TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Oil Capacity - 8.5QT vs 6QT?

Old 07-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Capacity - 8.5QT vs 6QT?

I've read the posts about the "notice" sent to dealers about an error in the service manual for the Crossfire regarding oil capacity.

I just had the double-wrench service performed on my 2004 Crossfire and the technician put in only 6QTs.

I mentioned the error and update to 8.5QTs, he said the dealership had received nothing from DC about a change.

We checked the dipstick, the oil was at the full mark, and we checked using the computer, which read "OK".

I'm hesitant to add 2.5QTs more since the dipstick reads full.

Any thoughts from any of the Crossfire mechanics? Does anyone have an actual copy of the notice sent to the dealers about an error in the service manual regarding oil capacity?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 07-30-2004, 09:31 AM

Sandmanqm,

I for one can tell you that 6 quarts is not enough. I got our xfire in july 03 and the first oil change was done at the dealer free of charge. They put in 6 quarts and I did not check the level myself after getting the car back. I soon noticed the oil light coming on and off rather randomly. When getting home I checked the dipstick and it was low. I added 2 quarts to get the level up to full and went to the dealer to inform them. A traveling rep from the factory was on site and told the service manager that the stated 6 quarts in the manuals was incorrect and that 8.5 was added. Drive a few miles and check the dipstick again. :roll: :roll:

Old 07-30-2004, 06:09 PM
Forum Regular
Old 07-31-2004, 12:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Capacity - 8.5QT vs 6QT?

Originally Posted by sandmanqm
Does anyone have an actual copy of the notice sent to the dealers about an error in the service manual regarding oil capacity?

Thanks,

Chris
No, but I have an owner's manual that clearly states 8.5 Qts. A replacement fluid capacities page had been glued into the book before I bought the car.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:13 AM

All,

Thanks for the information.

David, sounds like you have the only "official" release from DC.

I talked to the DC customer service line and they confirmed what the posts have said on the capacity. However, when I told them what the dipstick and oil sensor read, FULL and OK, they said don't add 2.5 quarts.

I looked at the owner's manual again and it states that difference between the ADD and FULL lines is 1 QT.

What I found frustrating from the DC customer service line though was, they stated that the capacity is 8.5QTs, but when I asked them if they were going to send out a correction to owners and dealers, "maybe, in the future."

Chris

Old 08-02-2004, 09:03 AM

What I found frustrating from the DC customer service line though was, they stated that the capacity is 8.5QTs, but when I asked them if they were going to send out a correction to owners and dealers, "maybe, in the future."

Chris
But they DID already notify dealerships. I could swear there was a post from Adam somewhere saying that the capacity had been corrected in the computerized system the dealers use.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:12 AM

David,

That is another frustrating point, I called three dealerships to ask them what amount of oil they put in and if they had received a notice.

Two of them stated they had not received a notice and were putting 6 QTs in, and the third one acknowleged receiving the notice, however they initially stated they put in 7 QTs, then 8 QTs vice 8.5 QTs.

It would seem prudent for DC to send a notice to all owners/dealers and post it on their website as part of the recall system they already have set-up.

Appears there is still not a coordinated customer service effort for DC's subsidary, Chrysler.

Chris

Old 08-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Forum Regular

There is two ways to check your levels (to see if the dealer messed up)

One, electronically (written by jsisabella):

Here is the procedure I used today and it worked fine:

1. The engine temp should be at a normal operating level and the car should be on a level surface.
2. Turn off the engine.
3. Turn on the ignition switch, but do not start the engine.
4. Press and hold the status indicator pushbutton switch (a more technical term...) for 3-5 seconds.
5. 1-2 seconds after releasing the switch, you will see an oil icon in the trip odometer display location and a clock icon in the odometer display.
6. Press the pushbutton twice, and the oil indicator will read ok, high, 1 Qt Low, or 2 Qt Low.
7. If the display continues to read blank. there is a problem with the sensor.
8. The display will clear itself in about 10 seconds, or you can clear it immediately by pressing the pushbutton one more time.

I tried this three times, and it worked each time. This method eliminates the five minute wait after stopping the engine. The only problem with this method is that it will reset your trip odometer.

Two - dip stick method (Thanks AZ Outlaws):

-marc

Old 08-02-2004, 11:11 AM

6/8 AKA 3/4...

Old 08-02-2004, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by WMichaels
6/8 AKA 3/4...
3/4 = 6/8.... ops::wink:

Old 08-02-2004, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by drunkiq
I tried this three times, and it worked each time. This method eliminates the five minute wait after stopping the engine. The only problem with this method is that it will reset your trip odometer.
Never reset the odometer when I do it.... :?

Old 08-03-2004, 12:04 AM
Forum Regular

AZ: It does reset my trip odometer....

And my dealer put in 8.5 quarts of oil at the change. The dipstick is over the full mark, and every now and then, the indicator will display "HI" for a few seconds.

It has done it two or three times since the oil was changed in April.

Should I have them drain out a bit?

Old 08-03-2004, 04:50 PM

Two of them stated they had not received a notice and were putting 6 QTs in, and the third one acknowleged receiving the notice, however they initially stated they put in 7 QTs, then 8 QTs vice 8.5 QTs.
:!: :!: :!:
whacky is the only word I can come up with to describe that.

Concur, D/C at the Service management level does not seem to give a hoot about us or this car.

a photo of the manual page:

note the upturned corner lower-right. I did that to try to show that this sheet is a correction pasted in after book was printed. I can't get it lifted enough to see what it said before.

Hmmm...here's something to try...Call a few Mercedes dealerships and ask what the oil capacity is for the 2003 SLK-320 (M112 3.2L engine).

Old 08-03-2004, 08:48 PM

Jim... don't know what to tell you. Just checked my oil using the directions in the book and my odometer stayed the same.

As you may remember... when I had my oil changed it also read high in the car and on the dipstick after they were done. The dealer drained a "cup" of oil (so they say it was a cup) to make it right.

Any way I'm gonna play games with them on the next oil change. I'm going to provide them with only 8 qts of "my" oil and tell them do not add any if it's low... I'll do it myself.

My oil was a little on the dirty side after they changed it last time. Maybe they didn't change the filter and serviced 8.5 qts anyway which would make it read high. This time I'm going to mark the filter housing and check if they really do change the filter.

I still have a couple of thousand before my next oil change. The FSS is letting me go 8.6k between oil changes this time....

Old 08-03-2004, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
I still have a couple of thousand before my next oil change. The FSS is letting me go 8.6k between oil changes this time....
I jsut rolled over 8100 this morning, FSS still reading 700 to go... I guess when I get back from CT I'll hafta change it. Luckily I have access to a loaner...

Now that I'm Chief of my Rescue Squad, I'll need this...!

Old 08-09-2004, 10:20 PM

I find that most crossfires take between 8 and 8.5 qts.Most of the time it is only 8.

Old 08-10-2004, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by David Burns
Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
I jsut rolled over 8100 this morning, FSS still reading 700 to go...
8300 this morning, and FSS says 600 to go. Since my CT trip was postponed until September, I'm trying to figure out which dealership to take it in to for service. I've heard good and bad reports about all three that are close to me.

Old 08-10-2004, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by knuckledragger
I find that most crossfires take between 8 and 8.5 qts.Most of the time it is only 8.
Thanks for the confirmation. Do you have a feel for what interval most have been brought in at? Are people changing at 3000 miles (like Jiffy Lube and most dealers want so they can get you in more often), or going with the FSS recommendation, or something else?

Old 08-10-2004, 03:02 PM

I took mine in to a dealer after the first 3,000 miles. I realize these guys are the exception but their recommendation was every 5,000 if I wanted to do it by mileage or let the car tell me when it needs attention.

Old 08-10-2004, 04:53 PM

Awhile back there were several threads concerning oil change intervals that went into some detail. There seemed to be three camps.... 3k miles, 5k, miles and go by what the FSS said. The threads made for some good reading.

Me, I go with what the FSS says. Mobil 1 Syn and the FSS were put in the car for a reason. IMO 3k is way too soon, the dealer is only trying to make money.

Quick Reply: Oil Capacity - 8.5QT vs 6QT?