CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   TSBs and How-To Articles (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/)
-   -   Air Filters (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/63646-air-filters.html)

ala_xfire 08-31-2013 04:53 PM

Re: Air Filters

You should take a look at all the vacuum hoses when you have the engine cover off, whole thing sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
Try this :
Over on the drivers side you will see a hard plastic tube going over to the fender well and connecting to a solenoid close to the antilock brake stuff.
With the engine idling, unplug the hose from that solenoid. If the engine starts to shake worse, then probably no vacuum leak, but if it makes no difference when it is disconnected, then you need to find and fix the vacuum leak.

As to previous question about driving with the MAF disconnected, I have done this a couple of times, but not on purpose.
My MAF is in my NeedsWings single CAI, and I used to have to unplug it to remove / install my Mercedes C320 engine cover.
I have overlooked plugging it back in a few times, the symptoms are very rough and sometime high idle, also stumbling on acceleration.

Ottawa John 08-31-2013 05:15 PM

Good advice from alaxafire. It doesn't really sound like fuel filter or fuel pump to me because these will usually cause problems under load - when accelerating, etc. Because the MAF is related to the air filters and you have an obvious problem with dirt there, I suggested looking there first. All are trouble shooting ideas and take you from the simplest fix to some of the more complex. And don't ignore the battery even if it has been changed - I've had fuel issues related to the battery on other cars as well.
Please let us know how things work out for you.

JEFASOLD 08-31-2013 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Convertible girl (Post 756498)
The word "tricky" coming from men who work on cars is a tad nervewracking and may have me rethinking the idea of doing that. Maybe I will get lucky and the filters and/or the mass air flow sensor being clean will do the trick and I won't have to think about going down that road.

Changing the fuel filter/regulator is not the most difficult task but does require some hose clamps,( like large hemostats) and jacking up the car. I would suggest if it came to that, turn that job over to a more experienced mechanic. IMO though, that doesn't sound like your problem, I believe you're headed in the right direction.

Convertible girl 08-31-2013 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD (Post 756527)
Changing the fuel filter/regulator is not the most difficult task but does require some hose clamps,( like large hemostats) and jacking up the car. I would suggest if it came to that, turn that job over to a more experienced mechanic. IMO though, that doesn't sound like your problem, I believe you're headed in the right direction.

Well I certainly hope that you are correct that it's not my problem with the car. I'm going to do the MAFS and the Throttle body cleaning because I think I can manage it. I saw that the fuel filter itself is not expensive but that the mechanics charge an arm and two legs to do it so I'm hoping not to have to take it to them. Replacing the CPS was pretty easy thanks to MrMiata's instructions but I couldn't have put the connectors back onto the sensor backwards could I and that's why I'm still having the problem. I figured it was an only one way kind of fit like a plug in a socket.

pizzaguy 08-31-2013 08:44 PM

The CPS is a go/no go thing as far as the connector. If you put it on "wrong", the car does not start at all.

Convertible girl 08-31-2013 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ottawa John (Post 756508)
Good advice from alaxafire. It doesn't really sound like fuel filter or fuel pump to me because these will usually cause problems under load - when accelerating, etc. Because the MAF is related to the air filters and you have an obvious problem with dirt there, I suggested looking there first. All are trouble shooting ideas and take you from the simplest fix to some of the more complex. And don't ignore the battery even if it has been changed - I've had fuel issues related to the battery on other cars as well.
Please let us know how things work out for you.

I don't know how old the battery is because the darn thing isn't marked, so I will do the cleaning issue on the two things and if that doesn't work Auto Zone should be able to hook something up to the battery and tell me if it has a problem right? I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of this advice because #1) I need it and #2) it has me doing things I never thought I could do! And I will lyk how it finally turn out.

Convertible girl 08-31-2013 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 756530)
The CPS is a go/no go thing as far as the connector. If you put it on "wrong", the car does not start at all.

good to know I didn't screw that up!

pizzaguy 08-31-2013 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Convertible girl (Post 756531)
I don't know how old the battery is because the darn thing isn't marked, so I will do the cleaning issue on the two things and if that doesn't work Auto Zone should be able to hook something up to the battery and tell me if it has a problem right?

If they do a draw test (the only test they can do) and it fails, then replace it.

But there is on way to test it's filtering ability. I go by age on batteries, or worse yet, by replacing them and seeing if that fixes the problem. A costly troubleshooting technique, I know. Id try the MAF and other things first.

But that battery SHOULD have an install date on it, or a "sold" date - how else could they have prorated the warranty, should a claim have been made????

Convertible girl 08-31-2013 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 756535)
If they do a draw test (the only test they can do) and it fails, then replace it.

But there is on way to test it's filtering ability. I go by age on batteries, or worse yet, by replacing them and seeing if that fixes the problem. A costly troubleshooting technique, I know. Id try the MAF and other things first.

But that battery SHOULD have an install date on it, or a "sold" date - how else could they have prorated the warranty, should a claim have been made????

Beats me on the date not on it..did you see the pic I posted of the battery?

Convertible girl 09-01-2013 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 756507)
You should take a look at all the vacuum hoses when you have the engine cover off, whole thing sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
Try this :
Over on the drivers side you will see a hard plastic tube going over to the fender well and connecting to a solenoid close to the antilock brake stuff.
With the engine idling, unplug the hose from that solenoid. If the engine starts to shake worse, then probably no vacuum leak, but if it makes no difference when it is disconnected, then you need to find and fix the vacuum leak.

As to previous question about driving with the MAF disconnected, I have done this a couple of times, but not on purpose.
My MAF is in my NeedsWings single CAI, and I used to have to unplug it to remove / install my Mercedes C320 engine cover.
I have overlooked plugging it back in a few times, the symptoms are very rough and sometime high idle, also stumbling on acceleration.

Okay...unplugged the vacuum hose and with the car idling, it started to shake so I guess that's good news. I have installed the new air filters and I'm going to find and review how to removed the MAFS and the throttle body and do that since the engine cover is off. Thanks for the tip on the vacuum hose and wish me luck on the next two things!

Convertible girl 09-01-2013 01:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Ottawa John (Post 756506)
I wouldn't worry about all the testing. Do your best with the aerosol cleaning process because it won't hurt anything to clean it as part of a general maintenance item, put it back together and go for a drive. This is a simpler thing than the fuel pump and fuel filter, and you want to eliminate the simple things first. If this fixes it, problem solved. If not, you can look into the next issues.

Well I was going to go ahead and take out the MAFS but I don't see anything to unscrew. It almost looks like I could put a screwdriver at the top and pop it off? I took two pics of opposite sides incase I'm wrong and you can tell me what to do and also of what I think is the throttle body since the hose from the MAFS runs to it. Do I just unscrew it to get it out, or just open it up once it's unscrewed? Sure wish their were videos of the stuff specific to the crossfires. I think I'm going to buy the repair manual!

onehundred80 09-01-2013 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Convertible girl (Post 756582)
Well I was going to go ahead and take out the MAFS but I don't see anything to unscrew. It almost looks like I could put a screwdriver at the top and pop it off? I took two pics of opposite sides incase I'm wrong and you can tell me what to do and also of what I think is the throttle body since the hose from the MAFS runs to it. Do I just unscrew it to get it out, or just open it up once it's unscrewed? Sure wish their were videos of the stuff specific to the crossfires. I think I'm going to buy the repair manual!

The first picture shows the MAF sensor, it is held in with two screws. These screws are tamper proof screws and have five sided sockets in them, I opened mine after I had removed the whole sensor.
I doubt it is the sensor anyway. To remove the sensor itself is harder than removing the MAF unit as a whole and spraying the sensor while till screwed in place in the MAF unit as you do not need the special screws driver bit.

The repair manual can be down loaded from this site.

Go here. (Click)

The MAF unit, from the bottom, showing the sensor, your one is on the left in the picture.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...m/DSC_0836.JPG

Convertible girl 09-01-2013 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 756584)
The first picture shows the MAF sensor, it is held in with two screws. These screws are tamper proof screws and have five sided sockets in them, I opened mine after I had removed the whole sensor.
I doubt it is the sensor anyway. To remove the sensor itself is harder than removing the MAF unit as a whole and spraying the sensor while till screwed in place in the MAF unit as you do not need the special screws driver bit.

The repair manual can be down loaded from this site.
Go here. (Click)

Okay well I don't see those screws anyway so I will just spray into it where it sits and wipe it up with the blue shop towels and take it for a spin and see if I'm good to go.

Convertible girl 09-01-2013 04:08 PM

So here is where I am at so far. I've replaced the crankshaft position sensor, replaced the air filters, disconnected the vacuum hose and let the car idle *it started shaking*, cleaned the MAFS *just through the top of it since I couldn't find the screws to attempt to remove it* and drove up to Auto Zone and had them check the battery which was deemed perfectly fine. Although the car is driving better it still is not normal. It did not act up at every stop sign and light. The few times it did in the 3 mile trip there and back, it just shook a little *not rough..kinda of a gentle shaking for a few seconds* and then stopped doing it while I was still at the light. One of the few times it did that, it then felt like it got a surge of energy after shaking so that if my foot was off of the brake it would have taken off. The change for sure is that when I went to take off from a green light it never hesitated like it was doing before. Any other ideas? Spark plugs? I didn't disconnect the MAFS because the opinion has been that that's probably not my problem. It's too bad I don't know what's been done to the car over it's life. When I bought a lexus I was able to access all of it's repair history which was helpful.

Ottawa John 09-01-2013 05:32 PM

Changing your spark plugs may help overall, depending on your mileage, but it will not be the cause of your problem. If you are noticing an improvement now, but not perfect, then that brings me back to your MAF sensor, and it may need a little more cleaning. I'd say keep doing what you're doing for a little more and see if you can improve it further. The sensor is really not much more than a thin bare wire inside the housing that sends a reading to the computer. As the air goes through it, it sends a signal to the computer to tell it how much fuel to supply. If it's dirty the computer won't get the proper signal and you can experience these problems. If the sensor is defective, you won't fix it by cleaning and it will need to be replaced. It won't always turn on your check engine light, but there may be a code stored and a reader will tell you that.
It's likely a simple problem that's relatively easy to fix, but frustrating to diagnose properly.
But I'd try a little more cleaning - spray inside and try to flush off that internal MAF wire, but don't exert force by physically rubbing on it - it's delicate.

Convertible girl 09-01-2013 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ottawa John (Post 756603)
Changing your spark plugs may help overall, depending on your mileage, but it will not be the cause of your problem. If you are noticing an improvement now, but not perfect, then that brings me back to your MAF sensor, and it may need a little more cleaning. I'd say keep doing what you're doing for a little more and see if you can improve it further. The sensor is really not much more than a thin bare wire inside the housing that sends a reading to the computer. As the air goes through it, it sends a signal to the computer to tell it how much fuel to supply. If it's dirty the computer won't get the proper signal and you can experience these problems. If the sensor is defective, you won't fix it by cleaning and it will need to be replaced. It won't always turn on your check engine light, but there may be a code stored and a reader will tell you that.
It's likely a simple problem that's relatively easy to fix, but frustrating to diagnose properly.
But I'd try a little more cleaning - spray inside and try to flush off that internal MAF wire, but don't exert force by physically rubbing on it - it's delicate.

I didn't spray a ton in because I didn't know how much is too much. I just sprayed down throught the top which looks like a grate. Do you think I need to figure out how to take it off and just clean the entire thing really well? My mileage is under 60,000.

Ottawa John 09-01-2013 05:49 PM

I don't think that there is a "too much" for the cleaner. You really want to flush the components out and that means dislodging whatever might be interfering with the signal. And if you have noticed an improvement so far, then it's worth pursuing further. 180 provided pictures from the bottom, so you can see the sending unit under the "grate" that you mention. There will be a small wire inside this and that is what you need to clean. Give it a good flush or two, take it for a drive, and if need be give it another flush.
Hopefully this solves it for you, but please let us know.

Convertible girl 09-01-2013 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ottawa John (Post 756606)
I don't think that there is a "too much" for the cleaner. You really want to flush the components out and that means dislodging whatever might be interfering with the signal. And if you have noticed an improvement so far, then it's worth pursuing further. 180 provided pictures from the bottom, so you can see the sending unit under the "grate" that you mention. There will be a small wire inside this and that is what you need to clean. Give it a good flush or two, take it for a drive, and if need be give it another flush.
Hopefully this solves it for you, but please let us know.

Okay I took the engine cover back off and sprayed through the top really well and went around it at different angles so I was hopefully getting everything in there. Just want to say thank you to you and everyone else who has given me advice on my problem. It's all shown me that I can do things I didn't think I could do and has kept me out of my mechanic garage spending too much money so far.

Ottawa John 09-01-2013 07:36 PM

You're very welcome - but did it help?

Convertible girl 09-01-2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ottawa John (Post 756617)
You're very welcome - but did it help?

I didn't take it out yet. I left it in the garage with the hood up. Was planning on spraying it some more in the morning and taking in out for a test drive.