Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Code P0171 - Intake Manifold needs replaced.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code P0171 - Intake Manifold needs replaced.

I am getting code P0171 and the dealer has informed my that the Intake Manifold is corroded in some areas and that is causing the code. What performance issues can i expect to see with a leak in the Intake Manifold?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Code P0171 - Intake Manifold needs replaced.

Oh, I'd love to see pictures!

Old 05-14-2015, 07:28 AM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You probably only need a intake manifold gasket,and I am sure if you got a intake manifold leak you got a high or rough idle

Old 05-14-2015, 08:08 AM

Well, sorry, i don't have any pics, its put back together and i'm dirving it until the parts come in. the Idle seems ok, acceleration seems a bit delayed, but that could just be me over analyzing everything right now because of the P0171 code.

The tech did say it has something to do with where the intake and PVC meet up. I was multitasking so i was only half listening to what he was saying, but i do know they ordered the full replacement Intake Manifold, unless of course a gasket costs $1495.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmirehman
Well, sorry, i don't have any pics, its put back together and i'm dirving it until the parts come in. the Idle seems ok, acceleration seems a bit delayed, but that could just be me over analyzing everything right now because of the P0171 code.

The tech did say it has something to do with where the intake and PVC meet up. I was multitasking so i was only half listening to what he was saying, but i do know they ordered the full replacement Intake Manifold, unless of course a gasket costs $1495.
If someone mentioned a cost to me of $1,495 they would get my sole attention immediately.
My guess is you are being robbed, but it's your money.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:26 AM

Well i can look up the part number and find out but in the past all the prices i've been quoted for other things matched what the parts site showed. I have a Mopar Service contract on it so i only have a $100 deductible which is why the cost doesn't bother me. And if they were ripping me off or trying to get labor hours out of the service contract i would think they would want to "fix" way more than I bring it in for which is never the case so as far as dealerships go, i trust them.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:20 AM

Well i can look up the part number and find out but in the past all the prices i've been quoted for other things matched what the parts site showed. I have a Mopar Service contract on it so i only have a $100 deductible which is why the cost doesn't bother me. And if they were ripping me off or trying to get labor hours out of the service contract i would think they would want to "fix" way more than I bring it in for which is never the case so as far as dealerships go, i trust them.
You never mentioned the $100 cost before so ...............

But if they suddenly tell you the contract does not cover this item what I said still stands. Dealers do not have the final say in what is and isn't covered.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You never mentioned the $100 cost before so ...............

But if they suddenly tell you the contract does not cover this item what I said still stands. Dealers do not have the final say in what is and isn't covered.

Yes i understand, my post wasn't about the cost of the part, just what performance issues i might experience with this air leak in the manifold. i only mentioned the price since i assumed it was for the actual manifold not a gasket. the only Crossfire tech at my dealership knows to get parts approval and then call me with what needs to be done and what is covered and what isn't before going ahead with ordering and/or repairing.

Plus, per the service plan PDF:

"COMPONENTS COVERED BY THE PLAN INCLUDE (BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO):
GASOLINE ENGINE: Cylinder Block and all Internal Parts; Cylinder Head Assemblies; Timing Case, Timing Chain, Timing Belt,
Gears and Sprockets; Variable Valve Timing Solenoids and Actuators; Harmonic Balancer; Oil Pump, Water Pump and Housing;
Intake and Exhaust Manifolds; Flywheel with Starter Ring Gear; Core Plugs; Valve Covers; Oil Pan; Turbocharger Housing and
Internal Parts; Turbocharger Wastegate Actuator; Supercharger; Fuel Injectors (excluding clogged injectors); Serpentine Belt
Tensioner; Seals and Gaskets"

Old 05-14-2015, 12:10 PM
Forum Regular

so as far as dealerships go, i trust them.
I just shot drink out my nose. Ha Ha

Old 05-14-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Travish
I just shot drink out my nose. Ha Ha

I'm not saying they arent shady, what i meant is the pricing on the web vs what the quotes they give me are in line with each other. As stated, i have a service contract on this car as well as my wife's Charger so it doesn't concern me with what they charge.

I've purchased 4 cars from my Dealer and they all know me on a first name basis. They have no incentive to try to screw me over because they know i will eventually buy another car and they want my business. Of course it may help that when i had my 2011 Charger, I had so many problems with it that Chrysler Corp got involved and my tech had a direct line to their corp tech for everything i had issues so my account might be flagged at the dealership with a "be nice to this guy" note.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not saying they arent shady, what i meant is the pricing on the web vs what the quotes they give me are in line with each other. As stated, i have a service contract on this car as well as my wife's Charger so it doesn't concern me with what they charge.

I've purchased 4 cars from my Dealer and they all know me on a first name basis. They have no incentive to try to screw me over because they know i will eventually buy another car and they want my business. Of course it may help that when i had my 2011 Charger, I had so many problems with it that Chrysler Corp got involved and my tech had a direct line to their corp tech for everything i had issues so my account might be flagged at the dealership with a "be nice to this guy" note.
Be nice to this guy flag? I wouldnt bank on that. These extended warranty companies which are mostly under one umbrella, it has been my experience that they will pay out only when challenged and not after they have their own appraiser over ride what the trained tech says it needs. The dealer will play the, its still within tolerance game to smoothe things as well being caught in the middle. I got your same code to which this thread is about today in my SSB limited roadster. Still runs smoothe, idles well, although the code refers to the intake, it would most likely be the gasket and not the manifold itself after checking all hoses for cracks, which is where I will begin after reading ALL of the threads here on this excellent forum...peace..

Last edited by Fla_Xfire_SRT; 08-26-2015 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-26-2015, 07:20 PM

My service contract was purchased directly from Chrysler. It's not third party . I've never had them turn down any repair or replacement costs. They know I have a service contract. I Take it right in, often call me back the same day with the issue and when it will be ready . I don't have to argue or haggle with anyone about coverage. I can't speak for third party service contracts, but Mopar protection plans are top notch.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Forum Regular

Well then, carte Blanche seems good with the manufacturers warranty. I wasn't surprised too much after getting the code printout having 41 thou miles and a non renewed rcm board. Good luck with your new non corroded intake. Can u send pictures of it?..peace

Old 08-26-2015, 08:32 PM

No resolution yet?
I think this code does not apply to your manifold anyway.

P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1) ) faulty air mass flow sensor

Old 09-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Forum Regular

I did get that code...but guess what....lol...I discovered that I had left the oil cap off when this code came up..had to buy another one...will run it again with the oil cap on when I get my repaired RCM back next week. Doooh!!...my bad I hope.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
No resolution yet?
I think this code does not apply to your manifold anyway.

P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1) ) faulty air mass flow sensor
Bump ...................