Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Alarm

Old 09-15-2021, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm

Hi, my 2005 alarm keeps going off. The car still drives even with the alarm going off. The key operates the car but does not have central locking as it’s a dummy case. Siren disconnected to stop the noise but hazards still flash when I drive. The central locking does not work by the key but oneday the car locked which I noticed as the boot locked, this has never locked before as the key did not central lock so was always unlocked when I opened the door with the key this is when the alarm went off. Inside the car the tow light is flashing all the time. Anyone help?

Old 09-16-2021, 07:41 AM
Default Re: Alarm

I had the same problem in my 2006. If I recall correctly there was a separate battery for the alarm, one that is not easily servicable.
I ended up just removing the alarm and battery pack, sure enough the battery was super corroded.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:47 AM

Hi was that the main module in the dash? I am getting quoted £2500 to get the car repaired which seems high.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:21 AM
Received 195 Likes on 163 Posts

How did you "disconnect" the siren? You may be able to by pass some or all of your problems if you disconnect fuse 9 under the hood. READ the identity card in the fuse box to be certain fuse#9 is correct. Seems each year could be a little different from the next as to which fuse does what.
The siren is located under the windshield cowl. When the cowl is removed the siren is in the center of the car. You should remove the siren from the car or replace it if you wish. You can drive the car fine without a siren. However, be advised the siren is the alert of the anti-theft system and from what you have mentioned in your #1 post it seems the anti-theft system may have a problem. That theft module is integrated into the air/vacuum pump which is located in the rear of the car under the truck. That air pump is what opens and locks doors as well as controls the flashing of the lights as well as the siren.
The first cause of your problems is leaking batteries inside the siren and then you may have a problem with water getting at the pump in the rear of the car.
Removing the cowl is not difficult, but you must get the wipers removed to lift the cowl and flip it forward.

PS Do not mess with that module under the dash until the others have been ruled out!!!

PPS the flashing lights are being set off by the anti-theft system. Try to rest the system by disconnecting the cars main battery for at least five minutes. After reconnecting the main battery the flashing light on the tow switch hopefully will stop flashing and thus your theft system is reset.

Last edited by zip439; 09-16-2021 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:57 AM

Thank you for the reply. A mechanic has already removed the dash as he said it was faulty and needs recalibration. He now says I need them all resetting so I have asked him to return the part to me and put the car back to how it was before he started. This is where he quoted £2500 to have them all reset. He never mentioned the sensor in the back of the car nor checked it. This is why I came here to get some advice as he sees it maybe as a quick way to make money from me!

Old 09-16-2021, 10:58 AM

Oh and a garage removed the siren to stop the sound as removing the fuse did not stop it.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:16 AM

The only module under the dash that I can think of which applies to this situation is the SKREEM module. If your car is starting then you do not have a problem with the SKREEM.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:21 AM

Yes the car starts fine and drove with no issues I just could not stop the indicators flashing. If I could get the indicators to stop flashing I would have searched harder for a dealership for advice. I did not know this forum existed, my mistake.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:34 AM
Received 351 Likes on 310 Posts

Your best mechanic is an independent shop that works on Mercedes ..

Old 09-16-2021, 03:11 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As mentioned earlier, if the locks are not working in addition to the alarm condition the obvious place to start is the body control module in the trunk area. Now that you know this forum exists it should be the first place you go when you encounter a problem. Dealers and mechanics often don’t know and understand the Crossfire well and taking it there will soon cost you more than the vehicle is worth. There is also hey Crossfire tech parts and rescue Facebook group that is helpful for asking questions and getting quick answers from experienced Crossfire owners. This forum is valuable because you can search and often find the exact problem you are experiencing a long with a detailed solution before asking a question that has already been asked A dozen times over or getting bad/conflicting answers.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:31 PM
Received 561 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by steveg140567
Thank you for the reply. A mechanic has already removed the dash as he said it was faulty and needs recalibration. He now says I need them all resetting so I have asked him to return the part to me and put the car back to how it was before he started. This is where he quoted £2500 to have them all reset. He never mentioned the sensor in the back of the car nor checked it. This is why I came here to get some advice as he sees it maybe as a quick way to make money from me!
This so called mechanic is not liable to know squat about the problem, get the car out of his hands ASAP before he ruins it.
The Body Control Module is under the hood in the black box by the battery in US cars.The locking is done by the CLP/SSM which is under the trunk carpet, if it gets wet then real trouble ensues. If your fob is missing the lock/unlock transmitter then the switch on the console should lock or unlock the doors etc. I think the flashing lights are controlled by the emergency flasher module on the console, but I cannot swear to that.

Old 09-16-2021, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the correction on the body control module. I am still relatively new to the Crossfire and have not had to deal with the SSM/CLP but I have read numerous threads over the past year and mistakenly thought I remembered it being referred to as the body control module. I don’t want to contribute to miss information on this forum
Originally Posted by onehundred80
This so called mechanic is not liable to know squat about the problem, get the car out of his hands ASAP before he ruins it.
The Body Control Module is under the hood in the black box by the battery in US cars.The locking is done by the CLP/SSM which is under the trunk carpet, if it gets wet then real trouble ensues. If your fob is missing the lock/unlock transmitter then the switch on the console should lock or unlock the doors etc. I think the flashing lights are controlled by the emergency flasher module on the console, but I cannot swear to that.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:29 PM

Gentlemen, the OPs tow alarm switch is blinking red indicating the alarm system has activated. I recommend he disconnect the cars main battery for five minutes before reconnecting. I hope this will reset the alarm system and the flashing lights will stop. Failing that, then he can investigate the flasher switch on the console and the CLP/SSM in the rear.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:10 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions as soon as I get the module back I have plenty of actions to try. Yes I feel you are right the mechanic that I hired does seem to be a bit of a con man. The sooner I get the car back to how it was the better I will be then I can 1 by 1 try all your suggestions and finally get my roadster back on the road.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:28 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions as soon as I get the module back I have plenty of actions to try. Yes I feel you are right the mechanic that I hired does seem to be a bit of a con man. The sooner I get the car back to how it was the better I will be then I can 1 by 1 try all your suggestions and finally get my roadster back on the road.
steveg there are two sets of lights that flash on the Crossfire.
1) the emergency flashers are the turn signal lights. When you press the red triangle on the console the two turn signal indicators on the dash will be blinking and the two turn signal lights on the front and rear of the car will also flash. If that occurs when you press the red triangle and then cease when you press the red triangle again to shut them off. You can assume that system is okay.
2) The anti-theft system will flash the fog lights, all four of the side marker lights and the small maker lights in the headlight assembles plus yellow lights in each rear tail light.

Let us know which set of lights are flashing on your car.

You can also download the service manual from this website. Click this link: Crossfire reference material

Old 10-09-2021, 07:48 AM

It gets worse ! The mechanic took the dash cluster out of the car and still has it and says it shown more modules faulty. Now unless I pay more he will not return the part. What a pickle

Old 10-09-2021, 07:50 AM

Would the dash cluster module have anything to do with the alarm going off all the time? I’m no mechanic but from responses here he should have looked at the RCM first? He didn’t look at that.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:39 AM

This isn’t an ideal suggestion but you should be able to get a used instrument cluster for around $50 and I believe there is someone on eBay who will reprogram the odometer for $90 or so. It might be a less expensive option if the mechanic is holding your instrument cluster for ransom.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:58 AM

Would the dash cluster module have anything to do with the alarm going off all the time? I’m no mechanic but from responses here he should have looked at the RCM first? He didn’t look at that.
no, the cluster has nothing to do with the alarm. The two primary issues are a bad alarm/siren (nimh batteries corrode circuit board) and the control security locking pump in the trunk gets corroded due to water penetration in trunk boot (very common). If you’ve removed siren and still having an issue then replace the locking pump and address the trunk water leak issue.

Old 10-09-2021, 02:47 PM

would the dash cluster module have anything to do with the alarm going off all the time? I’m no mechanic but from responses here he should have looked at the rcm first? He didn’t look at that.
no

Quick Reply: Alarm