Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

FYI - Water Pumps

Old 03-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI - Water Pumps

So - a side note on water pumps. I won't put a junk water pump in my car, and as such this was quite a search for a new one as i didn't want a Chinese part.

After quite some investigation, and hands on inspection, I was able to see that:

A) The Bosch water pump is now made in China. It used to be USA. All of the samples of this water pump appeared to be horrible. Stamped impeller

B) The GMB water pump was also made in China by a different maker than the Bosch. It had more sharp edges, but appeared to be better made. It used a cast iron vane for it's impeller.

C) Saleri water pump was made in Italy. Easily the best of these three pumps.

D) End users reported having to modify the Graf water pump to get it to work. I'm not certain why, or if the saleri will also need this attention. If so, I will post pics.

E) The Gates pump was also made in China and was blatantly a GMB pump rebranded.

Last edited by vectorsc; 03-11-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: FYI - Water Pumps

Originally Posted by vectorsc
A) The Bosch water pump is now made in China. It used to be USA.
Are you sure about this? Why would American Bosch have made anything for this car?

Old 03-11-2014, 06:37 PM

I went hands on with 3 of the Bosch pumps at pep-boys. The first one said "Made in USA", the second two said "Made in China".

They all looked to be exactly identical pumps, so they may have all been China and someone just marked box 1 wrong. They were all clearly the appropriate pump for the 3.2L merc. All pumps I have handled appear to be identical at this point.

Added data about the Gates pump.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I went hands on with 3 of the Bosch pumps at pep-boys. The first one said "Made in USA", the second two said "Made in China".

They all looked to be exactly identical pumps, so they may have all been China and someone just marked box 1 wrong. They were all clearly the appropriate pump for the 3.2L merc. All pumps I have handled appear to be identical at this point.

Added data about the Gates pump.
Interesting. Yeah I'm pretty sure the stock one has german writing on it. I'll have to look at my old one.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Received 556 Likes on 468 Posts

So - a side note on water pumps. I won't put a junk water pump in my car, and as such this was quite a search for a new one as i didn't want a Chinese part.

After quite some investigation, and hands on inspection, I was able to see that:

A) The Bosch water pump is now made in China. It used to be USA. All of the samples of this water pump appeared to be horrible. Stamped impeller

B) The GMB water pump was also made in China by a different maker than the Bosch. It had more sharp edges, but appeared to be better made. It used a cast iron vane for it's impeller.

C) Saleri water pump was made in Italy. Easily the best of these three pumps.

D) End users reported having to modify the Graf water pump to get it to work. I'm not certain why, or if the saleri will also need this attention. If so, I will post pics.

E) The Gates pump was also made in China and was blatantly a GMB pump rebranded.
I think that a stamped impeller may be preferable to a cast one, the old cast impellers I've seen were really crude. I have a pump with a stamped impeller and it looks fine to me.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My current is a stamped impeller and is the original that came with the motor and has German markings

Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 PM

The new saleri was stamped too. I'll bet the stamped impeller.is.easier to .get right.