Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Rear Camera

Old 08-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Camera

I have noticed that several people have added the Pioneer GPS head unit. Has anyone installed the rear view camera option? If so where did you mount the unit and what camera did you use?

Old 08-09-2004, 10:10 PM

Funny you should ask that question because as I was looking at some of the posts tonite, I saw that SYTECH has "backup camera" listed in the signature block. I was thinking of contacting him because with the roadster top up, you can't see anything behind. I was looking for the camera in his gallery and thought I saw something in a backup light, but nothing else.
Ray, if you read this post, can you give us some details.

Old 08-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear Camera

Originally Posted by CalgaryX
I have noticed that several people have added the Pioneer GPS head unit. Has anyone installed the rear view camera option? If so where did you mount the unit and what camera did you use?
I saw a picture here somewhere of the rear of a Crossfire with two cameras mounted. They were in the panel area between the license plate well and the tail light assemblies, so that they were slightly angled out. I guess that was to provide a full 180 degree view. Can't recall now who it was or what they had for a display unit. Try the search tool?

Old 08-10-2004, 03:06 PM

Check out Biggjay's photo album, there is a post on Nav & Rear Cameras. in Tech & Mods

Old 08-10-2004, 08:47 PM

Hi Lee,

I have the Pioneer AVIC N1 (AM/FM/CD/MP3/DVD) complete with voice command module and backup camera

I did not go with the pioneer backup camera

I went with a model SV-5600 PC-F from a company called Plate Cam

They produce a backup camera that is mounted as part of the rear license frame

Big problem once I had it in hand was that the top of the license plate mounts about 2 inches away from the license plate mount area and pretty well prevents you from using the rear hatch latch

I decided to remove the 2 inch extension off the back of the license plate frame so the frame would mount flush, but then found out that the license plate frame was to tall and the camera view was partially blocked by the lower portion of the rear hatch

I spent $210.00 for the license plate backup camera and since I had modified the frame there was no way to return the unit so I removed the camera from the frame assembly, bought a crossfire license plate frame, cut a hole thru the top of my license plate and part of the license plate frame and everything mounted up great

May not be picture perfect, but it works, its secure, its waterproof, and it provides a good view

I have it set up to come on only when I'm in reverse, but it can be set to come on (while driving) upon demand thru the pioneer touch screen
instead

I'll put some pictures up tonight in my gallery so you can see how it is mounted

Later

Ray

Old 08-11-2004, 02:06 AM

Ray, thanks for the input. I'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures. I won't have the Xfire for about four weeks but am anticipating poor rear view since my Sebring is no great shakes and it has more glass than the Xfire.