Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

'04 Crossfire left me stranded

Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Crossfire left me stranded

So I was at work today and decided to pick up some Chipotle. I was in there for no more than 10 minutes getting my order and came back to the car, turn the ignition and it immediately shut down but all the electronics and dashboard lights stayed on.

I tried starting it again and absolutely nothing. I had a co-worker come pick me up and a few hours later I came back and tried to get her to turn over but again nothing. What's puzzling is I had to signs of any issues (no check engine lights, no studdering, no other shut offs).

I was reading the forums and it maybe is the CPS or the RCM. Any clue what the hell happened.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Received 558 Likes on 469 Posts
Default Re: '04 Crossfire left me stranded

Originally Posted by flexfanatic
So I was at work today and decided to pick up some Chipotle. I was in there for no more than 10 minutes getting my order and came back to the car, turn the ignition and it immediately shut down but all the electronics and dashboard lights stayed on.

I tried starting it again and absolutely nothing. I had a co-worker come pick me up and a few hours later I came back and tried to get her to turn over but again nothing. What's puzzling is I had to signs of any issues (no check engine lights, no studdering, no other shut offs).

I was reading the forums and it maybe is the CPS or the RCM. Any clue what the hell happened.
Give exact and detailed symptoms of problem if you want an answer.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Give exact and detailed symptoms of problem if you want an answer.
I purchased a OBDII scanner and it returned no trouble codes. I checked the battery terminals just to make sure they were seated properly and there was no corrosion.

When I try to get it to start I mean there is nothing happening except after a few seconds when I hear three clicks. I should also note that at no time before it did not start did I have idling issues, acceleration issues, or a issue starting the car.

Last edited by flexfanatic; 03-30-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

First thing is the battery good? Cover the basics first. Is the battery fully charged, have you tried to jump start with another car?

Old 03-31-2013, 07:25 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't just look at the battery terminals. Take them off and clean them and put them back on. Too many people make the mistake of well they look clean. Doesn't mean they are making a good ground. It has happened to me many time over the years. It really is hard to believe this can be the problem, but it usually is...good luck

Old 03-31-2013, 01:36 PM

I tried jumping with my SUV and it's a no go. I took off the battery terminal and cleaned them up (not much to clean actually) and since I had the battery disconnected I went ahead and popped out the RCM. Maybe it's because the car only has 43,000 miles on it but it looks flawless.

Pretty sure the part # for the RCM is posted here on the forum but for those looking it's A 170 545 03 05

Wondering if my next bet is the CPS @ https://www.germanautosupply.com/sto...sensor-82.html

Old 03-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Don't just look at the battery terminals. Take them off and clean them and put them back on. Too many people make the mistake of well they look clean. Doesn't mean they are making a good ground. It has happened to me many time over the years. It really is hard to believe this can be the problem, but it usually is...good luck

I have to agree with the olde man, with all the electrical wiring I've done in my car, underglow, subs, stereo, big 3 upgrade. 9 times out of 10 the issue has been a ground connection.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flexfanatic
I tried jumping with my SUV and it's a no go. I took off the battery terminal and cleaned them up (not much to clean actually) and since I had the battery disconnected I went ahead and popped out the RCM. Maybe it's because the car only has 43,000 miles on it but it looks flawless.

Pretty sure the part # for the RCM is posted here on the forum but for those looking it's A 170 545 03 05

Wondering if my next bet is the CPS @ https://www.germanautosupply.com/sto...sensor-82.html
Don't just trust the unaided eye when checking the RCM solder joints. Mine looked great until I looked at them under magnification. Then I could see the cracks around the posts. You might want to check them again if you didn't use magnification.

RL

Old 04-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[quote=flexfanatic;732312]I tried jumping with my SUV and it's a no go. I took off the battery terminal and cleaned them up (not much to clean actually) and since I had the battery disconnected I went ahead and popped out the RCM. Maybe it's because the car only has 43,000 miles on it but it looks flawless.

Wondering if my next bet is the CPS @ https://www.germanautosupply.com/sto...ition-sensor-8
Sounds like you are not getting power to the starter motor, check those connections if you can, Possibly the starter is shot.

Last edited by JEFASOLD; 04-01-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 PM

I just got home this evening and it's dark already but I put the RCM back in (took less than 5 minutes) and I decided to try to start it and this time the engine fired up and then immediately back off again. I did this twice (while also trying giving it a little pump of the accelerator) and on the third time I got nothing again.

I'll take the RCM with me to work tomorrow and give it the once over again.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

disconnect your battery.. and try again.. then STOP and search for skreem module..

Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
disconnect your battery.. and try again.. then STOP and search for skreem module..
You may be on to something. I had time to do a little troubleshooting after I got home today and if I disconnect the battery and then reconnect it will at least crank and the engine will come on few a few seconds.

Crank it again and it stays on for about one second. Try it again and nothing unless I repeat the process of disconnecting the battery and sure enough it will start for a few seconds.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:49 PM

It may be dealer time..

Please don't continue as "rumor" has it after 30 failed starts the ECU does a mission impossible.. as in self destruct.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Forum Regular

There are a few of the relay boxes up on ebay. Found one here that looks good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221215343734?item=221215343734&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Old 04-16-2013, 05:21 PM

You do realize you don't get "cranking" with a bad RCM right?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:42 AM

You were right. It ended up being the Skreem Module. I took it to the dealer and after them having my car for a week and a half (had to order the parts) they tell me that I have to get new keys. I went back and forth with them about how much bull that was but the refused to service the car until I got new keys programmed.

Thank goodness the ECU was not bad but I just left the dealer and guess what, my fuel gauge is not working (needle is sitting below the "E").

Not a happy camper as now I need to call and rip them a new one.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Thanks for updating your situation!

They seem to be more active in the "failure" department lately.

You always have to wonder did they even try to recover the "secrete code" in the old skreem module to avoid new key purchase..

Oh.. did you get your old module? Some of our resident hackers might be interested in looking into the guts on these things..

Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Did not keep the old module. I got to take a look at it and I should have kept it. What's funny is the new one shows a $400 cost to me (got me on labor though).

Car was throwing like seven different trouble codes due to the Skreem Module.

Thanks for updating your situation!

They seem to be more active in the "failure" department lately.

You always have to wonder did they even try to recover the "secrete code" in the old skreem module to avoid new key purchase..

Oh.. did you get your old module? Some of our resident hackers might be interested in looking into the guts on these things..

Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 499 Likes on 344 Posts

Just curious..
Ive read about the Skreem Module here over the years
Where exactly is this module located and what is it's purpose
?

I'm glad you got your car fixed

Old 05-09-2013, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by VALK
Just curious..
Ive read about the Skreem Module here over the years
Where exactly is this module located and what is it's purpose ?

I'm glad you got your car fixed
I'm sure 180 will jump in with full technical details..
Layman's version.. It reads the RFID chip and tells everything else "it's cool.. we're not being stolen"..
From what I've gathered in shots of it.. looks like it's buried up under the dash over the steering column ..

And there you have the qickie Okie version..

Quick Reply: '04 Crossfire left me stranded