Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Is my battery failing and what to replace it with?

Old 08-31-2017, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my battery failing and what to replace it with?

I have been experiencing slow/weak crank when starting the car. The guy I bought it from works at pep boys, iirc he said he replaced the battery within the last year. I went to AutoZone and had them test my battery and alternator and they said they are both good.

Went across the street to hardware store to get a nut for my windhsield wiper (I used it for my alarm siren) and when I went out there to start it, it cranked really weak and stopped. And I turned it off and started it the next time.

I went to O'Reilly and and they tested it. They said both are good, he said battery was slightly weak (93/100).

I have a vacuum leak from the passenger side breather hose (ordered oil catch can from needs wings) I doubt this would cause weak crank though.

I have read that the car is sensitive to weak battery and I should just replace it. Correct? Somewhere I read not to use certain type batteries (only OEM? Don't use OEM?)

I was going to get one at Walmart because they have 5 year warranty 3 free and 2 pro rated. I assume as long as I make sure it isn't one that's been sitting it should be okay?

Last but not least, I do have an aftermarket sound system. And my amp/sub hasn't been working. It's a crossfire 12" subwoofer XT2 (1000 watt competition sub) with a gravity amp gpower 1300.2.

What do you guys think?

Old 08-31-2017, 04:20 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: Is my battery failing and what to replace it with?

Any more I only buy AGMs and the best deal I found last year was a Sears Diehard Gold AGM. Was a bit less a year ago so your price may vary particularly if you have any coupons.

OTOH I have had a failing starter or a resistive starter wire (they get corroded under the insulation - had to replace my ground wire last year) act the same way. One check is if the lights get really dim during cranking it may be the battery, if not then something else.I'd check to see how much the starter is pulling vs the spec and whether any connections get hot when you try to crank before buying a battery.

ps I see white (copper sulphate) around the negative terminal and on the negative wire.

Last edited by Padgett; 08-31-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:05 PM
Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Just looking at that pic, doesn't look like much care was taken with that car for the owner to be a mechanic.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dylan07
I have been experiencing slow/weak crank when starting the car. The guy I bought it from works at pep boys, iirc he said he replaced the battery within the last year. I went to AutoZone and had them test my battery and alternator and they said they are both good.

Went across the street to hardware store to get a nut for my windhsield wiper (I used it for my alarm siren) and when I went out there to start it, it cranked really weak and stopped. And I turned it off and started it the next time.

I went to O'Reilly and and they tested it. They said both are good, he said battery was slightly weak (93/100).

I have a vacuum leak from the passenger side breather hose (ordered oil catch can from needs wings) I doubt this would cause weak crank though.

I have read that the car is sensitive to weak battery and I should just replace it. Correct? Somewhere I read not to use certain type batteries (only OEM? Don't use OEM?)

I was going to get one at Walmart because they have 5 year warranty 3 free and 2 pro rated. I assume as long as I make sure it isn't one that's been sitting it should be okay?

Last but not least, I do have an aftermarket sound system. And my amp/sub hasn't been working. It's a crossfire 12" subwoofer XT2 (1000 watt competition sub) with a gravity amp gpower 1300.2.

What do you guys think?
First place to start is at the battery itself remove terminals thoroughly clean and inspect all connections including the one at the fender for the ground. Reassemble everything and see if that helps. Probably a good idea to either charge the battery while you're cleaning everything or drive it for a little while after you clean and reassemble everything in order to charge the battery back to a full state. Keep us updated 😉