Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

2004 cranks but won't start

Old 05-07-2024, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 cranks but won't start

Good morning, I have a 2004 Crossfire that will not start. It cranks fine, battery is charged, but will not start. I wiggled some wires that attach to the relays (RCM) and got it started (ran fine for quite a while), but then it wouldn't start again. I saw a post that mention TJ Thigle (?) and that he repairs the PCB containing the relays. How can I get in touch with this person? Thank you.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:04 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: 2004 cranks but won't start

Here is his email address: "D.J. Tighe" <tighed1@hotmail.com>

Old 05-07-2024, 09:05 AM
Received 196 Likes on 164 Posts

You may have a problem with the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) Need more information than you provide to be certain. How when did the car stop running and you found yourself in the situation where car turns over but doesn't start?

The information you request is in the second post of this thread: Mystery No Start

Old 05-07-2024, 09:31 AM

Thank you for the quick reply. Ok, car was in storage over winter with battery disconnected. I ran fine when put away. Hook the battery up this spring and engine cranked but would not start. If I sprayed starter fluid in it would fire but die almost immediately. I moved some wires around in the control.module box hoping to see something loose. Then all of a sudden the car would start. Started it several times and drove it probably 20 minutes. Got home turned it off, opened garage door, and when I went to start it, it ran really rough. Then stalled and would not start again.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:33 AM
Received 196 Likes on 164 Posts

Nothing specific jumps out at me, so I would proceed with sending the RCM to tighed1. With that refurbished we could move forward. While the RCM is in the mail check all your grounds: The main ground from the black battery to the fender, under the top of the windshield cleaner tank where you fill the bottle there are five brown wires connected to a stud and under the engine on the drivers side you will see a braided copper heavy wire from the frame to the engine. Be sure they are all clean and making good contact. If the battery is more than three years old you should replace it. Clear all the codes with a diagnostic scan tool after the RCM is returned and the battery reconnected. You may also want to buy a can of Deoxit D5 and use it when you reconnect the RCM. It is more than just an electrical contact cleaner. Hopefully there is no rodent damage hiding in wiring harnesses.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by zip439
Nothing specific jumps out at me, so I would proceed with sending the RCM to tighed1. With that refurbished we could move forward. While the RCM is in the mail check all your grounds: The main ground from the black battery to the fender, under the top of the windshield cleaner tank where you fill the bottle there are five brown wires connected to a stud and under the engine on the drivers side you will see a braided copper heavy wire from the frame to the engine. Be sure they are all clean and making good contact. If the battery is more than three years old you should replace it. Clear all the codes with a diagnostic scan tool after the RCM is returned and the battery reconnected. You may also want to buy a can of Deoxit D5 and use it when you reconnect the RCM. It is more than just an electrical contact cleaner. Hopefully there is no rodent damage hiding in wiring harnesses.
I know there is no rodent damage because it was stored in a "bag". But I will proceed to check.all the grounds. Thank you for the help and guidance.