Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Two Engine Issues: “Stuttering” and “Semi-Stalling"

Old 03-04-2015, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Two Engine Issues: “Stuttering” and “Semi-Stalling"

Basic info on car:
2006 Base Crossfire with 94,000 miles.
Owned since Dec. 2009 at 54,000 miles.
Oil change at 93,000 miles.
Regular service intervals at Goodyear.

There are two issues that need to be addressed with my crossfire.

The most pressing issue is that the engine will “stutter” during varying levels of acceleration and has occurred intermittently over the past two weeks. By "intermittently", I mean from a cold startup, it will usually happen less than five times (city driving) and will usually stop once the engine is up to a steady temperature. The feeling it gives is that the engine isn’t receiving the correct amount of fuel. It’s less of a “stall-like” vibrational feeling (low engine speed) and more like a very restrictive traction control (throttle/power being limited). I’ve tried using a different brand of gasoline to fill the tank (BP instead of Wawa) and the problem still persists. I don’t know if it ranges anywhere from fuel injectors to the fuel pump. My guess to the problem is that something in the fuel system is “clogged” and/or is worn. I could also be something else like some sort of “slipping" in the drivetrain or an air or electronics issue.

The second and less pressing issue has occurred over the past two years and only happens when the engine hasn’t reached a steady operating temperature. When starting off from a standstill in first gear (manual transmission), the engine is prone to "stall-like" vibrations, unless I’m very slow and careful with the gas and clutch pedal. When the engine is up to temperature, normal gas and clutch action produces no "stall-like” symptoms at all. Maybe my gas and clutch skills are lacking, but I had the car for 3 years prior to this issue and had no such problem, so I don't think that is the case. I was wondering what else could be causing this issue. By the time I reach an auto service shop, the engine is up to temperature and there are no symptoms to show to the mechanics. This is why I haven’t addressed this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Two Engine Issues: “Stuttering” and “Semi-Stalling"

Originally Posted by IIII Juice IIII
Basic info on car:
2006 Base Crossfire with 94,000 miles.
Owned since Dec. 2009 at 54,000 miles.
Oil change at 93,000 miles.
Regular service intervals at Goodyear.

There are two issues that need to be addressed with my crossfire.

The most pressing issue is that the engine will “stutter” during varying levels of acceleration and has occurred intermittently over the past two weeks. By "intermittently", I mean from a cold startup, it will usually happen less than five times (city driving) and will usually stop once the engine is up to a steady temperature. The feeling it gives is that the engine isn’t receiving the correct amount of fuel. It’s less of a “stall-like” vibrational feeling (low engine speed) and more like a very restrictive traction control (throttle/power being limited). I’ve tried using a different brand of gasoline to fill the tank (BP instead of Wawa) and the problem still persists. I don’t know if it ranges anywhere from fuel injectors to the fuel pump. My guess to the problem is that something in the fuel system is “clogged” and/or is worn. I could also be something else like some sort of “slipping" in the drivetrain or an air or electronics issue.

The second and less pressing issue has occurred over the past two years and only happens when the engine hasn’t reached a steady operating temperature. When starting off from a standstill in first gear (manual transmission), the engine is prone to "stall-like" vibrations, unless I’m very slow and careful with the gas and clutch pedal. When the engine is up to temperature, normal gas and clutch action produces no "stall-like” symptoms at all. Maybe my gas and clutch skills are lacking, but I had the car for 3 years prior to this issue and had no such problem, so I don't think that is the case. I was wondering what else could be causing this issue. By the time I reach an auto service shop, the engine is up to temperature and there are no symptoms to show to the mechanics. This is why I haven’t addressed this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I had similar problems on another car and it turned out to be the fuel pump. The pressure was not high enough and it had trouble supplying the extra fuel required when the engine was cold, basically that meant the car was trying to run without the aid of the choke that was used in the old cars. When the car was warm it was more or less OK except when trying to accelerate rapidly.
As I recall the psi from the pump was way less than 20psi and it should have been over 55psi. I tried all sorts of things but in the end I gave up, the GM mechanic found the cause in five minutes flat. A new pump and I was a happy guy.

I would imagine a blocked filter could cause the same problems. Have the fuel pump pressure checked and if it is the pump then you should replace the filter while you are at it unless it was changed recently.