TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Headliner Removal

Old 06-16-2016, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headliner Removal

So the headliner is coming unglued from the drivers side and around the edges above the windshield. How hard of a job is this to remove the headliner so I can re-glue in all the places there are sags?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2016, 10:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Headliner Removal

forum member onehundred80 has put together a pdf with instructions to remove the headliner:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...placement.html

it's a bit tricky but not too difficult. you have to bend and manipulate the headliner board a little to get it out the passenger door - your headliner was originally installed through the hole that was later filled by the windshield. getting some of the clips out and back in successfully can try your patience as well. If you do it yourself try to make sure your dash is covered with a sheet or something similar to avoid scratches - especially to the soft trim above the instrument cluster.

you are unlikely to have much success attempting to re-glue the headliner, especially from an aesthetics standpoint. The foam backing is deteriorating, and anywhere you attempt to reattach will be noticeable. Not to mention, other parts of the headliner that are currently attached will gradually start to sag as well. You really need to remove the headliner, clean off all the foam backing, and use a suitable high-temp adhesive to attach new headliner material to the board. You can do this yourself [I redid mine, it came out so-so in some of the corners/curvy areas, so it's on my list of things to (re)do - but the replacement material is adhering well after several years]. Or, just take it to a pro and have them do it. You can save some $ on replacement cost by removing the headliner and reinstalling it yourself if you are fairly handy and careful. there are some good you tube tutorials that provide instructions for applying new fabric.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headliner Removal

Originally Posted by Rob M
forum member onehundred80 has put together a pdf with instructions to remove the headliner:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...placement.html

it's a bit tricky but not too difficult. you have to bend and manipulate the headliner board a little to get it out the passenger door - your headliner was originally installed through the hole that was later filled by the windshield. getting some of the clips out and back in successfully can try your patience as well. If you do it yourself try to make sure your dash is covered with a sheet or something similar to avoid scratches - especially to the soft trim above the instrument cluster.

you are unlikely to have much success attempting to re-glue the headliner, especially from an aesthetics standpoint. The foam backing is deteriorating, and anywhere you attempt to reattach will be noticeable. Not to mention, other parts of the headliner that are currently attached will gradually start to sag as well. You really need to remove the headliner, clean off all the foam backing, and use a suitable high-temp adhesive to attach new headliner material to the board. You can do this yourself [I redid mine, it came out so-so in some of the corners/curvy areas, so it's on my list of things to (re)do - but the replacement material is adhering well after several years]. Or, just take it to a pro and have them do it. You can save some $ on replacement cost by removing the headliner and reinstalling it yourself if you are fairly handy and careful. there are some good you tube tutorials that provide instructions for applying new fabric.

I had the same issue last year and just changed out the whole liner. I followed the pdf above - I did find that removing the glove box door allowed the headliner to come out and go back-in in minutes without any bending.