TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to: Install dual USB charger

Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: How to: Install dual USB charger

Originally Posted by grip grip
Lol, this is getting silly. Maybe someone should start a thread titled "solution's to avoid installing a semi-permanent USB adapter"?

By the way, I have one of those USB cigarette lighter adapters beside me right now. This is my own fault, as I wan't more specific as to why I installed it. I've revised the thread now, so everyone isn't piling on with alternate solutions.

To late the damage is already done. No need for a new thread when there is an exchange of ideas to resolve an issue which took effort on your part concerning a usb port for your car. When you build it they will come, with ideas on how to do it better or easier and cheaper. Nice work though.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Has anyone installed a USB outlet in the trunk inorder to charge devices out of site. I was hoping to find an ignition switched power supply either in the trunk or behind the seats to avoid running a wire from the cigarette lighter or glove box light. Thanks

Old 07-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts

There are battery feeds, several of them, to the central locking pump (all cars), which is in the passenger wheel well (convertibles) or under the floor mat (coupes).
There are also two battery feeds to the power top module (convertibles) in the driver's side rear wheel well.

I know of no ignition switched power in the back of the car.

I've never owned a coupe. Getting to these battery feeds is SIMPLE in a convertible (you just raise the lid and the wiring harnesses are exposed), but I have no idea how to remove the trim of a coupe.
If you want to play around with this, you should download the service manual from our tech area. If you really want ignition switch power (WHY?) it is a simple matter (again, in convertibles) to run a line to the back from the underhood fuse box on the driver's side.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:13 PM
Received 564 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
There are battery feeds, several of them, to the central locking pump (all cars), which is in the passenger wheel well (convertibles) or under the floor mat (coupes).
There are also two battery feeds to the power top module (convertibles) in the driver's side rear wheel well.

I know of no ignition switched power in the back of the car.

I've never owned a coupe. Getting to these battery feeds is SIMPLE in a convertible (you just raise the lid and the wiring harnesses are exposed), but I have no idea how to remove the trim of a coupe.
If you want to play around with this, you should download the service manual from our tech area. If you really want ignition switch power (WHY?) it is a simple matter (again, in convertibles) to run a line to the back from the underhood fuse box on the driver's side.
Switched and un-switched power is available on the radio connector.

Red and yellow wires, forgot which is which though.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-12-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:26 PM
Received 402 Likes on 345 Posts

Just remember if you use a battery feed (hot all the time), you run the risk of leaving something plugged-in/energized and killing the battery (if left on). Just saying!

Old 07-12-2020, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies In the end I decided to run a line from the battery with a piggyback fuse which gives me a separate fuse to the device and the ability to easily change from lgnition switched to unstitched by just moving the piggyback fuse location in the fuse box. Thanks again