Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Cold Weather & Louder Idling/Acceleration

Old 01-15-2024, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Weather & Louder Idling/Acceleration

Hello,

Something interesting happened over the weekend here, I drove my car on Saturday afternoon and all seemed normal, we had some freezing temperatures over sunday/monday night and I noticed that my crossfire was way louder today. I thought it might go away when it got up to temp, but it's been persistent throughout the day. Had to look under the car and see if someone cut the cat. converter off, but everything seems intact. Sounds like the loudness is coming from under the driver side, right around the wheel. Anyone ever run into an issue like that ? I'm having a bit of a time finding a mechanic around here that will touch a Crossfire, but I managed to schedule an appointment for Monday of next week, which is also the soonest anyone's been able to get me in...

Thanks in advance !

Old 01-15-2024, 04:31 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Re: Cold Weather & Louder Idling/Acceleration

Might be a cracked manifold or exhaust pipe. The cats have been known to crack also.

Last edited by ZERACER; 01-15-2024 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:25 PM
Received 387 Likes on 334 Posts

Does Seattle salt the roads in the winter? If so, how long was it driven (years).. If you can, put it up on jack stands (all 4 wheels) with the emergency brake on, and slide under to see if you can localize the noise. Could be the exhaust system but it could also be something stuck/wrapped around something in the drivetrain/frame chattering on something. Before you spend $m do a simple once over under the car. Good luck!

Old 01-16-2024, 09:41 AM

Typically they don't salt around here, they use liquid de-icer. I'll try and take it up to my buddy's house today and see if we can find whats making this puppy sound like a diesel truck !

Old 01-16-2024, 06:55 PM

I was searching the forums yesterday and I recall coming across some post where someone said "yeah mine idles like a train because of" and I can't recall what they said...I feel like it was something "valve hose" ? Thought I'd ask. Haven't found anything so far and it seems every shop in Seattle is working in overtime and is busy for weeks. Thankfully I found one that will take a look on Friday. Wish I was still living in a house, apartments and car repair is trash 😒

Old 01-22-2024, 01:53 PM

Well, the shop says there is a hole in my front driver side catalytic converter, going to recommend me to a muffler shop in the area. Anyone have any recommendations on a replacement part that's not crazy expensive ? I saw there are cats without the pipes that are fraction of the cost, my only concern is find a place that would actually weld one on - I'm not super huge car guy, I've done some minor repairs, but welding is a bit out of my league. Is this typically pretty easily done or are they going to want to replace the entire shebang ?

Thank you !

I'm already loving the mechanic bull**** around here "if you need to replace one, you need to replace all 4, that will be $3500" lol...gotta love nonsense.

Last edited by intrvrt; 01-22-2024 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:44 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Is the leak in the pipe or the actual converter? I would just try a welding shop? I assume you don't have a check engine light?

Old 01-22-2024, 03:54 PM

It does have a check engine light, but it's been on since I got the car last year. I've taken it to Oreily's a few times and but they were unable to pull any codes for it. I did end up ordering one today, just so I have that in my arsenal. My mechanic told me it was a hole in the cat itself, but they weren't able to tell me much about it and he is hesitant to work on that car (most people are around here). He said it's like something burned through it, perhaps it was clogged and just ruptured ? That's about all I got from them today. So far the cheapest place I found is 1200 bucks, first two were in 3K ranges. I'll have to lookup some welding shops, thank you !

UPDATE: Well, sounds like they did some more digging before I picked it up and it's a crack around the weld on the upper side of the left cat, told me I might be able to find someone to drop it and weld it back together...fingers crossed.

Last edited by intrvrt; 01-22-2024 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:45 PM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

You should try using this webpage link to locate an independent M-B service shop near Seattle: CLICK

Old 01-23-2024, 08:12 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by intrvrt
It does have a check engine light, but it's been on since I got the car last year. I've taken it to Oreily's a few times and but they were unable to pull any codes for it. I did end up ordering one today, just so I have that in my arsenal. My mechanic told me it was a hole in the cat itself, but they weren't able to tell me much about it and he is hesitant to work on that car (most people are around here). He said it's like something burned through it, perhaps it was clogged and just ruptured ? That's about all I got from them today. So far the cheapest place I found is 1200 bucks, first two were in 3K ranges. I'll have to lookup some welding shops, thank you !

UPDATE: Well, sounds like they did some more digging before I picked it up and it's a crack around the weld on the upper side of the left cat, told me I might be able to find someone to drop it and weld it back together...fingers crossed.
That is exactly the same area my catalytic converter cracked. I'm not much of a welder, but I removed the entire pipe from the car, welded the crack myself like five years ago and put it back on my car. It is still there and working fine. The crack could be what is causing your check engine light, When you get that repaired get the DTC scanned on your car and clear all of them. Check engine light might go out. Many auto part stores will scan for free, just ask them to clear them all and see how it goes.

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (01-24-2024)