Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

run away starter

Old 08-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default run away starter

Hey guys, I've looked and not see this yet. so heres the story.

Drove 30 miles all fine, stopped for 10 mins then drove 3 miles, car died. on trying to restart, starter engages with key in ON position, no attempt to run, no longer need clutch to make starter engage and when you turn the key on the radio comes on with the starter.

Ok lot of things happend at once. I've exposed the ignition modual the switch is dash mounted but it goes into the steering colum from there. I've changed crank sensor just because, batt is good enough to move the car in 1st gear. But the runaway starter and the radio coming on is tossing me a curve

Jess

Old 08-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: run away starter

Originally Posted by Cptironjackcash
Hey guys, I've looked and not see this yet. so heres the story.

Drove 30 miles all fine, stopped for 10 mins then drove 3 miles, car died. on trying to restart, starter engages with key in ON position, no attempt to run, no longer need clutch to make starter engage and when you turn the key on the radio comes on with the starter.

Ok lot of things happend at once. I've exposed the ignition modual the switch is dash mounted but it goes into the steering colum from there. I've changed crank sensor just because, batt is good enough to move the car in 1st gear. But the runaway starter and the radio coming on is tossing me a curve

Jess
I'm guessing a stuck starter solenoid.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Car died with switch on. So, I would think it would burn the starter up in that case. On re-start, you turned the key back on, and starter engaged with or without the clutch disengaged? And, the radio turned on? Isn't there a safety switch on the clutch arm, that doesn't allow the starter to engage unless the clutch is disengaged? I don't own a clutch/stick XF, but I would think it would have one of these. This certainly wouldn't explain it dying or the radio coming on though. First time hearing of this problem. But if that switch does exist and it shorted, maybe...???

Last edited by oledoc2u; 08-03-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I'm guessing a stuck starter solenoid.
THen it would crank continously without the key. (Page 8W-20-2 - assuming the manual is accurate, that is.)

The only explanation (AGAIN, assuming the manual is accurate) is that the key switch itself is bad, but that STILL does not explain that it cranks without pushing the clutch pedal.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
THen it would crank continously without the key. (Page 8W-20-2 - assuming the manual is accurate, that is.)

The only explanation (AGAIN, assuming the manual is accurate) is that the key switch itself is bad, but that STILL does not explain that it cranks without pushing the clutch pedal.
I just looked at the circuit diagram and agree.
Suppose the clutch interlock switch failed some time back and you had not noticed that you did not need to push in the clutch pedal, and then the iggy switch shorted out in the ON position when the problem started?
The radio would come on and the short would turn the starter.