TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

HOW TO: Make a $6 lower grill, and $20 upper grill

Old 06-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO: Make a $6 lower grill, and $20 upper grill

So I had to take my grill off to install the new IC pump. I've wanted to do something with the grills for a while but I can't justify dropping over $100 for grills. Bad enough what I paid for used side markers.

$6 LOWER GRILL
I saw these nice mesh lower grill from the UK which just needed zip ties. While at the Home Depot I saw the same mesh on a door screen (like the ones used to prevent pets from damaging the thin screen) ($12) The screen is big enough to make five (5) sets of grills, so if you have a couple friends and want to go in on it together that's how it breaks down to $6/set of grills. The second part is the black surrounds, I used the black door trim ($16) at autozone, the kind that people use to prevent door dings. And of course black zip ties ($2) Home Depot. 12+16+2 = 30, 30/5 = 6 bucks per grill. Dirt Cheap, I know. I kept my extra mesh for another project that I'm working on.

$20 UPPER GRILL
Bought some primer and gloss black engine paint (used on CAI as well - $10 autozone). Used a dremel tool to grind down extra "fins" on stock grill to get better air flow. And bought some chrome accents (the flat kind, NOT the kind used for doors - $10 autozone). It's an easy change, it matches the chrome wing in the hood better, and matches the car now.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Default Re: HOW TO: Make a $6 lower grill, and $20 upper grill

Same grill sells for about $2.25 as Rain gutter covers at Home Depot. But using small stainless wire instead of cable ties keeps the install invisable.
It looks as though you mounted the grill on one side with the mesh opening upwards and the other with the mesh opening downwards!
Easy to do if your not paying attention to details.
Oh well thats the difference in peoples detailing work...
Mike

Old 06-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Default Re: HOW TO: Make a $6 lower grill, and $20 upper grill

Montana,

This was the initial setup, the camera angle isn't the best, but they are on right (oriented the same way, I was very particular about that). I took it off since then so that I could paint black the bolt and bracket that hold the bumper to the car. The zip ties that were used in the photo were big ones that I had laying around, since then I have put on small ones that are far less visible. like you said attention to detail.

Regarding the use of the gutter, not a bad idea. I wanted extra screen for an extra set in case a rock damaged one or some corrosive action took place AND the rest was for a friend's vehicle (larger amount of screen required). And I came across the screen doors first.