the best V6 he had ever heard. Another said it sounded wrong. They where both Mopar heads... The third person said it sounded "american" and that the stock exhaust on our car sounds like a well tuned "european" exhaust. Another guy just smiled when he heard it (he obviouly liked it).

Sounds like You and Cyril are much happier with this sound and for a hundred bucks it is not much of a loss if you end up yanking it off to put the factory one back on...

-marc

Old 07-16-2004, 12:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My lawnmower runs at 20 BHP which means that the muffler gaining 10-15 horses isn't very noticeable at all. You may notice more torque and throttle if you added the chip for 20 more horses = 30-35 horses more from the stock

But I just love the way it sounded compared with the very refined stock sound. And I kept the stock muffler in case I wanna put it back to its original set-up...for $60 bucks

If Borla comes out better with more HP increase>30-35 HP, then I'll replace it with Borla..if the sound is right

Right now, I was just trying to enjoy more of my XFIREX Might get some of those interior blue neon lights installed from Circuit City like Boba

My wishlist....if AVIC N1 will come out with the silver trim

Old 07-16-2004, 09:28 AM

The stock system is painted black, help keep the "mechanicals invisable," I plan on painting the back end of my muffler and the hanger black. Also plan on having trim piece made to cover the opening around the muffler
and bumper cover. Probable a heavy guage (14 or 18) with luvers to let the air flow.
Looks good - sounds great.

Old 07-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo257
The stock system is painted black, help keep the "mechanicals invisable," I plan on painting the back end of my muffler and the hanger black. Also plan on having trim piece made to cover the opening around the muffler
and bumper cover. Probable a heavy guage (14 or 18) with luvers to let the air flow.
Looks good - sounds great.
your car looks great!!!! very simple and clean.

i would only suggest removing the K&N window sticker...it cheapens the car...imo. oh and paint the tow hook black. :wink:

Old 07-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member

Jinbo-
How's the sound in comparison to the stock setup??
ALSO, did you keep the sidemount resonator or remove it??
BORLA says it's going to be on the production version. Of course it's not out yet, so we will see.
How 'bout a sound clip??

Think I'm interested??????? You know it!!! :lol:

Old 07-18-2004, 04:46 PM

Put it on with the resinator. Sound has a deeper tone. Similar to the Magnaflow, but a little deeper tone.