Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Upsolute or SpeedtunningUSA Chip

Old 08-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upsolute or SpeedtunningUSA Chip

Can't make up my mind. Upsolute or Speedtunning Chip? Anydifferences?
I was going to mail my ECU to Speedtunning this week, but after reviewing all post on chipping I am not sure which one I want. Upsolute is the most popular ($425.00), but SpeedingTunning is cheaper ($325). In addition the "Local" Upsolute Rep doesn't want my business. After 3 e-mails and two phone calls, I haven't had a reply from the closest Rep - 130 miles away in Pensacola. Ill be going to the "Mountain" run Aug 29th. and hope to have the chance to take to XFire Owners who have both chips. I can stop off at Speedtunning in Md and have it done or hook up with Upsolute somwhere along my route back from Alantic City to Florida.

Would appreciate any comments or opinions.

Old 08-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Upsolute or SpeedtunningUSA Chip

Originally Posted by jimbo257
Can't make up my mind. Upsolute or Speedtunning Chip? Anydifferences?
I can stop off at Speedtunning in Md and have it done or hook up with Upsolute somwhere along my route back from Alantic City to Florida.

Would appreciate any comments or opinions.
I'm biased, but I haven't driven a SpeedTune'd Crossfire. REDCROSS has SpeedTuning and should be at the "Mountain Run".

You could hook up with Rene in North Carolina, if he'd do Bobba driving all the way to him from Michigan, I'm sure he'd be happy to work with you.

Old 08-08-2004, 02:54 PM

David thanks for the reply.
I talked to Rene @ Upsolute in June, tried to schedule my car with him in July. He told me to call the guy in Pensacola. I was planning to heading north in late July, but delayed until Aug. I hope to look to REDCROSS and yours at the Mountain run. Then I'll decide, leaning toward Speedtunning right now. Speedtunning seems to have more experience and wants my businesss more. I'd do Upsolute if Rene does it, but don't want someone who won't return my calls or e-mails to do it, don't know if he has ever done one before. Speedtunning took the time to explian the process and thell me how to remove & ship my ECU. But, if Upsolute is bettter I'll try to get Rene to do it. From what I've read they seem to be about the equal. I always try to get the best.

Was hoping for a reply from someone with Crossfire performance data.
I know REDCROSS is happy with Speedtunning and you and most Upsolute customers are happy with Upsolute, seems to be some people problems.

Old 08-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Banned

Besides 25% less and you have to mail and do yourself no difference performance wise.But since you're installing it yourself ST has less liability !That's probably why they are less $.

Old 08-08-2004, 03:58 PM

Thanks Dan. No matter which one I do I'll do it "in person." Will only ship the ECU if I have a problem after the initial install. Which I hope won't be needed. Was going to send my ECU to Speedtunning last week, but decided to wait since I'll be passing thru Maryland - he will remove & install the ECU - same price. Also be passing thru Charloette NC so could have it done by Rene if he's there.

The only reason he refered me to Pensacola was he wasn't going to be there and he figured it would be better for me to do it closer to home in case I have a problem and need it redone. He did offer to do it in Atlanta, where he was going to be on business. But, I wasn't and still dont plan on going thru Atlanta. As it tuned out I delayed my trip to NJ until Aug. Had some business in Jacksonville the last week of July.

Old 08-08-2004, 09:26 PM
RGT

Not all of the companies would provide me with numbers when I was researching which to get. (I guess they didn't need my money!)

But judging from those that did, the results are pretty much the same all across the board.

I say go with the one you trust and/or can afford.

I had UPsolute Toronto do mine, and I'm quite happy with Gary's work. (Yes, I went all the way to another country to get mine done, still it was a shorter trip than Bobafettm took for his!)

Matt

Old 08-09-2004, 01:36 PM

Thanks Matt, I guess its a toss up. I'll definately have it done "in person," that way I'll know it works when I leave the shop and once its done I don't think I'll have any problems. I worry about the ECU getting damaged if I ship it. Don't know what a replacement ECU costs, but I bet it isn't cheap.

Old 08-09-2004, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo257
Thanks Matt, I guess its a toss up. I'll definately have it done "in person," that way I'll know it works when I leave the shop and once its done I don't think I'll have any problems. I worry about the ECU getting damaged if I ship it. Don't know what a replacement ECU costs, but I bet it isn't cheap.
Well, there's that of course, plus your car is F.O.R.D.-dead until the ECU comes back. Being a daily driver, I couldn't take that chance when I was looking at chipping mine. Didn't know about SpeedTuning back then, I only knew of Upsolute, RennTech, and PowerChip. Upsolute was local, others were via mail.

I had a similar experience to you with one local Upsolute rep though. I called and emailed the Upsolute Woodbridge rep and never heard back. The Upsolute Fairfax rep emailed me back right away, got the data file from Sonny (the guy Wes Michaels used), and I had mine done in under a week later. The process took about 15 minutes, then he had me take it for a test drive without even asking for payment or a credit card # or anything (I coulda just drove away and all he'd have was an email address). Needless to say, I was impressed and satisfied and happy to pay. He's since offered me 1/2 price for custom intake and custom exhaust systems if he can prototype with my car, but I'm more concerned about warranty there than with a ECU re-programming (those changes would be highly visible and OBVIOUS any time I took car in for service). Probably after my 3/36 warranty runs out I might do something.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:38 PM

I'll probably go with Speedtunning as I'll be passing within about 30 Miles of them on my way north. Besides I like the little red Pickup on their web site.

Like all businesses you got the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Seems like most Upsolute Reps are good.

Old 08-10-2004, 06:51 PM
RGT

Most, yes.
I went to Canada to get mine done because nobody (UPsolute reps) closer would answer my e-mails or they "specialize" in some other make.

Still, it was a pleasant drive there, a fast professional installation, and a really fun drive back home!!!

Matt

Old 08-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member

Since we have that "Seat-ot-the-pants" happiness.........maybe Dave and I need to switch cars for five minutes and let our buns see if they feel a difference.
I still think a run to one of the local drag strips would be the best!!
I have mentioned before that I had my TNB done and was so impressed I returned to the same man.
Who is really the BEST...............who really knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-17-2004, 11:20 AM

I've got an appointment with Oliver (SpeedtunningUSA) in Spencerville, Maryland on Aug 27th. Don't know for sure but after reading all I could and reviewing all the posts here I decided they are about the same. Still havent gotten a reply from the Upsolute Rep either.

Old 08-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member

Gunner- A new XFi member just had his Black Coupe AutoStick done by Oliver (ST-USA) yesterday.................I'll see him Friday at the A&W and get his impressions.
BTW Jimbo you could spend the Friday night here in Southern Maryland, Hang-Out Friday night at the A&W and cruize with us over to the start point for the Mountain Run on Saturday morning (that would make four in our convoy) :idea:
I would even be willing to throw a towel on the floor for you to stay here.
Seriously.........60" HDTV, 5.1 Dolby DVD, your own bedroom with King Size Bed in a Non-Smoking House (except the fireplace during the winter) just the regular old basic homestead of a poor retired GI..........................
We can even put your XF in the Garage or under the Carport.........
Or, if you prefer there are Motels here.............we aren't that far off the beaten path!! :lol:
PM me if it sounds like a winner. :roll:

Old 08-23-2004, 12:39 AM

Why aren't you gius considering Powerchip?

Is there something I don't know?

I'm very happy with mine, it's definetely faster, I haven't been able to race another XFire (there are so few down here) but I raced some cars before and after and the difference is big, if not huge.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by MEXICANCROSSFIRE

I'm very happy with mine, it's definetely faster, I haven't been able to race another XFire (there are so few down here) but I raced some cars before and after and the difference is big, if not huge.
The primary resistance to Powerchip seems to be having to take your ECU out yourself, mail it to them, and put it back in yourself. A lot of DIY work for people who may not want to get down to the nuts and bolts level like that. Plus, if anything goes wrong, what do you do? You have noone local to call, no place you can take your car (unless you drive to CA), etc.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:38 AM

Do the upsolute thing. Are you really going to miss $125? I have had my car chipped for 2 weeks now. You can really feel the difference over stock. It takes less than a half hour and you are on the road enjoying it.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by David Burns
Originally Posted by MEXICANCROSSFIRE

The primary resistance to Powerchip seems to be having to take your ECU out yourself, mail it to them, and put it back in yourself. A lot of DIY work for people who may not want to get down to the nuts and bolts level like that. Plus, if anything goes wrong, what do you do? You have noone local to call, no place you can take your car (unless you drive to CA), etc.
You have a good point there, in my case things were different, they sent me the protection board and the program via E-Mail (we may become a Powerchip dealer in Mexico).

So I did it myself, removng the ECU takes about 3 minutes, desoldering the chip about 1 minute, programming the new one about 5, soldering all back together about 10 and putting the ECU back inthe car another 3.

So it took me about 22 minutes to have my car back on the road, I'm very happy with this mod.

I understand it will take 3 days for you to be able to drive your car again (you send your ECU today, you get it back the day after tomorrow), if you can do it over a holiday or program it, I highly recommend it.

And there's very little chance of comething going wrong, I've chipped many cars and I have never seen anything go wrong when it's done properly.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Banned

Actually powerchip is $695 here and maybe $50 CFF discount.

Old 08-23-2004, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
Actually powerchip is $695 here and maybe $50 CFF discount.
That's true, but I believe in the saying "You get what you pay for".

I don't know the other brands, but Powerchip is a very reputable company that has been around for a long time.

They really put a lot of effort into the R&D of chips, that's why the have a limited number of applications, I have seen in the past companys that have a chip for every car sold, how much R&D is there?

Old 08-23-2004, 03:27 PM

I can tell you that Upsolute is awesome with fantastic support. But spend your money where you feel is best for you.

Quick Reply: Upsolute or SpeedtunningUSA Chip